• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MCV launches new Volvo B8RLE single-decker

Status
Not open for further replies.

HY_4273

According to the Coach & Bus Week magazine website https://cbwmagazine.com/mcv-launches-new-volvo-b8rle-single-decker/ :

"MCV has launched its new single-deck bus, which is based on the Volvo B8RLE chassis. It benefits from family styling and shared components with its double-deck sibling, the eVoSeti.

"Called eVoRa (sic), the new single-deck bus is being sold in the UK and Ireland by Volvo. The first three examples of the new model have already been sold; six are available for stock; and six more are on the way.

"The 12.2m heavyweight offers 46 passenger seats, 43 of which are forward facing with three-point seatbelts. One wheelchair can be accommodated."

...Click the link to see four photos, a sneak preview of a big report in next week's edition, according to the link. What do you think of the new bus?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I don't know what it is about MCV's products that makes them look really, really cheap and nasty. Possibly it's the complete absence of any kind of styling, it looks as boxy and basic as a first edition Plaxton bodied Dennis Dart. (Admittedly better than the low floor Marshall Dart, but that really is ploughing the depths of 1990s rubbish).

Are they actually cheaper than the others in the market?

goblinuser

I don't know what it is about MCV's products that makes them look really, really cheap and nasty. Possibly it's the complete absence of any kind of styling, it looks as boxy and basic as a first edition Plaxton bodied Dennis Dart. (Admittedly better than the low floor Marshall Dart, but that really is ploughing the depths of 1990s rubbish).

Are they actually cheaper than the others in the market?
Agreed, compared to the latest ADL and Wright single deckers it looks outdated.

Last edited:

class387

Established Member
The interior and sides look fine, but the front literally looks like an Evoseti that has crashed into a bridge, with the small wind screen and wasted space. Could they not have designed a front to fit the bus rather than just crudely using the Evoseti one?

class387

Established Member
Uno Hatfield appear to be the first to order this bus, for the 610 Luton - Cockfosters (my local route :rolleyes:):

http://www.volvobuses.co.uk/en-gb/news/2018/feb/number-one-choice-for-uno-bus.html

Commercial Bus Operator Uno Bus has purchased six new Volvo B8RLE single deck buses, as a part of a planned fleet upgrade on its Hertfordshire bus network.

The bespoke vehicles, with MCV Evolution bodywork, will serve students of the University of Hertfordshire and members of the local community on a route with stops including Luton Airport, The University of Hertfordshire, Hatfield and ending at Cockfosters.

Jim Thorpe, Managing Director for Uno Bus, said: “We went through a formal tendering process and Volvo came out on top when it came to the size, capacity and appeal. The introduction of these six new single deck vehicles forms part of our transformational programme, creating an enhanced customer experience for our passengers.

“We’ve worked closely with Volvo to create an interior that will provide the very best in comfort and facilities. We’ve also included sofa seating at the front of the bus which gives the customers more space and offers a relaxed, lounge type feel.”

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
The interior and sides look fine, but the front literally looks like an Evoseti that has crashed into a bridge, with the small wind screen and wasted space. Could they not have designed a front to fit the bus rather than just crudely using the Evoseti one?

Surely the point is that it enables commonality with the Evoseti so allowing fewer/lower spares to be carried through the supply chain?

HY_4273

Have any of you seen the video on the Coach & Bus Week magazine YouTube channel at:
? You can get a feel for the on-board noise, finish and space. I like the inside, I have to say.

MotCO

Established Member
The rear blind box looks like a stuck-on after-thought - why can't it be designed into the bodywork?

The other thing I can't understand is how did MCV manage to sell so many EvoSetis in such a short time -Go-Ahead have ordered loads for their double deck route tender victories in London for example - when Optare still can't sell a single Metrodecker? (Ok - they may be in the throes of selling 3 for park and ride duties in York, but I'm not sure wheter or not it is a firm order)? Is it all down to price plus a proven chassis, whilst the Metrodecker is all new, with unproven electric propulsion?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
when Optare still can't sell a single Metrodecker? (Ok - they may be in the throes of selling 3 for park and ride duties in York, but I'm not sure wheter or not it is a firm order)? Is it all down to price plus a proven chassis, whilst the Metrodecker is all new, with unproven electric propulsion?

The Metrodecker is offered with diesel power plants too. Half a decade down the line and they've still not actually delivered any orders, and yet i get moaned at for saying it's been an utter failure like the Rapta. All of Optares products are struggling right now sadly so i'll leave it at that.

winston270twm

Established Member
The Metrodecker is offered with diesel power plants too. Half a decade down the line and they've still not actually delivered any orders, and yet i get moaned at for saying it's been an utter failure like the Rapta. All of Optares products are struggling right now sadly so i'll leave it at that.

Really??

So Solo's don't count then and I suppose the 114 Metrocity's for NZ are insignificant, plus the Metrocity is gaining sales in the UK:
http://www.optare.com/news/2017/9/22/optare-drives-international-market-with-nz40m-new-zealand-deal
http://www.optare.com/news/2018/2/12/optare-solo-begins-operation-in-hong-kong

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Really??

So Solo's don't count then and I suppose the 114 Metrocity's for NZ are insignificant, plus the Metrocity is gaining sales in the UK:
http://www.optare.com/news/2017/9/22/optare-drives-international-market-with-nz40m-new-zealand-deal
http://www.optare.com/news/2018/2/12/optare-solo-begins-operation-in-hong-kong

Their sales are pretty low in the UK though just now when compared to previous years. That Solo in HK is on trials.
In the September 2017 > February 2018 period they delivered 36 buses in the UK, hardly anything to shout about considering in previous years they've delivered 5 times that number. This month they've only delivered 2 buses...

6Gman

Established Member
The rear blind box looks like a stuck-on after-thought - why can't it be designed into the bodywork?

The other thing I can't understand is how did MCV manage to sell so many EvoSetis in such a short time -Go-Ahead have ordered loads for their double deck route tender victories in London for example - when Optare still can't sell a single Metrodecker? (Ok - they may be in the throes of selling 3 for park and ride duties in York, but I'm not sure wheter or not it is a firm order)? Is it all down to price plus a proven chassis, whilst the Metrodecker is all new, with unproven electric propulsion?

Price.
Delivery time.

winston270twm

Established Member
Their sales are pretty low in the UK though just now when compared to previous years. That Solo in HK is on trials.
In the September 2017 > February 2018 period they delivered 36 buses in the UK, hardly anything to shout about considering in previous years they've delivered 5 times that number. This month they've only delivered 2 buses...

You never previously mentioned UK deliveries, you said 'All of Optares products are struggling' which isn't the case. The NZ order accounts for circa 25 buses per month capacity alone and the HK Solo seed vehicle suggests Optare are targeting overseas markets for future orders/growth. With Wrightbus making 95 redundancies, First Group having cut their new bus orders for 2018, Lothian buying ex London Volvo/Wrights DD's to refurb, NXWM only took delivery of 38 new DD's during 2017 etc it all suggests the volume of new UK buses orders have fallen significantly.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Their sales are pretty low in the UK though just now when compared to previous years.

Increased demand on main routes (driven by ENCTS) and cuts to smaller routes have driven a move to bigger buses, as well as competition from similar products like those from Alexander Dennis. But the Solo has been phenomenally successful in the UK as a whole, to the point where it is near synonymous with the local (and particularly rural) bus route throughout the UK.

MotCO

Established Member
But the Solo has been phenomenally successful in the UK as a whole, to the point where it is near synonymous with the local (and particularly rural) bus route throughout the UK.
And much better looking than the Streetlite.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Increased demand on main routes (driven by ENCTS) and cuts to smaller routes have driven a move to bigger buses, as well as competition from similar products like those from Alexander Dennis. But the Solo has been phenomenally successful in the UK as a whole, to the point where it is near synonymous with the local (and particularly rural) bus route throughout the UK.
The Solo does appear to be having some form of meaningful competition if you discount Wright's WF (Wheel Forward) Streetlite's which are nothing short of awful. There seems to have been a resurgence of the Minibuses (Breadvans as they are sometimes referred to) with the Mercedes+Mellor combination receiving orders from quite a few of the big names such as Stagecoach with their Little and Often brand in Ashford, Arriva in Macclesfield and Transdev with the recent award of contracts from TLC, those are just the ones of the top of my head.
Optare do however still seem to be the preferred choice for Transdev with the vast majority of the single decker orders being for Optare Solo's and Versas, I think another one will be announced shortly for the 464 route (Rochdale-Accrington) from the recently acquired Rosso.
Sam

MotCO

Established Member
Minibuses (Breadvans as they are sometimes referred to) with the Mercedes+Mellor combination receiving orders from quite a few of the big names such as Stagecoach with their Little and Often brand in Ashford, Arriva in Macclesfield
Sam
Although Arriva's in Guildford seem to have fallen out of favour - they replaced larger buses with no increase in frequency leading to overcrowding.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I don't really see the sense in the breadvan resurgence without other service concepts like reservations - too much chance of it being "little and a big queue".

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Although Arriva's in Guildford seem to have fallen out of favour - they replaced larger buses with no increase in frequency leading to overcrowding.
:rolleyes:
I seem to remember reading something about the Little and Often brand in Ashford being a success with passenger numbers growing on both the B & C routes meaning that the minibuses were introduced on E & G with upped frequency's on each.
You do have to wonder on the basis of your comments what the managers would thought would happen when they chose that option.
Sam

class387

Established Member
I don't think the Sprinters (as used in Guildford and Hemel) are a very good idea as they are too small for any sustainable route, but the Mellor Stratas I can see working. They are very good, even compared to some 'proper' buses and have a high enough capacity.

E-Rail

Because the Evoseti is a superb bus. I can't speak for the B5LH but the B5TL Evoseti is the best Volvo decker to drive since the Olympian. They are solid, rattle free and have ride, response and handling that is in another league from the ADL/Wright products. The back up from MCV and MC is also top rate.

Let's hope either Volvo or MCV take a chance and sell the new tri-axle B8L Evoseti into the UK too as it would be sure to find plenty of buyers in the Private Hire market.

MotCO

Established Member
Because the Evoseti is a superb bus... They are solid, rattle free and have ride, response and handling that is in another league from the ADL/Wright products.
Why is the response on a B5 chassis with an Evoseti body better than a B5 bodied by Wrights?

E-Rail

Better to direct that question at the MCV Development team. I can only speak from a drivers point of view. The build quality of the MCV is far superior to that of Wrights. You only need to listen to the state of the brand new deliveries to Transdev on YouTube although here in Dorset, the Yellow Bus Gemini 3 batch are just as bad for rattles. The Purbeck Breezer Evosetis are virtually rattle free after almost two years. Price wise, at standard spec, they are about the same.

Mikey C

Established Member
The B5LH chassis is very popular in London at the moment. For a while Wrights almost had a monopoly on bodying them (other than a small number of ADL bodied ones for Stagecoach). If Optare had continued to body Volvo chassis, then no doubt they would have picked up some decent business, but instead MCV have come in as the alternative bodywork for them

Personally I find the Evoseti plain, but quite smart and more attractive than the unfortunate Gemini 3 which is a major step backwards from the Gemini 2 in terms of looks and the passenger experience upstairs.

Having said that I hate the downstairs experience in the Volvos, as the rear section is all over the place, with a really uneven floor when compared to the E400 and the previous B7 and B9 Volvos which have a flat floor through to near the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.