• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mechanical signalling on Anglesey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Very nice photos and details.
What's the reason for closing the town footbridge at Holyhead?
Is it Covid, or some structural problem - it's nearly new!
Holyhead is to be my first destination by train when I can pluck up the courage to get back on one.
I bet there weren't many passengers on the double Voyager...

Last edited:

bramling

Veteran Member
It it Covid, or some structural problem - it's nearly new!
Holyhead is to be my first destination by train when I can pluck up the courage to get back on one.

The reason for closure of the footbridge I believe was anti-social behaviour.

Whilst the journey from Chester to Holyhead is superb, Holyhead as a destination sadly has the run-down ambience found at many seaside port towns. I wouldn’t say it’s dire (Rhyl is worse!), but equally it’s the sort of place one visits to tick off the list, if you get my meaning.

_toommm_

Established Member
Platform 2 is closed currently at Holyhead too. When I was there on Friday the announcements made it sound like P2 would be closed permanently, and some of the track near the buffers was partially buried.

Railway World

Whilst the journey from Chester to Holyhead is superb, Holyhead as a destination sadly has the run-down ambience found at many seaside port towns. I wouldn’t say it’s dire (Rhyl is worse!), but equally it’s the sort of place one visits to tick off the list, if you get my meaning.

Is it Covid, or some structural problem - it's nearly new!
Plenty of empty seats on the double voyager I travelled on to Holyhead - 10.49 ex-Crewe on Monday, 10 May, which is the same service I photographed two days later passing the Ty Croes distant!

Pacef8

I plan a day trip on my bike from there so thanks for the heads up to avoid the town. Such a shame

Welshman

Established Member

I do wonder if those who make throwaway comments about Rhyl have been back recently and seen the improvements.
The beach is superb, the harbour area very attractive and the front very much improved.
As with other seaside towns, some shops have closed due to the present economic difficulties or the pandemic, but a serious effort has been made to improve it.
Michael Portillo's recent episode on Rhyl and the Marine Lake Railway gave a very positive image, and that is what is needed.

Last edited:

Tomos y Tanc

I plan a day trip on my bike from there so thanks for the heads up to avoid the town. Such a shame
Have you thought that people like you avoiding the town might be part of the problem?

Sure, it's poor, but Holyhead is rammed full of historic interest. Maybe you should ignore the advice of snobs lamenting the lack of soy lates and shops selling overpriced 'crafts' and 'artisan foods' and pay it a visit. The same goes for Rhyl.

Last edited by a moderator:

trebor79

Established Member
I spent a weekend in Holyhead a few years ago (ostensibly on a sailing weekend, but the weather was much too grim for any of that) and didn't think it was particularly poor or downtrodden. Drove there though, in hindsight I should have taken the train.

Pacef8

Fair enough i see your point and we have been to rhyl not long ago. Cheep cafes in town by the market. I dont do any of that latte nonsense so beans and cheese baked potato under 4 quid is my target.

vic-rijrode

Nothing wrong with a latte - just with some of the perople who drink it. Probably the same people who say "train station"...

najaB

Veteran Member
Holyhead as a destination sadly has the run-down ambience found at many seaside port towns. I wouldn’t say it’s dire (Rhyl is worse!), but equally it’s the sort of place one visits to tick off the list, if you get my meaning
Or while you're waiting to get the ferry. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.