• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Media Coverage of COVID -19

Status
Not open for further replies.

kez19

Established Member

Talk of a another lockdown.... so I guess Joe Public has no life then? .... whats the point?

I read somewhere unless its to do with a lockdown in England somewhere or its a rule of a 10pm curfew? Very North Korea like! (its OK I can see Sturgeon also going with this...)

new slogan:

Stay safe, stay inside, be in bed by 10pm!, control the virus and wash your hands...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DB

What rag in particular? The Sun or pick any rag of choice? :E :E

Marketing opportunity there! Has anyone produced a mask yet with an inflamatory tabloid front page printed on it?

kez19

Established Member
Marketing opportunity there! Has anyone produced a mask yet with an inflamatory tabloid front page printed on it?

:E :E :E :E, don't give people ideas I guess some will find Page 3 more useful than the front or back!

Jamiescott1

Its good to see the mail (and to a less extent the sun) totally against the governments restrictions on gatherings

Bantamzen

Established Member
Its good to see the mail (and to a less extent the sun) totally against the governments restrictions on gatherings

This is one time when a political rift will actually be of benefit to us. For all the media have had a field day with Covidphobia, there is nothing more juicy for them internal political fighting. Its the bread and butter of many of the newspapers, and they smell blood. Clearly there is now deep unrest within the Conservative Party about ongoing, and erratic restrictions, and the dreaded 'B' word also starting to cause some really quite serious problems I can see a really you-know-what-storm brewing. And the media will wade right in, hopefully inadvertently discovering the weakness of evidence used to justify many of these measures, and hopefully convincing more of the public that enough is enough.

jtuk

Steve Baker, one of the few MPs that seems to get it, very good interview on Today just now

adc82140

Established Member
My local MP is Desmond Swayne. Up until now I have utterly despised him, he is an extreme Brexiteer. But he is the person that stood up in Parliament to object to compulsory face coverings, and he is also the person who caused the speaker to give Matt Hancock a dressing down.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Good article from Ireland. We need people inside our NHS to speak up like this:
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/hea...19-condemned-by-hse-doctor-1.4352701?mode=amp
Covid-19 is “much less severe” than the average annual flu and current “draconian” restrictions are no longer justified, according to a senior Health Service Executive Doctor.

People at low risk from the virus should be exposed to it so they can develop herd immunity and reduce the risk to vulnerable groups, according to Dr Martin Feeley, clinical director of the Dublin Midlands Hospital Group.

“That is what is happening and yet the policy seems to be to prevent it,” he says. “This should have been allowed to happen during the summer months before the annual flu season, to reduce the workload on the health service during winter months.”

Any assessment of Ireland’s strategy to combat the virus should take into account the cost to people’s quality of life, according to the former vascular surgeon, who points out that “you can’t postpone youth”.

“The financial cost can be seen in any walk or drive through cities, towns and villages. Mortgage repayments and other financial setbacks are virtually all suffered by the young worker or business person and not by the over-65, who are guaranteed their pension, as indeed are the salaries of the individuals who decide to inflict these draconian measures,” the 70 year old told The Irish Times

james60059

The media have been appalling, creating unnecessary hysteria over Covid-19 and creating the panic buying, which looks like it's starting up again, went into our local Asda yesterday morning and there was NO pasta at all, and even the loo roll was quite low too.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
The media have been appalling, creating unnecessary hysteria over Covid-19 and creating the panic buying, which looks like it's starting up again, went into our local Asda yesterday morning and there was NO pasta at all, and even the loo roll was quite low too.
I never quite understood the panic-buying of toilet rolls. If this virus were something that gave it’s recipients diarrhoea, then I could see why you might want to have plenty ‘to hand’ as it were...

adc82140

Established Member
Oh dear. Just oh dear. The opinions of one scientist, dressed up to look as if it's government policy. I'm afraid Prof Openshaw doesn't understand economics, or law & order issues. The French and Spanish are treating the increase in cases with a gallic shrug. Why would any government just render a chunk of its population unemployed?

The UK faces another national lockdown "in short order" unless people abide by new COVID-19 restrictions, a government adviser has told Sky News.

Peter Openshaw, a professor of experimental medicine at Imperial College London, told Sophy Ridge on Sunday the public "must act fast" to stop the spread of coronavirus.

He said: "I think everyone is in agreement that we really need to act very quickly now in order to prevent this from growing exponentially and that's the main point, is that we must act fast because it is so much harder to get this sort of thing under control if you delay even a few days.

bramling

Veteran Member
I never quite understood the panic-buying of toilet rolls. If this virus were something that gave it’s recipients diarrhoea, then I could see why you might want to have plenty ‘to hand’ as it were...

We stopped off in Sainsbury’s on Friday night, pasta shelves empty and some conspicuous empty space in the toilet roll shelves.

It was said at the time that the toilet rolls, and panic buying, is a psychological thing - people feel threatened, so have to devise a reaction to make them feel like they’ve regained some control of the situation by doing something. So Karen can pull up at home and announce to her kids “look how prepared we are, I’ve just bought ten packs of toilet roll, and the cupboards are stuffed full of pasta”. Unfortunately then others copy either out of simply copycat, or more rationally realising that if they don’t get a few extra toilet rolls when available then when they actually need them there’s the risk of the Karens having already got them.

AdamWW

Established Member
We stopped off in Sainsbury’s on Friday night, pasta shelves empty and some conspicuous empty space in the toilet roll shelves.

It was said at the time that the toilet rolls, and panic buying, is a psychological thing - people feel threatened, so have to devise a reaction to make them feel like they’ve regained some control of the situation by doing something. So Karen can pull up at home and announce to her kids “look how prepared we are, I’ve just bought ten packs of toilet roll, and the cupboards are stuffed full of pasta”. Unfortunately then others copy either out of simply copycat, or more rationally realising that if they don’t get a few extra toilet rolls when available then when they actually need them there’s the risk of the Karens having already got them.

I think an approach of "I might be told to stay at home for 2 weeks and be unable to get an internet delivery, so I'll buy in a few extra bags of pasta" is entirely logical.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Sainsbury's seemed eerily quiet today. No shortages (except for the afore mentioned small tins of tomatoes).

AdamWW

Established Member
Sainsbury's seemed eerily quiet today. No shortages (except for the afore mentioned small tins of tomatoes).

Seems to be ASDA - maybe they're just having trouble with one of their pasta suppliers....

I think an approach of "I might be told to stay at home for 2 weeks and be unable to get an internet delivery, so I'll buy in a few extra bags of pasta" is entirely logical.

It's not unreasonable at all - you don't want to be the person that runs out of food because you didn't stock up when others did. You DEFINITELY don't want to be the person that runs out of toilet paper in lockdown...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Most Sunday evenings I listen to ‘Good week, Bad week’ on 5 Live where they discuss what’s been happening in the news.
Last night the first 23 minutes was a discussion about the rule of 6 and the general situation with how the government are dealing with this, and I found the views expressed to be refreshingly reasoned and sensible.
Give it a listen if you’ve got the Sounds app. :)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I've just seen BBC News 24 comprehensively demolish the thrust of the announcement earlier that the virus deaths were below 100 for a week for the first time since March.

Phrases like "while this is good news on the face of it..." and a strong emphasis that "these numbers can only move in one direction" are hardly a balanced tone are they?

adc82140

Established Member
I've just seen BBC News 24 comprehensively demolish the thrust of the announcement earlier that the virus deaths were below 100 for a week for the first time since March.

Phrases like "while this is good news on the face of it..." and a strong emphasis that "these numbers can only move in one direction" are hardly a balanced tone are they?
Did they use the phrase "grim milestone"?

100 points to me in BBC Bingo if they did.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Did they use the phrase "grim milestone"?

100 points to me in BBC Bingo if they did.

I'm not sure as I was watching it patchily with the subtitles.

They have, however, not long ago been very quick to point out the ( slight! ) increase in ventilated patients simply because it went back ( slightly! ) over 100...

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
For those who doubt the approach taken by Sweden was a good one, this article in last night’s Evening Standard may be interesting reading
While in the UK the atmosphere is becoming distinctly more anxious, with cases on the rise, new restrictions coming in and Matt Hancock on the television talking about a “second wave”, Sweden is enjoying something of a moment of vindication.

The virus numbers have reached astonishingly low levels. The most common number of Covid-related deaths announced for each day of the past week in Sweden has been zero; the total number in intensive care with Covid in this country of 10 million people is currently 13.

AdamWW

Established Member
For those who doubt the approach taken by Sweden was a good one, this article in last night’s Evening Standard may be interesting reading

Here's what I find curious.

Looking at Worldometer figures and converting to per capita, if I have my sums right they've had about 50% more infections and deaths than us. Now infections depend on how you measure, but maybe deaths are a better proxy for overall infections. Of course it depends on how well you protect the vulnerable - though I don't think either us or Sweden did all that well.

So it doesn't look as if they've had that much greater spread of infection than us.

In any case they seem to have held things at around R=1, as have we for much of the time since lockdown.

Well, maybe the difference is in what happened at the start, i.e. when we locked down and they didn't.

This is all no doubt an oversimplification. But then articles like that may also be oversimplifying things.

Status
Not open for further replies.