• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Media Coverage of COVID -19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bantamzen

Established Member
I had a look at her Twitter feed and found this:

It’s reassuring that one of the scientists advising the government conducts her research via Twitter. Who needs to conduct scientific studies when you can just ask random people on the internet to supply the answers for you?
It is reassuring isn't it? And so to that end I've asked her, albeit slightly curtly, why she is not seeking evidence as to why people might be exempt from sources such as PHE & ONS given that the public are not required to explain their exemptions when challenged. I suspect I know the answer....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

westv

Established Member
On another forum I frequent some of the posters almost fall over themselves in posting scare headlines and feel the more Covid misery on the news the better. :rolleyes:

Yew

Established Member
It’s reassuring that one of the scientists advising the government conducts her research via Twitter. Who needs to conduct scientific studies when you can just ask random people on the internet to supply the answers for you?
Ah, the Trish Greenhalgh method!

brad465

Established Member
It is reassuring isn't it? And so to that end I've asked her, albeit slightly curtly, why she is not seeking evidence as to why people might be exempt from sources such as PHE & ONS given that the public are not required to explain their exemptions when challenged. I suspect I know the answer....
The tweet in question though is loaded with replies that essentially backfired on her.

Bantamzen

Established Member
The tweet in question though is loaded with replies that essentially backfired on her.
It certainly did backfire, and not just for the original poster. A respondent telling how she got covid from her asymptomatic 5 year old was easily tripped up when she was asked if she was sure, explaining her daughter did have some mild symptoms.

Yew

Established Member
It certainly did backfire, and not just for the original poster. A respondent telling how she got covid from her asymptomatic 5 year old was easily tripped up when she was asked if she was sure, explaining her daughter did have some mild symptoms.
I'm not a genius, but doesn't 'asymptomatic' mean 'without symptoms'

DB

I don't think that pensioners are pro lockdown. Most realise that they have limited years left and have no desire to spend them in lockdown. Younger people, say in their 30s, seem more pro lockdown to me, especially those who are dodging going to work.

It's women in their 30s who are the most vocal group, and have been all year. If you so much as suggest to some of them that if working at home is posing issues then they could go into the office occasionally, it's as if you've told them to go and lick a leper's sores.

Most older people I've come across seem far more realistic. I remember back in March outside a supermarket (long queue) a woman in her 70s had a rant about all these 'ridiculous' restrictions. At the time I didn't really agree, but in retrospect she was absolutely right.

kristiang85

Established Member
A colleague is a GP, and thus doing some vaccination shifts. On giving a dose to a fairly frail 84yr old, she apparently lit up and said "Great! I can go and party now!".

That made me chuckle. Sadly he had to give his spiel on waiting for the full course and time period, so her dreams of Ibiza were dashed for now.

Bikeman78

Established Member
The most recent ONS figures suggest 1 in 10 people are carrying antibodies.

Meanwhile I was listening to Radio 2 on my drive to work earlier and on the Jeremy Vine show they were talking about the vaccine. Susan Mitchie, "a Sage Scientist", was proffering the standard dose of doom and gloom. Her suggestion was that even after vaccination we should continue with the current measures for quite some time and we shouldn't get excited about lifting restrictions soon. She suggested we need 90% of the population to be immune one way or the other before we relax restrictions, even then some precautions will still be needed.

Her justification was that

a) there is no evidence the vaccine reduces transmission
b) there is no evidence the vaccine prevents long covid
c) some people won't or can't have the vaccine and vaccinated people might carry the virus and give it to the unvaccinated people who might then get very ill and might die.
Clearly she has a short memory. Lots of people were out and about last summer. The world didn't end.

Cdd89

Established Member
Susan Mitchie, "a Sage Scientist"
I wish they’d introduce her as “a SAGE scientist who doesn’t believe in the consensus of her SAGE colleagues, and therefore also belongs to a separate group called Independent SAGE intended to criticise both SAGE and the Government in pursuit of a controversial Zero Covid policy”...

Bikeman78

Established Member
Who actually is this woman? I saw her name yesterday in connection with something that said people who go running or cycling should do so in masks. If that happens then she can jog on!
Last week I stopped off at the fish and chip shop on the way home from late shift. It's up quite a steep hill so I was slightly out of breath when I got there. I put on my mask and found it really hard to breathe. No way I'd wear a mask whilst cycling let along running.

Yew

Established Member
Who actually is this woman? I saw her name yesterday in connection with something that said people who go running or cycling should do so in masks. If that happens then she can jog on!
I believe she's a Prof of Primary Care at the University of Oxford. However apparently we listen to her about epidemiology, but not the professor of Theoretical Epidemiology at the same university, Prof Gupta

DB

I believe she's a Prof of Primary Care at the University of Oxford. However apparently we listen to her about epidemiology, but not the professor of Theoretical Epidemiology at the same university, Prof Gupta

It all depends on whether what they are saying fits the government/SAGE approved narrative...

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Quite frankly, I couldn't believe what I was seeing, to repeat the same scenes for the second night in a row was a determined attempt to create a climate of hopelessness and despondency.

It was so bad, I could quite easily imagine some of the more feint hearted feeling suicidal after watching it.

It was a shameful news bulletin and the BBC ought to be held to account for it.

Tonight, BBC main news at 18.00, after dealing with the Presidential matters Stateside, heavily concentrated on the number of reported coronavirus deaths as a separate main item from their daily summary of the figures a few minutes later and barely mentioned that the number of new infections detected has been dropping like a stone for well over a week now. Even after briefly mentioning it, they went back to the death figures with "...and as you have just heard, the number of..............."

brad465

Established Member
Biden's inauguration is dominating all the major front pages, given at least a short break from Covid headlines, despite the new record high death toll announcement.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The BBC is currently creaming itself over the react study that suggests that the current lockdown hasn't resulted in a fall in cases. Expect calls for us to be confined to our bathrooms for the rest of the year shortly.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The BBC is currently creaming itself over the react study that suggests that the current lockdown hasn't resulted in a fall in cases. Expect calls for us to be confined to our bathrooms for the rest of the year shortly.

Apparently the report states that the infection rate was still rising at the start of the lockdown - bearing in mind we are only 2.5 weeks into it really is too early to say whether it has been effective or not. I am getting tired of the BBC and their continuing scaremongering.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Apparently the report states that the infection rate was still rising at the start of the lockdown - bearing in mind we are only 2.5 weeks into it really is too early to say whether it has been effective or not. I am getting tired of the BBC and their continuing scaremongering.

Yes, I tuned into Radio 2 not long after.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Oy vey. Will the BBC News editorial team never stop. "England's virus levels may have risen in January" screams the headline, but for the few that do not instantly reach for the social media virtue signalling that get further down the article they find them saying "Daily cases have begun to fall". Good grief!

Tramfan

On the radio this morning (not BBC) was a story about the worrying increase in cases, going on to explain that cases had risen 50% from December to the 2nd week in January. No mention of the recent daily drop in cases since then!

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Anyone notice the media (particularly the BBC) is really making an effort to emphasise that young people with no underlying conditions can die from COVID?

I was watching a video from them. 2 patients were featured, one “in their 20’s, struggling for every breath” and one “a 26 year old male with no underlying conditions”, are they emphasising this to try and increase compliance with lockdown? They are part of the reason people will not feel comfortable going back to normal once the vulnerable and elderly have been vaccinated, blowing things way out of proportion.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Anyone notice the media (particularly the BBC) is really making an effort to emphasise that young people with no underlying conditions can die from COVID?

I was watching a video from them. 2 patients were featured, one “in their 20’s, struggling for every breath” and one “a 26 year old male with no underlying conditions”, are they emphasising this to try and increase compliance with lockdown? They are part of the reason people will not feel comfortable going back to normal once the vulnerable and elderly have been vaccinated, blowing things way out of proportion.
Well how else are they going to convince the 99.7% of us that won't die from the virus if infected that we have a very, very small chance of dying? Its not really surprising though, the BBC have been fixated on scaring the general public about anything remotely health related for years. Covid has just given the BBC News editorial team a few more years worth of work.

DB

That probably means no known underlying conditions - it's entirely probable that in many instances these sorts of edge cases do actually have an underlying health condition which was previously undiagnosed.

Scotrail12

Maybe they should give out the real figure - as of Dec 28th, it was 388 deaths in total across the whole pandemic for under 60s with no underlying health conditions. Presuming most of these people were in their 40s and 50s, I'm guessing it was around 20-30 people in their 20s and perhaps 40 in their 30s (all guesses).

The BBC are a disgusting, vile, scaremongering, so called "impartial" organisation that I never give the time to day to. I'd ignore every word that comes out of their mouths.

Tezza1978

On the radio this morning (not BBC) was a story about the worrying increase in cases, going on to explain that cases had risen 50% from December to the 2nd week in January. No mention of the recent daily drop in cases since then!
The media are behaving disgracefully over the stats - the BBC yesterday said there had been a "sharp rise" in COVID cases between Tuesday and Wednesday(!) - completely Ignoring the fact that week on week Wednesday figures were 18% lower and only the 7 day average should be used to compare. This React study - with data from 6th January onwards, one day after lockdown (!) is now being used to pump up the fear that cases are still going up in contrast to the testing data that had a high of 68,000 that has dropped to around 36k-38K

Unsurprisingly its Imperial College funded again, with study authors warning of "severe consequences" even though it doesnt include date from the recent lockdown. Next up will be Devi Sridhar and Susan Michie on later today demanding even tougher restrictions and full lockdown until COVID-19 is eliminated globally.........

I heard the report ,this morning, about the react study with pricked up ears as I have received an invitation to participate in this test. The letter to me emphasises that the test is "not 100 per cent accurate at an individual level", but this wasn't mentioned on the radio this morning.

brad465

Established Member
The REACT study being reported is an interim report that apparently will get revised next week after further study. Also the data is based on the 6-15 January. The ZOE study peaked on the 11th, but so far since then is plummeting, as are swab test results. At school when doing research I was taught to judge trustworthiness by relying on multiple sources of information, and when the ONS infection survey comes out tomorrow we'll have better information on top of all the other studies. There's reasons to be hopeful with the ONS because it and the ZOE app tend to be quite similar in trends, although a week behind. My prediction is the survey will show levelling off but at regional level will show declines in London and the South East, as these areas were peaking in a previous survey in the first week of January (last week's survey was cancelled).

EDIT: On this particular occasion so far those making comments on the BBC article are not falling for this and questioning the overall approach (including the highest rated one I've copied across):

1611231688707.png

Last edited:

greyman42

Established Member
Why are interviewers so reluctant to ask the government hard questions regarding the pandemic? I seems to me that Piers Morgan on GMB is the only one who is willing to go there?

Status
Not open for further replies.