• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Media Coverage of COVID -19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
We could probably deal with the 2 murders a day by mandating stab vests for everyone over the age of 12...

Road deaths - just carry on with the project to block every road with a Covid-19 shrub box.....

We should probably ban nuts as well....
Perhaps we should make it illegal to go above the ground floor of a building? Safer in case anyone takes a tumble over the edge and quicker exit in the instance of a fire!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class 33

Established Member
An interesting article here from the Express.

Get on with your lives! Professor says as coronavirus 'not as deadly as first thought'

CORONAVIRUS is not as deadly as was thought and the public fear that is stopping the country returning to normal is unfounded, a leading expert says. Carl Heneghan, Professor of Evidence-based medicine at Oxford University, called for the government to intervene and "proactively reassure the population".

He said exaggerated fears of Covid have led to "people going about their daily lives misunderstanding and overestimating their risk”.

And he said introducing local lockdowns could do more harm than good by forcing people into their homes, potentially infecting other vulnerable people that live with them.

Professor Heneghan - whose work led to a lowering of the official death toll after he revealed Covid deaths were being counted even if someone had subsequently died of other causes - spoke as he released new data revealing the infection fatality rate had fallen from 2-3 per cent in the height of the pandemic to 0.3.

He said if the downward trend continues the pandemic may end up no worse than a bad flu season.

Reasons for the fall, he said, could not only be down to the consequences of lockdown because cases are continuing to drop despite society opening up.

Rather it was linked to better understanding of how to treat Covid patients, more testing - diluting the number of severe and fatal cases - the fact that more younger people are catching the virus and that the virus is circulating at a much lower level.

He added that the lower death rate comes alongside a drop in Covid-related hospital admissions. Recent figures show there low numbers of Covid-19 patients being admitted despite infections having increased throughout July.

More than 1,000 Britons are now testing positive for covid-19 each day and the true background figure is estimated at four times this amount.

However there are currently fewer than 50 daily hospital admissions for the virus.

Professor Heneghan said: "We reset how we calculate the death rates. We now need to reset how we communicate the risks of the virus.

“I am concerned people have become overly frightened and throughout this pandemic, the fear instilled in people has been a real problem.

“Many people misunderstand and overestimate their risk of Covid. This uncertainty is leaving them highly anxious and affecting schools, offices and how we go about our daily lives. The government needs to intervene to explain to people their true risks."

He also called for an end to local lockdowns without better evidence of their need.

He said: "We now have more data which shows the disease is not as deadly as we first thought, and despite coming out of lockdown and the small increase in the detection of infections in certain areas we have not seen a corresponding increase in hospital admissions or critical care beds, or deaths.

"We have lost focus on the critical issue of the impact of the disease, and I don't understand why this is the case. It is becoming increasingly clear that lockdowns are harmful - during the lockdown; for instance, we saw an increase in non-covid deaths.

“And when we lockdown people are forced into their homes, potentially increasing the risk of infection to other vulnerable members where they are more at risk than in well ventilated public places.

“We now need to rail back from opinion and start using an evidence-based approach.

“The lockdown policies at the moment in Preston, Oldham and Leicester have happened because more cases are detected as we have tested more in these areas.

However, an increase in infections doesn't mean the disease is getting out of control as many of these cases will be asymptomatic or not serious.”

He said emerging evidence shows opening up parts of society has not necessarily led to a rise in infections as many have assumed: “For example, there are 47,600 pubs in the UK - let's say approximately 1,000 a week through the door. That's nearly 30 million people in six weeks. None wearing masks and all close to each other. Yet, these venues have not seen an upsurge in cases as a direct result of the opening.

"When outbreaks do occur in pubs they should currently be seen as outliers. They give us an opportunity to study them - assess why the outbreak occurred so other venues can learn and reduce their risks.
“Where they have broken the social distancing rules, this should be made clear. But we should not be punishing over 47,000 businesses just because of a handful of outbreaks.
“Nor should we be talking about trading off schools against opening pubs unless we have a better evidence to understand the policies that make a difference."
He believes coronavirus should now be seen in the context of other respiratory pathogens, all of which can cause complications.
And he called for the government to focus on shielding vulnerable groups and properly explain that the risks are minimal to those outside this group.
He said: "As a million children go back to school, and people start to go back to offices, we need to explain how the risks compare to other risks people may face in life.

“For Covid it's incredibly low. People need to understand this. Risk drives our behaviours, and if we don't understand them, then it gives rise to an overcautious - just in case - approach.

“Only if the impact of the disease worsens should we consider putting in local measures shown to slow down the spread of the disease.”

He said we need to learn to live alongside Covid-19 as we can no longer eliminate it. “We need to reorientate our thinking on how to live alongside it.

“Right now, we are seeing below average excess deaths for all causes for the eighth week in a row. The messaging stay at home save lives throughout the pandemic led people to be more fearful than they have ever been, one can say it worked too well, but the current data shows it is currently safer to go out than it has ever been."

He also said emerging evidence recently assessed by he and his colleague Professor Thomas Jefferson, also from the Oxford University Centre for Evidence Based Medicine showed covid testing is so sensitive it could pick up traces of previous infection long after recovery which could artificially inflate the numbers of positive cases.

Professor Jefferson said: “We need to de-terrorise the population. We have to explain to people the true nature of the threat - what we do and what we don’t know about it.”

I agree. Coronavirus is nowhere near deadly as first thought. And the government and media need to stop all this exagerated scaremongering, and allow us to get on with our lives properly!

greyman42

Established Member
And today they're going on about a second wave AND a full national lockdown again. It's as though they actually want both of these to happen!
If you watch the newspaper reviews on Sky News and BBC News it is obvious that the majority of journalists do as it keeps them in a job.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
An interesting article here from the Express.

I agree. Coronavirus is nowhere near deadly as first thought. And the government and media need to stop all this exagerated scaremongering, and allow us to get on with our lives properly!
This is a very interesting article, and should be circulated more widely.
I was spoken to about social distancing by my line manager’s boss this week. He’d observed myself and a colleague sitting ‘too close’ in our workplace canteen.
I pointed out that the virus appears to not be nearly as transmissible as the media would have him believe, citing
the lack of spikes in deaths and cases after beach gatherings, BLM protests, illegal raves etc, many of which were 4 months ago.
Also, the well-documented examples of one person getting the infection, and their spouse not, despite living together.
The fact that the colleague and I have both, at different times, had to self-isolate and are thus unlikely to infect one another was not even mentioned.
Good to see this article!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This is a very interesting article, and should be circulated more widely.
I was spoken to about social distancing by my line manager’s boss this week. He’d observed myself and a colleague sitting ‘too close’ in our workplace canteen.
I pointed out that the virus appears to not be nearly as transmissible as the media would have him believe, citing
the lack of spikes in deaths and cases after beach gatherings, BLM protests, illegal raves etc, many of which were 4 months ago.
Also, the well-documented examples of one person getting the infection, and their spouse not, despite living together.
The fact that the colleague and I have both, at different times, had to self-isolate and are thus unlikely to infect one another was not even mentioned.
Good to see this article!
Out of curiosity how did your boss react to the conversation?

kez19

Established Member
If you watch the newspaper reviews on Sky News and BBC News it is obvious that the majority of journalists do as it keeps them in a job.

It doesn’t even help either if you use a “news” app on phone or computer either... just as bad

I think it was The Telegraph today I read something like that...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...most-english-neighbourhoods-havent-had-covid/ (paywall)....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/08/23/uk-coronavirus-cases-deaths-today-latest-covid/ - it may have been this one I read than link above, but it just seems to a degree repeating what was said back in March with plus updates.... recycled news I guess...

Last edited:

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Out of curiosity how did your boss react to the conversation?
Strangely enough, the next day, in a follow-up conversation (away from others), he hinted that he was under pressure from the union, after ‘one or two’ returnees from shielding had recently complained ‘about rules not being followed’. He also said he’d been asked by the local council to show evidence of mitigating measures adopted - which included ‘you may sit here’ circular stickers at opposite ends of canteen tables*. His demeanour in that conversation was that of someone who thought the measures were OTT, but that he had to be seen to have challenged rule-breakers.

*wide oblong tables with plenty of legroom, which we now have to sit at on opposite ends, where the table legs are at their narrowest. Some ignore the stickers and sit more comfortably at opposite ends of the longer sides

Freightmaster

Established Member
...today they're going on about a second wave AND a full national lockdown again. It's as though they actually want both of these to happen!
I think this cartoon depicts the 'media scaremongering' situation quite succinctly:

main-qimg-7cb527f762550671326c350133cf5204

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Yew

Established Member
The unfortunate truth is that the Genie is out of the bottle, and the it's never going back in unless we can get a comprehensive worldwide vaccination programme

Bantamzen

Established Member

Hold on, I'm confused. Is this the first second wave they are talking about, or the second second wave? Because I'm pretty sure the first second wave was supposed to happen back in June when the entire country went to Bournemouth for Covid-Fest, & the second second wave was supposed to happen in July when the pubs re-opened? So maybe they are talking about the third second wave due when the kids go back to school, or perhaps the fourth second wave has been brought forward from Christmas....?

Richard Scott

Established Member

adc82140

Established Member
By that point we'll have been hit by an asteroid. Everyone should panic about that. [/sarcasm]

kez19

Established Member

Maybe we should play media bingo/lottery as its seems as they never stop going on about it.... Next week 2026...

Another yawn headline, here we go again. How many more second wave fears. I'm getting bored and fed up with the media. No wonder we cannot get on with out lives. As for it being here until 2024, it'll still be around in 3024, perhaps they'd like to print that? Will New Zealand still be trying to eliminate then, though?

Thats it i'm looking for the four horsemen....

Crossover

Established Member
This was shared by a contact of mine earlier today - having watched it, I think Denise Welch makes some very good points. Worth the 9 minute "watch"

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
This was shared by a contact of mine earlier today - having watched it, I think Denise Welch makes some very good points. Worth the 9 minute "watch"
I've been following her on twitter, I firmly agree with most, if not all, of her views on this situation.

talldave

Established Member
Can we start a petition to appoint her as Prime Minister? OK a tongue in cheek question, but she's hitting so many nails on the head.

Bantamzen

Established Member

Just watched this, and this lady feels exactly how I do. The more I look at the data, and as more ridiculous & fractured responses around the globe are played out, the more concerned I become. Fixated with individual measures, and more importantly how they will be reported upon through the media & social networks, governments flail about trying to create political solutions in the hope that one of them sticks. Lockdowns are certainly one as talked about on that video, interestingly she mentions the rural areas around Bradford (I live in one, at least semi-rural area) where there haven't been any cases for months but the additional measures nonetheless remain. And there are other political methods like masks which are dressed up as scientific / medical, but without and real evidence that they work in public scenarios and so they can only be described as political.

What is almost as disconcerting as this politicisation of the virus by governments and media, and what this lady alludes to, is how difficult it can be (away from these forums) to even challenge the "you'll kill granny" position that seems to be engrained deeply into the mindset of a significant proportion of the public. On many occasions I've taken to debating some of the issues, and challenge some of the perceptions, I've been greeted by a tirade of anger from people grimly determined to defending restrictions even when the data doesn't support them. There are still people on my social network who still believe that we should be in full lockdown, and that we (as in everyone else) should simply grin and bear it until the virus is fully eliminated. It is truly depressing, and makes me worry that we are facing months, maybe years of on-off-on-of restrictions at the whim of governments either too afraid to be the first to make the move back to normality, or coming to realise that they have a new opportunity to start controlling the masses under the guise of a "greater good".

At the heart of the problem here is the media. A good functional media by now should be challenging these restrictions, asking searching questions of politicians, medical experts & scientists. But by & large they are not. As has been demonstrated time & again, the search for those all too valuable clicks or membership subscriptions is far more of a priority than actually working the news. So like the often used copy & paste methods many newspapers employ to quickly fill up websites, covid reporting is simply an echo chamber for whoever is most following their stories. I'm fairly convinced that social media plays a big part in this, if lots of people there are still responding with fear, and the data analysis backs that up, then the media will continue to fuel that fear. One or two sources are starting to push back, but these tend to be on the fringes of what is described as main stream media, and thus won't really be having an impact. Right now the only way I can see to break this cycle is to continue to challenge the views of those who believe what they read, and try to bring them at least to a position where they stop just regurgitating what they are fed, and actually start to go beyond the headlines and look at what is actually happening.

Phew! That went on a bit, sorry! But I hope I've made my point, we need to start thinking for ourselves again, not acting as some mindless collective.

talldave

Established Member
No bother. I have to say I agree with every word.
Ditto. Where are the challenging questions? Why does nobody ask what the criteria are for the introduction (and withdrawal) of mask wearing requirements? Why does nobody ask to see the "increasing evidence"?

The media appears to be a mouthpiece for government propaganda; that's really quite worrying.

Yew

Established Member
Ditto. Where are the challenging questions? Why does nobody ask what the criteria are for the introduction (and withdrawal) of mask wearing requirements? Why does nobody ask to see the "increasing evidence"?

The media appears to be a mouthpiece for government propaganda; that's really quite worrying.
Indeed, I'm generally pro-bbc, but a lot of their "Coronavirus News" seems to be pushing old articles and pro-mask propaganda, rather than following scientific breakthroughs and offering critique of government policy.

wireforever

Sky News on the 6pm news Monday instead of UK news they had a live speech from Trump on the election campaign tonight Sky covered working from home with the usual wooden top talking heads via videolink and the BBC covered the BLM rally in Washington the phrase 'this is the new normal' is beginning to get a little tiresome what will happen towards Xmas will the internet explode with online shopping or will there be more panic buying in shops and the media go into another frenzy

Justin Smith

"Professor Neil Ferguson OBE" has just been interviewed on R4's Today.
It was a very frustrating experience.
They gave him a very easy time and never asked him any awkward questions, or pointed out the fact many of his previous predictions had been wide of the mark.
So, the BBC give him fawning respect, but not listener it would seem.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Grand master level hypocrisy in the Daily Mail yesterday.

Littlejohn telling people they needed to return to work and not work from home, and ending the article by admitting he has been working from home for 30 years!

Class 33

Established Member
The Express AGAIN reporting UK Faces Second Total Lockdown.

Coronavirus map LIVE: UK faces second total lockdown - Hancock warns of nightmare scenario

MATT HANCOCK has warned the UK faces another total nationwide lockdown this winter, as Britain braces for a second deadly wave of coronavirus.

The Health Secretary said coronavirus remains “a very serious threat” and fears a second spike of the disease could erupt this winter. He refused to rule out a second nationwide lockdown, and said restrictions could be in place over the Christmas period.

Mr Hancock warned the worst-case scenario would see the UK battling a bad flu outbreak as well as a surge in coronavirus cases.

He said: “Cases go up again, and we have to use very extensive local lockdowns or take further national action.

“We don't rule that out, but we don't want to see it.”

But the Heath Secretary said the UK was managing to keep the number of new cases “flat” thought the test and trace system and local lockdowns.

Mr Hancock also commended the work of medics who were already preparing for the winter months.

He said: “We're doing a huge amount of planning to make sure that the NHS is prepared and can cope to make sure that people can have as much freedom to enjoy Christmas, to enjoy winter, as possible.”

The Health Secretary did not give hope to Britons wishing to have large family celebrations this Christmas, as he suggested the current limits on the number of households able to meet indoors would not be eased.

He said: “The danger of a rule like that is that it increases the spread of the disease.

“I mean, there are an awful lot of things I'd love to be able to do, but the risk of them is that we see an uptick in the disease.

“Hence, we've had to take decisions that you wouldn't ever want to.”

Some of you here are saying there's no way they'd implement a second national lockdown. It would be absolutely ridiculous beyond belief if they do, and the damage this will do to the economy and people's mental health would be even more catastrophic than the first(and hopefully ONLY) national lockdown. But I really wouldn't put it past this government to do such a thing. They are concentrating so much on the number of new cases, rather than the now VERY LOW daily deaths! Unbelievable!

I've just realised from looking at the Gov Coronavirus website, that on the 19th August there was just ONE Coronavirus death in the whole of the UK. Did the government or media report on this positively? NO, it didn't even get a mention!

Status
Not open for further replies.