• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Media Coverage of COVID -19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin Smith

The Express AGAIN reporting UK Faces Second Total Lockdown.

Some of you here are saying there's no way they'd implement a second national lockdown. It would be absolutely ridiculous beyond belief if they do, and the damage this will do to the economy and people's mental health would be even more catastrophic than the first(and hopefully ONLY) national lockdown. But I really wouldn't put it past this government to do such a thing. They are concentrating so much on the number of new cases, rather than the now VERY LOW daily deaths! Unbelievable!

I've just realised from looking at the Gov Coronavirus website, that on the 19th August there was just ONE Coronavirus death in the whole of the UK. Did the government or media report on this positively? NO, it didn't even get a mention!

As far as Covid is concerned we are in a post rational world......

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wireforever

All the 'experts' and ministers like appearing on the BBC as they get a easy ride no hard questions and are allowed to waffle as they see fit.The daily briefing from Downing Street was a gringefest depending who the panel were it was all doom and gloom at times .People want to hear good news I would think the vast majority are fed up of changing advice, last minute decisions and nobody appears to be in charge of it all

scotrail158713

Established Member
Madness. But I wouldn’t expect anything less of the Express though. It must be double figures the amount of times I’ve seen that headline now - and how many times has it been true. Zero!
I've just realised from looking at the Gov Coronavirus website, that on the 19th August there was just ONE Coronavirus death in the whole of the UK. Did the government or media report on this positively? NO, it didn't even get a mention!
Of course that doesn’t get a mention. Because it doesn’t fit the negative agenda of Covid fear they love to spread. They’re focusing on positive case numbers just now but give it a couple of weeks and they’ll move onto something else.

PTR 444

Established Member
Don’t know if anyone has already observed this, but the banner in the top right of the Daily Mail homepage is still showing that we are in lockdown. Day 159 of it to be precise. I’d be absurd to think that we are still in lockdown with pubs and gyms open now, but knowing the Daily Fail they probably have their own absurd definition of a lockdown. They probably won’t take it down until there’s a vaccine, and god knows if we’ll even get one on day 365, 600 or 1500.

greyman42

Established Member
All the 'experts' and ministers like appearing on the BBC as they get a easy ride no hard questions and are allowed to waffle as they see fit.
I saw Gavin Williamson interviewed by Dan Walker, who is hardly a heavyweight political interviewer, on BBC breakfast earlier in the week and Walker took him to the cleaners.

adc82140

Established Member

Some of you here are saying there's no way they'd implement a second national lockdown. It would be absolutely ridiculous beyond belief if they do, and the damage this will do to the economy and people's mental health would be even more catastrophic than the first(and hopefully ONLY) national lockdown. But I really wouldn't put it past this government to do such a thing. They are concentrating so much on the number of new cases, rather than the now VERY LOW daily deaths! Unbelievable!

The same Daily Express that is today reporting that people will be turning up on the doorsteps of all over 75 year olds to take their TV away. The Express has as much relationship with the truth as the Beano.

In fact, Matt Hancock refused to rule out further "national measures" if necessary. What politician, anywhere, will categorically deny that anything is going to happen. Backside covering, nothing more, nothing less.

SamYeager

Don’t know if anyone has already observed this, but the banner in the top right of the Daily Mail homepage is still showing that we are in lockdown. Day 159 of it to be precise. I’d be absurd to think that we are still in lockdown with pubs and gyms open now, but knowing the Daily Fail they probably have their own absurd definition of a lockdown.
Well I believe that not all businesses that were operating before lockdown are able to open yet so they could probaly justify the banner on those grounds. I'm sure I read that mobile beauticians are not allowed to operate yet. I'm not sure if mobile hairdressers are allowed to work yet. There are oproably some other businesses still unable to work that I've overlooked.

Justin Smith

All the 'experts' and ministers like appearing on the BBC as they get a easy ride no hard questions and are allowed to waffle as they see fit.The daily briefing from Downing Street was a gringefest depending who the panel were it was all doom and gloom at times .People want to hear good news I would think the vast majority are fed up of changing advice, last minute decisions and nobody appears to be in charge of it all

And there is lots of good news about Covid out there, the govt just don't want us to hear it because they want everyone to be permanently "alert" (i.e. scared). They can Eff Off*....

* Eff Off is officially not swearing, David Cameron used it in the 2014 Scottish independence referendum campaign !

Silverlinky

There really should be a Panaroma type programme put out to give people the facts as they are at present!
Whilst the media go mad about reporting an daily increase in cases they don't mention that they are still only around a fifth of the peak figures from April.
They don't mention that death figures are in the 10's, sometimes in single figures compared to the many hundreds and on some days over 1000 per day back in the peak.
They don't mention that the cases are being found due to increased testing and over 90% of people are displaying no, or very mild symptoms
They don't mention that as of today there are only 100 or so patients admitted to hospital per day compared with over 3000 a day in the peak
They don't mention that as of today there are only 70 patients on ventilators in the UK compared to over 3000 in the peak
They don't mention that there are only 764 people in hospital being treated for the effects of Covid compared to nearly 20000 in the peak.

kez19

Established Member
regarding the Express was it not a week or so back they reported that another scientist told us to well..... get on with our lives?, strange (not really) how like the Express is all doom and gloom then be positive to then revert back again, I forgot... clickbait.... Media in general is becoming or has become... clickbait.

Sturgeon would be having a field day regarding this... its not as if us in Scotland can't get enough of her already... I think in general all politicians of all parties actually wind their neck in and get real than be utterly stupid but I guess money talks if even theories swirling regarding this whole thing would it be surprising it came out partly true? (not going down this route but I guess you don't need to in a way just look at how they all acting over it though)

Yew

Established Member
Given everything that's going on with the media recently, there is a surprisingly critical article on the BBC.

Boris Johnson's string of U-turns are unsustainable and have created a "climate of uncertainty", a senior Conservative politician has warned.

Charles Walker, deputy chair of the 1922 Committee, said it was becoming "increasingly difficult" for Tory MPs to defend government policy.

The government has made several U-turns, most recently on face masks in schools and the grading of exams.

It comes as a new poll indicates that Labour has drawn level with the Tories.

In an interview with the Observer, Mr Walker said: "Too often it looks like this government licks its finger and sticks it in the air to see which way the wind is blowing. This is not a sustainable way to approach the business of governing and government.

"It is becoming increasingly difficult for backbenchers now to promote and defend government policy as so often that policy is changed or abandoned without notice. Whether this approach is by design or by accident, the climate of uncertainty it creates is unsustainable and erodes morale."

[...]

adc82140

Established Member
If anyone's playing media bingo, the title of the BBC live feed today is "grim milestone". Shall we have a whipround to buy them a thesaurus?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If anyone's playing media bingo, the title of the BBC live feed today is "grim milestone". Shall we have a whipround to buy them a thesaurus?
They also changed a headline this morning claiming Universities were going to cause a "second wave"; I should have taken a screenshot. It was amended soon after.

There are some balanced articles on the BBC, but they tend to be well hidden.

Yew

Established Member

Indeed, their Coronavirus "News" page seems to be more focused on repeating old public information articles, than news, which is by definition new.

Bantamzen

Established Member
The BBC are reaching a new low this morning, reporting that lecturers (or more accurately their unions) are fearful of an "avalanche" of new cases when students return to university. And I've lost it with, sending feedback to them that they are risking the mental wellbeing of our children & young adults. I'm utterly sick and tired of it now, they and the rest of the media need to be held accountable for this fearmongering.

I know there are people from the media who are members or regularly read these forums, so I'm speaking to you and all your colleges in your industry. Report facts, not fear. Stop messing with the mental wellbeing of everyone just to get those extra clicks. Stop it right now!

KevinTurvey

DB

Interesting to see the BBC chose not to report at all on yesterdays events in London.

It doesn't help that those criticising it, as quoted on there, are basically assuming that everyone on the protest agrees with the most extreme views about the virus not existing, and with Icke.

It ignores the fact that many, probably most, will be like many of us on here - people who have taken the time to read up on the matter and have come to the view that the restrictions and the harm they cause are way out of proportion to the actual risk from the virus!

brad465

Established Member
They also changed a headline this morning claiming Universities were going to cause a "second wave"; I should have taken a screenshot. It was amended soon after.

The current headline top of their page says "University return 'could spark Covid avalanche'", which while not the same terminology maybe useful if you were planning to take a screenshot for complaints' purposes?

Richard Scott

Established Member
The current headline top of their page says "University return 'could spark Covid avalanche'", which while not the same terminology maybe useful if you were planning to take a screenshot for complaints' purposes?

And to be honest so what if it does? Be young and healthy people getting it, chances of mixing with older more vulnerable is limited whilst they're away. We need to get on with life. Yet again younger generation being hit by those who've already had their chances to complete their schooling and enjoy what university has to offer. Stop hitting the youngsters, it's so unfair.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

I suspect "Not having universities return 'could spark mental health avalanche'" would never be an article they'd consider publishing, but it's a more likely outcome...

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
It doesn't help that those criticising it, as quoted on there, are basically assuming that everyone on the protest agrees with the most extreme views about the virus not existing, and with Icke.

It ignores the fact that many, probably most, will be like many of us on here - people who have taken the time to read up on the matter and have come to the view that the restrictions and the harm they cause are way out of proportion to the actual risk from the virus!
Indeed.
This lady expresses a similar view, in calm, reasoned fashion, at yesterday’s demo.

They’re just doing more and more and more damage to our liberties, our economy, our futures, our kids’ futures; and I just think, unless we take a stand, it’s just going to get worse and worse

Last edited:

DB

Indeed.
This lady expresses a similar view, in calm, reasoned fashion, at yesterday’s demo.

The comments on there from the twitter keyboard warriors are contemptible - petty insults, scaremongering, and claims that no liberties have been removed (thereby demonstrating thst they haven't read the legislation and its associated guidance).

Class 33

Established Member
If Matt Hancock does implement a second national lockdown(as he says he refuses to rule out, despite Boris saying last month that a second national lockdown IS ruled out!) - especially if the deaths remain VERY VERY LOW like they are now, then it will be absolutely madness and reckless, and I expect he will be the most hated man in Britain. It's now over 5 months since the full lockdown, even though the lockdown has eased quite a bit since then, we are still FAR from being back to normal due to these ongoing COVID restrictions still dragging on with no end in sight. Just imagine if say next month or October, we then reset back to the full national lockdown back on 23rd March and all this drags on for at least several months AGAIN. The country will be in a horrible state, and I fear there will be civil unrest. Most of us won't be be able to take a full national lockdown AGAIN!

Last edited:

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
If Matt Hancock does implement a second national lockdown(as he says he refuses to rule out, despite Boris saying last month that a second national lockdown IS ruled out!) - especially if the deaths remain VERY VERY LOW like they are now, then it will be absolutely madness and reckless, and I expect he will be the most hated man in Britain. It's now over 5 months since the full lockdown, even though the lockdown has eased quite a bit since then, we are still FAR from being back to normal due to these ongoing COVID restrictions still dragging on with no end in sight. Just imagine if say next month or October, we then reset back to the full national lockdown back on 23rd March and all this drags on for at least several months AGAIN. The country will be in a horrible state, and I fear there will be civil unrest. Most of us won't be be able to take a full national lockdown AGAIN!
Indeed, but I am learning to not believe all of these 'ruling out' speeches. You may remember a few months ago Emmanuel Macron definitively ruled out another national lockdown in France and assured the public that it would never happen. Seems he has now backtracked on that:

Shortly before Friday's figures were released, Mr Macron said a second national lockdown could not be ruled out if infections spiralled out of control.

However he said his government was trying to avoid the return of restrictions that would set back the country's fragile economic recovery.

"Containment is the crudest of measures to fight against a virus," said Mr Macron, urging people to be "collectively very rigorous".

(https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53954562)

I truly do not think we will be facing another national lockdown, but this just demonstrates how you cannot trust anything a politician ever says completely.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Matt Hancock is not an epidemiologist, scientist or even a healthcare professional. He doesn't know that pharmacists and nurses administer vaccines (as became evident in a BBC interview earlier this week). He's a politician, Secretary of State for health, and is just covering his a*se in case something does go wrong.

Moreover, anything that comes out of his mouth deserves to be fact checked as he's known for waffling a load of codswallop at the best of times.

DB

Media reported that cases "SURGED" today...

but just one further death reported. In the whole of the UK. Good news, and we've come a long way. But this just makes brief sidelines against the massive headline that "cases jump by 1,715" (see e.g.: https://metro.co.uk/2020/08/30/uk-r...s-death-cases-jump-1715-13199173/?ito=cbshare)

I've not looked at the stats yet, but are these (as is normally the case now) largely asymptomatic cases which have only been identified by increased testing?

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Interesting article in The Telegraph, entitled
Europe is at last waking up to it’s lockdown folly
It’s behind a paywall, but I think this quote gives a flavour of the piece
Did you hear it? Beyond the second wave sirens and the schools debate, the sound of the penny dropping on the global stage. In recent days, world leaders have hinted at an extraordinary admission: lockdowns are a disaster, and we can’t afford to repeat the mistake.

Still, when that spiritless reverend of the global order Angela Merkel delivered this confession a few days ago, she was so officiously ambiguous that the world paid no attention. “Politically, we want to avoid closing borders again at any cost, but that assumes that we act in coordination,” she droned at a summit in the Mediterranean. And with that, an earthquake: saving lives “at any cost” has been excised from the lexicon of liberal internationalism. Instead the aim is to save the economy. This means “acting in coordination” to kill off second lockdowns.

Emmanuel Macron was the first leader to drop this little bombshell. Last week he said that France can’t cope with the “collateral damage” of a second lockdown, explaining that “zero risk never exists in any society”. Italy joined in three days later, with the health minister hinting that the country will not return to national hibernation. Meanwhile, after lauding China’s draconian lockdown, the World Health Organisation (WHO) is imploring countries to avoid battening down the hatches again.

About time. Lockdowns are officially indefensible. Sweden has won the international experiment, as its firms outperform even the German Großunternehmen while Covid deaths plummet in line with the rest of Europe.

DB

Interesting article in The Telegraph, entitled
Europe is at last waking up to it’s lockdown folly

It’s behind a paywall, but I think this quote gives a flavour of the piece

Good!

Now if they'd get on the case of masks as well that would be even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.