Medical For Conductors position with Northern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asian Demon

What does the medical involve for the conductors position? I have been on hold for a position at Victoria after passing everything and have now been contacted to say they can get me started in august subject to medical in July. Totally bricking it though as I am slightly deaf in my right ear.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DI

They will do a hearing test, it depends on how bad your hearing impairment is weather you'll pass or not.

Asian Demon

They will do a hearing test, it depends on how bad your hearing impairment is weather you'll pass or not.
I understand the test will be similar to a non safety critical role (I've passed these with no issues). However will there be any other additional tests on account of it being a safety critical role? The hearing impediment is very slight. Nothing major really.

DI

I've had a fair few medicals during my driving career, all safety critical though so I have nothing to compare them to. All I can tell you is that with all mine I sat in a sound proof booth with headphones on and had to press a button when I heard a very quiet noise. They would vary in pitch, loudness, ear and tone.

I hope that helps you.

There is a lot of scare mongering goes on regarding these medicals.

Facts I can tell you is that I passed.
I'm overweight, short sighted (can just about see the two top letters on a snellen chart without glasses) and my hearing is terrible. I also have a pre existing medical condition which requires medication.

If your not dying/likely to pass out on the job/going to cause the company problems the chances are you'll pass!!

It briefly comprises of drug + alcohol screen. (Urine test completed under strict conditions)
Eyesight test (inc colour blindness charts)
Hearing test. (Sit in a soundproof booth with earphones on and click when u hear a beep.)
General medical questionnaire.

I believe drivers also have an ECG.

Relax don't do a load of crack before hand and u should be ok!!

Asian Demon

There is a lot of scare mongering goes on regarding these medicals.

Facts I can tell you is that I passed.
I'm overweight, short sighted (can just about see the two top letters on a snellen chart without glasses) and my hearing is terrible. I also have a pre existing medical condition which requires medication.

If your not dying/likely to pass out on the job/going to cause the company problems the chances are you'll pass!!

It briefly comprises of drug + alcohol screen. (Urine test completed under strict conditions)
Eyesight test (inc colour blindness charts)
Hearing test. (Sit in a soundproof booth with earphones on and click when u hear a beep.)
General medical questionnaire.

I believe drivers also have an ECG.

Relax don't do a load of crack before hand and u should be ok!!
Haha thanks for the info. More of a relief. Have only ever worked revenue on the railways before so this is the first safety critical role I will have ever done. Saying that I am really looking forward to it. I keep hearing how hard it is getting into a job at Manchester Victoria.

Status
Not open for further replies.