• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Medical question - Trainee Train Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

H20_100

My first post so hopefully you will be kind!

I just wanted to gauge the opinion on this before I start applying for positions and spend time going through the lengthy recruitment process - if I am lucky to get through the first stage that is.

I have been reading many posts on medicals that are carried out but cannot seem to find a specific answer I seek - basically what is the situation with having to declare previous surgeries during the medical or if any questions are asked regarding previous surgeries?

I had a shoulder op about 3 years ago where I was experiencing trapped nerve issue and weakness from an old rugby injury. The operation was successful and fully curative but I am wondering if Occupation health will flag this up as a potential problem in the future? I also had a neck operation which was again successful but as I put myself in an employers shoes and wonder if they think that this is a potential problem in the future.

Are there are any train drivers or trainees who have just gone through the medical process that can shed some light. Or am I overthinking this and it will not be a problem? Do they just perform a physical assessment and use that to decide whether to sign you off.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dieseldriver

I wouldn’t worry too much about the medical. By the time you get to that point the TOC want to give you a job, they’re not looking for reasons to fail you for the sake of it.
The only issue is your current medical condition/fitness and if those operations have cured your problems, you shouldn’t have anything to worry about.

LCC106

Established Member
Make sure you declare everything at your medical. They will likely ask if you’re still experiencing problems and it MAY flag up that you need a risk assessment but the main thing is to declare it! If you have problems further down the line and they find out you’ve kept it covered up it could lose you your job.

Efini92

Established Member
If the operation was a success then you have nothing to declare. You can always mention it to the railway doctor for peace of mind but it won’t be a factor in deciding if you’re medically fit or not.

Red Devil

As others have said just declare it when you're asked the question. If you've no problems now you'll be fine.
Don't think of not disclosing it thinking you'll not get offered a job if you do.
If they find out you did keep it from them then you definitely won't be offered a job or could even be dismissed at a later date

EvoUK

I think I recall being either asked verbally or on one of the meds forms if I had any medical issues or had any medical treatments... my honest opinion would be to declare before hand. As you stated, it's not a current issue.. they would likely just get you to go through several posture exercises during the med assessment to make sure no issues (they did this with me despite not having any declarations so prob standard part of assessment).

LokiB

This thread has got me panicking a bit tbh.
I'm currently in the Conductor talent pool for Northern but have an on going lower back issue where I do get a little pain so I have an epidural in a facet joint once a year but my back doesn't effect my work, I don't have time off with it and I'm perfectly fit and mobile (I do regularly 10mile walks, lift weights and run etc).
Would I likely fail a medical because of this?

Bluenosemase

This thread has got me panicking a bit tbh.
I'm currently in the Conductor talent pool for Northern but have an on going lower back issue where I do get a little pain so I have an epidural in a facet joint once a year but my back doesn't effect my work, I don't have time off with it and I'm perfectly fit and mobile (I do regularly 10mile walks, lift weights and run etc).
Would I likely fail a medical because of this?
No chance you’ll fail your medical mate, don’t worry.

Bluenosemase

Fingers crossed you're right mate. If I get ever get offered a date I'll be gutted if I fail at the final hurdle.
I honestly wouldn’t worry at all pal. Conductor medicals aren’t quite as thorough as drivers and I think you’d pass the driver medical with no problems so you should sail through. I hope you get a date soon.

LokiB

I honestly wouldn’t worry at all pal. Conductor medicals aren’t quite as thorough as drivers and I think you’d pass the driver medical with no problems so you should sail through. I hope you get a date soon.
Cheers mate. That has put my mind at rest abit, however, I won't feel too confident until I get a pass if I eventually get sent to a medical.

TeaTrain

@H20_100 Hi there I understand your concern. Perhaps I can give my own experience for you as I have been through something similar. I have had many operations.

Both my shoulders are loose and not in socket properly, my knees can fold inwards. I have had dual operations on my lower abdomen, wrist and ankle. Amongst others. I went for my medical as a guard and had no problems and recently a medical for my trainee driver role. Both were ok!
They will ask if everything is alright and that you can demonstrate free and full movement. Which is understandable!

Rhia

Hey can someone help me please. I have a medical coming up soon and I’m worrying if declaring my wrist injury will stop me from being employed. I have slight discomfort which causes me to wear a split from time to time which I will have surgery on later. But I don’t know if it will hinder me in the future. Can I have some advice pls

DriverEight

Hey can someone help me please. I have a medical coming up soon and I’m worrying if declaring my wrist injury will stop me from being employed. I have slight discomfort which causes me to wear a split from time to time which I will have surgery on later. But I don’t know if it will hinder me in the future. Can I have some advice pls
I don't know if it will have any bearing on whether or not you get the job, but they may be annoyed if you have to take time off for surgery and recovery for a condition that you knew about and failed to mention. If you're off for an extended period in the middle of a training course, they'll probably have to suspend your training

LCC106

Established Member
Rhia, just make sure you declare it at the medical. That way they can ask you about it and there won't be any questions at a later date. Shouldn't be an issue on the face of it.

Muse29

I've got a medical soon for train driver. I have psoriatic arthritis although it is well controlled by medication. The right knee is visibly swollen however, I don't really get any discomfort and can run and cycle long distances.

I cant let it get in the way of going for my dream job. I will obviously be honest about everything and just have to hope that they can see I am mobile and don't have any stiffness. Fingers crossed.

TeaTrain

Probably the most common would be finding out your hearing is not as good as you thought. I do know some who have found out this way.

JammyJames08

Probably the most common would be finding out your hearing is not as good as you thought. I do know some who have found out this way.
Get ears cleared out about a month before, sometimes wax can have an affect.

Last edited:
Interesting. So what happens in this instance? Is it a case of getting it sorted and attending a second medical or are you ruled out full stop?

JammyJames08

That’s true I have heard about that as well! (No pun intended
Interesting. So what happens in this instance? Is it a case of getting it sorted and attending a second medical or are you ruled out full stop?
They look in the ears before they undertake the hearing test. They probably would encourage use of ear drops or syringing/microsuction if it’s a really bad build up. They’ll test them anyway, if hearing isn’t great because of excessive wax they’ll have you back after clearing out the ear canals.

Cranky

They look in the ears before they undertake the hearing test. They probably would encourage use of ear drops or syringing/microsuction if it’s a really bad build up. They’ll test them anyway, if hearing isn’t great because of excessive wax they’ll have you back after clearing out the ear canals.
I had a medical last week and nobody looked in my ears prior to entering the booth, no questions after regarding hearing at all

TeaTrain

Nor me. They did not check my ear canals. If you do not pass they will send you for further examination. I know for guard roles you would normally need some kind of hearing aid but for a driver I’m not so sure. Today in my second major day of training they specifically spoke about sight and hearing.

JammyJames08

When I’ve had Medicals they’ve always looked in ears, to check wax and general health of the ear (drum etc) I guess some medical companies do things differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.