• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Medical!

Status
Not open for further replies.

train_spotter

Yep, exactly same scale, large letter, right down to bottom row for 20/20 vision. You do each eye without, then each with glasses if you wear them. A near sighted reading test(I don't use glasses for reading so only one for that), then a med range test measured out to 75cm, and try to read as small as you can. The nurse was very patient so you can read at your own pace if trying to read the absolute smallest you can.
Finally a colour vision test (if your vision is fine, theres a couple in there you wont be able to read, Unless.. you are colour blind, so don't panic mid way through that you cant read two of them.

I had a re-precept for my specs, bought a 2nd pair as it will be the requirement to carry a 2nd set at all times working. I got them to do my colour test too which was all good so it put my mind at ease.

Cheers! Another question, you don't have to be suited and booted for your medical do you?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bucko

where do these medicals take place? Is it the same place for everyone, or somewhere near to your home / depot ?

Tenthghost

i've got a date now for my Medical after passing my DMI last Friday how long roughly does it take as i debating weather to take the day off or just go in later too work?

Chamber

i've got a date now for my Medical after passing my DMI last Friday how long roughly does it take as i debating weather to take the day off or just go in later too work?

I was there for a couple of hours, get there 30min early to fill the forms the receptionist gives you (speeds things up), then youll be ready for the checks. Lastly you have to wait for the Doc to go through the results (does a few bits themselves, ie test your balance, movement), then youll get signed off.

traintraining

Anyone who wears glasses full time ? done the BUPA medical?

I was wandering whether the sight test you have to read the letters from the Board without your glasses?

As I wear glasses full time so wandering if they will ask me to take my glasses off and have a crack at the letters on the wall?

search

Chamber

Anyone who wears glasses full time ? done the BUPA medical?

I was wandering whether the sight test you have to read the letters from the Board without your glasses?

As I wear glasses full time so wandering if they will ask me to take my glasses off and have a crack at the letters on the wall?

search

Yes mate, you need to have a certain min eye level with and without glasses. They also do a near sighted test, and a mid range test at 75cm. The near and mid I didn't need glasses, but I was tested on the chart with and without.
A check with your local opticians will help, that's what I did prehand.

broadgage

Yes, the sight test requires good sight, wearing spectacles if need be, and also a much lower level of vision WITHOUT corrective lenses.

I understand that the reasoning is a requirement to be able to drive safely to the next station, at a reduced speed if need be, in case of loss or breakage of spectacles in transit.
In view of the requirement to always carry a spare pair it is very unlikely that one would need to drive with un-corrected eyesight, but it should be possible in an emergency, at least at reduced speed and only for a short distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.