• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Medical

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kc75

Does the nurse normally let you know there and then if you've failed any of the tests for hearing,eyesight and blood pressure ?
Thought I'd had a bit of a mare on the hearing aspect even though I'm sure my hearings fine after that came my blood pressure which was sky high on two readings so she left it ten minutes and took it again mentioning that I needed a number under 100 my last reading was 134 over 94.
Got home and checked it myself and every reading comes under 120 over 80 :-x

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D1939

I thought under 120/ 80 was considered healthy. Why did you need under 100??

oxoneil

Seems clear to me that he means the 2nd number. If it was the first one he'd probably be passing out in the room ??????????????????

Kc75

Seems clear to me that he means the 2nd number. If it was the first one he'd probably be passing out in the room ������

Yes your right second number was the one I meant.

Mikesig

If it's NR, as I understand, the only thing they can't tell you on the day is the outcome of the drugs test. They would have told you on the day if any of the other elements were not up to the required standard.

JohnFM

Blood pressure is measured in two parts, the systolic which is the highest number and represents the pressure that the heart is pumping the blood and the diastolic is the pressure when the heart is at rest in between beats.

You misheard the nurse for sure and don't really need to worry about it, although another hearing test might not go amiss ;).

The written ideal is around 120 / 80 but is just an arbitrary figure for some kind of loose guidance.

I've measured 86/60 before now and the person was very well, so don't worry about that.

High blood pressure is a bit whereby people self diagnose. I would advise to stay away from google and stop guessing. A single set of blood pressure readings is completely meaningless especially when you consider the hassle of driving to the medical centre, parking, walking in, being nervous, getting anxious, seeing a hot nurse, white coat syndrome, etc, etc.

Anything around 120 - 140 / 80 - 90 (ish) would be perfectly fine. Anything close would be adjusted to factor in the above causes for a rise in BP so above 90 can be perfectly normal when considerations are taken into account.

Your own BP would change a heck of a lot over that period of time and does so all day, every day. It is the constant underlying BP that people need to address but would need a 24 hour BP check to diagnose anything of concern.

Kc75

Blood pressure is measured in two parts, the systolic which is the highest number and represents the pressure that the heart is pumping the blood and the diastolic is the pressure when the heart is at rest in between beats.

You misheard the nurse for sure and don't really need to worry about it, although another hearing test might not go amiss ;).

The written ideal is around 120 / 80 but is just an arbitrary figure for some kind of loose guidance.

I've measured 86/60 before now and the person was very well, so don't worry about that.

High blood pressure is a bit whereby people self diagnose. I would advise to stay away from google and stop guessing. A single set of blood pressure readings is completely meaningless especially when you consider the hassle of driving to the medical centre, parking, walking in, being nervous, getting anxious, seeing a hot nurse, white coat syndrome, etc, etc.

Anything around 120 - 140 / 80 - 90 (ish) would be perfectly fine. Anything close would be adjusted to factor in the above causes for a rise in BP so above 90 can be perfectly normal when considerations are taken into account.

Your own BP would change a heck of a lot over that period of time and does so all day, every day. It is the constant underlying BP that people need to address but would need a 24 hour BP check to diagnose anything of concern.

Thanks for the info and the reassurance John.

Think it was just down to rushing around and nerves plus the hot nurse :| and yeah hearing deffo needs checking again hopefully by the same nurse :D
Ive checked it a dozen times since I got home and its always hovering around 120 over 80.

Status
Not open for further replies.