• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Medicals & antidepressants (train maintainer/depot roles)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodsy93

Hi,

I'm trying to gather some information on whether being on antidepressants would mean failing a medical exam for a depot based role specifically train maintainer as I'm on a waitlist for that at the moment, any insight would be helpful. I'm not currently on them and never have been.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

No dont think so. The question I got asked for my safety critical role was are you currently taking any medication which would make you tired and drowsy. You can always change your medication if your current one does not suit the role. I am unsure about anti-depressants but 9 times out of 10 there is an alternative! I hope this helps.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
This thread also has a bit of discussion about anti-depressants: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/question-for-upcoming-medical.218563/#post-5183593

As always the advice is to be up-front with the Occupational Health (OH) team, as they will be the best (and realistically only) people qualified to answer that question as it will be based on an entirely case-by-case basis dependent on aspects like dose, frequency, other medical conditions etc.

PupCuff

It would be very unusual for your standard dose antidepressants to make any difference to a medical result provided the medication you were on didn't cause any side effects eg sleepiness, blackouts etc.

However, if you're not on them currently but you think you should be on them, I'd strongly advise against holding out on the grounds of trying to pass a medical - do see your GP, the effects of untreated depression on your performance can actually be much worse than the minimal side effects you'd experience controlling depression with medicine. One of the things the medical is likely to look at would be how long you've been on the medication and how well tolerated they are, so the longer you've been on them with no adverse effects the more confidence the clinician will have in marking you fit for duty.

Stigy

Established Member
As long as you’re upfront at the medical and declare any medication you’re on, you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.