• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mega-Train coming to the South West

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
Julian G said:
What about Plymouth/Paignton and Penzance?!
Those places are not shown on the Megatrain offer map so there is no point mentioning them...

What about Strawberry Hill and Putney?! :rolleyes:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ooh-ooh, what about the Hedge End route?! *Sarcasm intended!*

I'm going to book myself on the Bristol Megatrain as soon as, I'm DYING to go back to London for a HUGE spotting spree! Look out London, WSXFan is coming!

Thank you Stagecoach for launching this brilliant idea on a train service near me! Now it's just working out how to get to Bristol without getting on a FGW service. ATF to Newport and bus onwards I'm hoping.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Too bloody right it is. Makes my life harder, but at the same time I suppose it makes it a challenge. That gives me a new idea for a new MSN display name actually.

I'd never have guessed back in February or any time that I'd be dying to escape First. Thank the Heavens we have ATF and CT here. Still, 2006 was due to see a massive change in my habits, so here we go.

andel

matt said:
Hopefully megatrain will extend to the WCML as well.

mega train is a stagecoach thing... swt is owned by stagecoach as is megabus

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As has been said above Stagecoach have a 49% share in Virgin Trains

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Indeed, so they have got possibility to do it on maybe just one route. Maybe do it on Brighton to Reading via Guildford on Voyagers only? I dunno, always an idea.

Coxster

Established Member
WSXFan said:
Indeed, so they have got possibility to do it on maybe just one route. Maybe do it on Brighton to Reading via Guildford on Voyagers only? I dunno, always an idea.
Or Kensington?

Julian G

Established Member
WSXFan said:
I was thinking via Guildford due to it connecting into SWT's network more, hence the Stagecoach routes.
and I hate Virgin going via Guildford!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I don't, non-stop Reading to Gulildford and then non-stop to Gatwick Airport. Quality that. Need to do it as soon as I can!

Sprinter

WSXFan said:
Ooh-ooh, what about the Hedge End route?! *Sarcasm intended!*

I'm going to book myself on the Bristol Megatrain as soon as, I'm DYING to go back to London for a HUGE spotting spree! Look out London, WSXFan is coming!

Thank you Stagecoach for launching this brilliant idea on a train service near me! Now it's just working out how to get to Bristol without getting on a FGW service. ATF to Newport and bus onwards I'm hoping.
You can indeed cross the Severn by bus, it is route X14 (Newport- Bristol via Chepstow) which has hourly departures throughout the day run jointly by Stagecoach and First Bristol.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ahh, good. That's what I thought was the case. Transport Direct confirmed the X14 runs at xx:04 by the appearence of things, First Badgerline/X14 was the details of that it gave me. 1h 40m it says it takes too. Now I just need to get walking directions from the bus station to BTM.

andel

It won't extend to Virgin... Virgin offer their own set of fares etc, but has its own seperate branding too...

Stagecoach, although a 49% holder, will want to keep it seperate from Virgin who are another influencial brand... too many brands spoil the broth?

Finally, Virgin's services are extreamly well used... no chance of quiet services unlike certain SWT services that need a "boost".... if you get my drift.

Finally, I believe they are considering renumbering the 3 car 158's to match the 159s... but you shouldn't quote me on that (yet)....

T

Tom

159s aren't all that different from 158s so I wouldn't be surprised, but I guess they'd do it after the full refurbishment programme they normally do on new stock.

Julian G

Established Member
WSXFan said:
I don't, non-stop Reading to Gulildford and then non-stop to Gatwick Airport. Quality that. Need to do it as soon as I can!
Don't think so, It stops at Redhill

Coxster

Established Member
tubechallenger said:
Some call at Redhill, some don't.
They all do from Gatwick as they have to turn around there to get on the North Downs to Reading via Guildford (and Farnborough North ;)). Only the ones via Kensington have the oppertunity not to stop.

Muppet

cool gonna have to take a look into this!

this could be a forum meet or something?

jdjonnay

I'm sorry, being very, very dense here.. but what's the megatrain?

I've kind of fallen behind with regards to the railway scene...

I need to go to london in the next month or so, (I live in Cornwall), can I really do Exeter - London for £2.50?? If so, that's unbelievable!

Status
Not open for further replies.