• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Megabus - double decker vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Hi all,

Just a question of curiosity really (I am not a bus spotter or enthusiast!), as I'm planning a cheapo journey on Sunday 15th October from London to Bristol.

Does Megabus operate double decker vehicles on this route? Is there any way of me telling what sort of vehicle will operate the journey?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
It will most likely be a double decker however front row seats will already have been taken at Cardiff.

I'm going the other way. :) But thanks for confirming the likelihood - it's a pound difference between NX and Megabus and the likelihood of a double decker swings it for me. I don't take scheduled coaches very often - in fact the last time I took a long distance coach was when I was 21 - about ten years ago.

Last edited:

matt_splat

I'm going the other way. :) But thanks for confirming the likelihood - it's a pound difference between NX and Megabus and the likelihood of a double decker swings it for me. I don't take scheduled coaches very often - in fact the last time I took a long distance coach was when I was 21 - about ten years ago.

National Express use deckers from Bristol - London and back ;)

Mwanesh

It depends most Bristol services are now operated by left hand elites until new coaches arrive.You do get the occasional Van hools from Cardiff.Most services from Cardiff are now direct to London

Martin2012

If you want a decker avoid the 1600 departure from London to Bristol. On Friday and Sunday thats worked by a company called Hamiltons of Uxbridge using single deck vehicles (normally neoplan tourliners).

Have managed to get front seats on the deckers a few times going to London but there's been a number of times when they've already been taken prior to Bristol. Did manage to get one for a journey between Bristol and Leeds once on a service that had started at Plymouth. Very lucky there

Temple Meads

Established Member
Realistically you are more than likely going to get one of the vehicles in the attached images:

Attachments

• DSC_5611.jpg
    DSC_5611.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC_2788.jpg
    DSC_2788.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 102

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Realistically you are more than likely going to get one of the vehicles in the attached images:

The "viewport" on the Plaxton Elite-i (or whatever you call it) looks so much smaller than that on the Van Hool. Neither would appear to give a commanding view of the road. Are there any forum members who have driven either of these vehicles and could comment?

Macllain

The "viewport" on the Plaxton Elite-i (or whatever you call it) looks so much smaller than that on the Van Hool. Neither would appear to give a commanding view of the road. Are there any forum members who have driven either of these vehicles and could comment?
Yes, both vehicles feel quite cramped but the Interdeck you feel especially squished in. You sit very low, effectively on the floor and quite far back and combined with the height of the dashboard the view is quite narrow, and is very bad for steaming up. You can't see the reversing lights in Edinburgh bus station unless you reverse about 10ft from the bollards which totally defeats the purpose of the system. I would not like to have an accident in one. You also can't see out the near side wing mirror unless you totally stretch forward if you have a wheelchair onboard.

The Astromega on the other hand, feels solid. You feel like you command the road, even though your sittting just a tad higher. Easy to bump your head on the roof after hitting a pothole if your a tall guy, it really is that tight. They both feel like completely different vehicles to drive, but you definelty have a bigger range of vision in the Van Hool. I don't think I've met anyone who prefers the Interdeck (apart from luggage loading reasons) over the Astromega.

Status
Not open for further replies.