• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Megabus going to Europe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonic2009

Established Member
Have noticed today while looking at MegaBus Uk.

That destinations such as Brussles,Amsterdam,Paris have appeared albeit with no booking slots just yet.

Anybody have any more information?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Interestingly that's the first time I've heard megabus talk about "connections" from other services.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Be interesting to see when they run. As per megabus usual they can't possibly let us know what timetable they'll be running...

radamfi

Established Member
Megabus have employed connections a lot in its history. For example connections at Winchester and service stations south of Sheffield. Megabusplus involves connections at East Midlands Parkway. They still have connections at Perth to enable onward travel to Aberdeen, Inverness, Glasgow and Edinburgh. They also do connections at Glasgow to western Scotland services using Citylink such as Oban.

The press release shows booking to start tomorrow.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Megabus have employed connections a lot in its history. For example connections at Winchester and service stations south of Sheffield. Megabusplus involves connections at East Midlands Parkway. They still have connections at Perth to enable onward travel to Aberdeen, Inverness, Glasgow and Edinburgh. They also do connections at Glasgow to western Scotland services using Citylink such as Oban.

Ah yes, wasn't thinking of East Midlands Parkway although I did it myself recently - didn't know about the Scottish ones.

I wonder if the connections at London will be from any service or just the few mentioned (Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield, unspecified Scottish/Welsh places).

One of the ways NX (like NR) excels over megabus is the ability to plan journeys with connections without having to cancel everything else if one doesn't work.

The press release shows booking to start tomorrow.

Indeed, but most companies let you have an idea of what the service will be like (when it runs, how long it takes) before the day bookings start whereas megabus doesn't make it easy to find things like that our even afterwards.

If there is no journey at a given time you don't know if there isn't one timetabled to run or if it's full.

Clip

Established Member
Slightly OT but there was something on the radio the other day about Euro lines doing Victoria coach station to Paris for £9 each way.

proper value but im not sure i could bear it for that long on a coach

Blindtraveler

Established Member

radamfi

Established Member
It is not really 11 hours on a coach because much of that will be spent on the ferry, in ferry terminals or in immigration. There is probably a lot of padding in the timetable too.

mbonwick

Established Member
youl maybe know better mbonwick but thought that last load of megabus Panthers were opperating up Scotland way as of late September, seeing off the B10 coaches on M8, M92 etc workings? Or was there another batch after?

Il certainly consider using them on a journey to Europe.

53636-45 (Volvo B9R) are all based at Rugby, though as Megabus operates on a 3 or 4 day cycle, they will be at other depots for most days of the week.

The other new Megabus vehicles on the 2011/2 order were 11 Van Hool Astromegas for Cwmbran depot in Wales.

So far the cascades set up have been as follows; 7 B12BT/Panther and 1 B13R/Elite from Cwmbran to Rugby (impact of which as yet unknown).
The 10 B9Rs to Rugby have replaced 5 B10Ms which have been dispatched north to replace older examples on Scottish Citylink. The PVR at Rugby has increased by 3, hence no direct replacement.

I think it's likely that the 8 vehicles from Wales will replace the 5 remaining B10Ms at Rugby, which would give 8 spares over the current PVR of 26. Assuming each European service has a PVR of 2, that would leave 2 spares overall.

pemma

Veteran Member
It's over 11 hours to Amsterdam but under 10.5 hours back. There's two journeys per day a morning departure arriving in the evening and an evening departure arriving the following morning.

kar3emosman

We have gone a bit crazy and booked London-Paris-Amsterdam-London for £12.50 (4 people). Simply amazing. I can't imagine it's going to be the best of journeys, but for that price....amazing.

Lrd

Established Member
This sounds amazing, certainly a lot cheaper than rail over here! Will have to get passport sorted and go 'exploring' for a few weekends.

sonic2009

Established Member
I may book this for a Weekend away in the Summer? Anyone is interested we could interwork in a City Transport Bash? i.e Amsterdam?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
The promised connections don't actually seem to be bookable as through trips - and the FAQs on the website only mention connections in connection with Scottish and Irish services.

pemma

Veteran Member
I imagine most of the £1 seats will have sold out by now, especially considering Martin Lewis included it in his weekly email which he claims goes to 7 million people.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I imagine most of the £1 seats will have sold out by now, especially considering Martin Lewis included it in his weekly email which he claims goes to 7 million people.

Typically journeys seem to be at about the £10-12 mark each way - still pretty reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.