• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Megabus Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestCoast

Established Member
Megabus has been at the forefront of innovation in the coach industry, I agree that NX have very much been playing catch-up. Of course, NX still have the advantage of a denser network which covers more of the country.

I used to be a regular traveller on megabus and NX, before I shifted most of my travel to rail. Recently, I have tried both operators again and have been rather impressed by the value for money. It's never quite as comfortable or as quick (in most cases) as the train, but you're always guaranteed a seat and modern coaches like the megabus Astromegas and NX Levantes are very nice. Megabus has come a long way since the days of the ex-HK Olympians.

I could see Megabus Gold working well on a select number of daytime routes as well as those already planned, key business corridors such as Manchester - Birmingham - London could well be ripe for this sort of service at peak hours. The offering of an onboard steward, wide seats, tables to work at e.t.c, do have an appeal and there is a market for 'commuter coaches' as evidenced by the routes in/out of London run mostly by independents.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

maqist

I have used the sleeper service 4 times last year, but as a customer I don't see how this 'gold' service is an improvement over the current service.

The bendy service provided a private pod in which to sleep, charge my phone on the included power point, and when feeling insomnic a small window to watch the night pass by. The new service from the photos I have seen seems to have done away with the private pods, going instead with an open plan layout - effectively the current offering if comparable to a room in a guesthouse, then the new service is comparable to a bunk in a shared youth hostel dorm with 40 other guests.

In addition to the service losing some of its advantages it seems that Megabus are promoting this service as starting from £15, instead of the circa £1 I'm used to paying.

I also think that the use of megabusgold brand while allowing the buses to more easily be used on citylink gold routes in Scotland damages megabus.com's image as a premium brand.

notadriver

Established Member
My only problem with megabus/NX is that they aren't exactly turn up and go, you have to stay belted in your seat at all times and that a bad driver that's in a rush/bad mood/hard on the brakes could ruin that experience.

Volvodart

Established Member
I also think that the use of megabusgold brand while allowing the buses to more easily be used on citylink gold routes in Scotland damages megabus.com's image as a premium brand.

It is the Gold brand that is the premium brand. Certainly between Aberdeen and Glasgow the Gold services are not cheap at £20 per journey.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
I could see Megabus Gold working well on a select number of daytime routes as well as those already planned, key business corridors such as Manchester - Birmingham - London could well be ripe for this sort of service at peak hours. The offering of an onboard steward, wide seats, tables to work at e.t.c, do have an appeal and there is a market for 'commuter coaches' as evidenced by the routes in/out of London run mostly by independents.

and they could sit in that well loved car park known as the M1

overthewater

Established Member
The problem with the bendis is during the day its sits idol, not making money. The new deckers can make money all day long over a 3 day cycle.

E-Rail

I must confess to being really disappointed with these vehicles. In their quest to have 24/7 motors, Stagecoach appear happy to downgrade both the Megabus Sleeper and more importantly Citylink Gold services.

In the new open plan sleeper mode, passengers will have no privacy and no fixed seat to use if they prefer to stay up a bit longer (quite likely on the 12 hour plus journeys to the Highlands). Some passengers will have to spend the journey hanging in a hammock above two strangers lying underneath who may also be strangers side by side. The hammocks appear to have no plug socket access or shelf space for phones etc.

The new gold brand says it will offer free refreshments served by a 'concierge' (the 2nd driver according to route one this week) with free eye masks and dental packs but as I understand this is already provided on the current sleeper.

In daytime mode, these vehicles look seriously inferior to the Plaxton Elites currently operating Citylink Gold. Gone are the reclining seats to be replaced with what looks like really uncomfortable seats that wouldn't look out of place in a welfare minibus. The 2+1 layout is an improvement but the bay table arrangement for every seat will put people off on journeys the length of those operated by Citylink Gold. Most coach passengers travel solo or in pairs and facing strangers for 3 hours or more in a booth with no view but that from the window will be unappealing to most. The metal bars required for the bed frames at night that double up as daytime arm rests also look dreadful on a premium coach service.

Also, Stagecoach need to decide if megabus is a low cost, budget brand or a premium product because with this launch, the whole concept is starting to lose it's way.

Souter says that 40 beds each night is break even with the remaining two beds providing the profit margin. Seems an expensive foray at £560k each.

Time will tell.

Yew

Established Member
Good point, I hadnt realised the new beds didn't have privacy curtains. Thats a step down in my opinion.

overthewater

Established Member
This makes me wonder why there just don't stick with the bendis but get of of the spare seats and put in more bunks. Since the coaches don't have any seats it seems on sleeper runs.

mbonwick

Established Member
VOSA requirement is that each passenger has a seat. Obviously in the bendis this is achieved with 24 seats at the front and 24 beds, but the Astromegas do this by having 55 seats converting into 42 beds.

telstarbox

Established Member
Megabus Gold is launching on two routes soon:

Enjoy megabus travel, but crave more comfort from your coach trips? Then try our new service megabusGold.com - If you're travelling from Aberdeen or Edinburgh to London try our new overnight luxury service that could be perfect for you. Launching on the 8th July from Aberdeen and the 12th of July from Ediburgh you can travel to London in comfort and style from £15 plus 50p booking fee.

With megabusGold.com we’ll keep up the sterling service you know and love, getting you to your destination on-schedule and at an affordable price. – But with megabusGold we’ll add in some golden touches too.

Indulge in complementary snacks and refreshments, benefit from a dedicated on-board steward and use free Wifi. Travel on our megabusGold sleeper service, you’ll be able to enjoy a comfortable night’s rest as you travel, waking up refreshed for the day ahead.

http://uk.megabus.com/sleeper.aspx

Looking at the timetables, the Aberdeen service calls at Dundee, Perth and Cumbernauld; and the Edinburgh service is non-stop.

Last edited:

radamfi

Established Member
Megabus often use street bus stops instead of bus stations to avoid departure charges.

Liam

Established Member
I thought they had stopped doing that so much.

radamfi

Established Member
Megabus do use some bus stations where they didn't before. Examples of 'upgrades' are from Bullied Way to Victoria Coach Station, from Chorlton Street (outside the National Express coach station) to Shudehill (TfGM) bus station in Manchester and from a street location to Glasgow Buchanan bus station.

overthewater

Established Member
Megabus do use some bus stations where they didn't before. Examples of 'upgrades' are from Bullied Way to Victoria Coach Station, from Chorlton Street (outside the National Express coach station) to Shudehill (TfGM) bus station in Manchester and from a street location to Glasgow Buchanan bus station.

I would rather get on at Bullied way compared to Victoria

radamfi

Established Member
I would rather get on at Bullied way compared to Victoria

Why is that? I thought it was generally perceived to be a bit of a hole, especially the stop that Megabus used. Bizarrely, the stop was taken over by Greyhound who claimed to be a 'quality' outfit, yet used that bus stop in London.

welshpax

Just looking at the Megabus site and seems as thought there is an overnight Megabus Gold service starting between Cardiff and Glasgow, just made a dummy booking and it seems active from 19th July, does not indicate that you have to change buses and seems a straight through service. Fare seem to be around £35 each way.

Megabus Gold.jpg

Last edited:

telstarbox

Established Member
The routes are quite extensive and do include a "cross country" route:

Daytime services (additional to Megabus services):
Plymouth-London
Cwmbran-Cardiff-Bristol-London

Sleeper services:
Cardiff-Birmingham (Hill Street)-Glasgow
Inverness-Aviemore-Glasgow-London
Aberdeen-Dundee-Perth-Cumbernauld-London
Falkirk-Dunfermline-Ferrytoll-Edinburgh-London

http://www.megabusgold.com/Our-Routes/megabusGold-Network/

Volvodart

Established Member
They are introducing a Citylink Gold service between Edinburgh and Aberdeen on 19 July 2013, but the four services replace normal priced citylink/megabus services at those times.

pemma

Veteran Member

The bus part of Shudehill Interchange opened 3 years after Megabus started running and until it opened the various bus services that used to depart from the bombed Arndale Bus Station departed from various bus stops.

overthewater

Established Member
They are introducing a Citylink Gold service between Edinburgh and Aberdeen on 19 July 2013, but the four services replace normal priced citylink/megabus services at those times.

To be Fair, for most of the day its a 30min service between Edinburgh - Dundee - Aberdeen.( one per hour you need to change) Of late these journeys are just getting slower and slower and slower. I remember you could Dundee - edinburgh in under 90mins. now its like 1h 45m. With this new Gold service its not getting any faster, Only reason why its getting used is to get the coaches out during the day to make more money.

radamfi

Established Member
Just checked the prices now and it doesn't seem to cost any more to go Gold on that route, unlike Glasgow to Aberdeen which is £20 flat fare on Gold. They even do £1 trips between Edinburgh and Aberdeen on Gold.

telstarbox

Established Member
I-love-gold-goldmember.jpg

Volvodart

Established Member
Just checked the prices now and it doesn't seem to cost any more to go Gold on that route, unlike Glasgow to Aberdeen which is £20 flat fare on Gold. They even do £1 trips between Edinburgh and Aberdeen on Gold.

It could be the site has not been updated for the Gold prices. At the start of the Aberdeen to Glasgow route you could get £1 and £4 fares on the Gold service.

radamfi

Established Member
I suppose it isn't strictly fair to compare the Edinburgh to Aberdeen service to the Glasgow Gold services as Edinburgh to Aberdeen is 'Megabus Gold' and Glasgow to Aberdeen is 'Citylink Gold'.

The bus part of Shudehill Interchange opened 3 years after Megabus started running and until it opened the various bus services that used to depart from the bombed Arndale Bus Station departed from various bus stops.

But they could have stuck with Chorlton Street! I preferred the old stop as I could change from National Express services to Megabus easily. Obviously the Shudehill stop is a nicer place to wait, although I used to wait inside the NX coach station anyway!

Given the volume of Megabus services now going through Manchester and the regular use of an inspector, Shudehill is undoubtedly more practical.

I saw a Megabus Gold double decker outside VCS this morning, presumably just arrived from Scotland. Has anyone used it yet? I've booked a trip London to Edinburgh at the end of August. The booking warns you that the trip might be partly seated. I used the old bendy service where you had to sit in the seats for the first part of the trip and return to them towards the end. How does it work with the new coaches?

I presume the old bendies are no longer in service?

Last edited:

Volvodart

Established Member
Both Aberdeen to Glasgow and Aberdeen to Edinburgh services are being marketed as Citylink Gold and the coaches used for the Edinburgh services are branded Citylink Gold as they interwork with the Glasgow service.

radamfi

Established Member
Both Aberdeen to Glasgow and Aberdeen to Edinburgh services are being marketed as Citylink Gold and the coaches used for the Edinburgh services are branded Citylink Gold as they interwork with the Glasgow service.

Oh right, thanks for the clarification. Surprising therefore that it stops at so many intermediate stops. So are they using Elites like on the Glasgow route? And Megabus Gold deckers are only for the overnight services and for the daytime 'luxury' services in England and Wales?

Status
Not open for further replies.