• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Megabus/train tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprinter

I travel on the Megabus network a few times a year, when doing this I don't print off the whole email sent to me, I just note down the first six digits of the reservation number (e.g. 26-xxxx) on say my paper notepad and offer it to the bus driver. No problems (I know what time the bus is, know what the route number is and know what destination I am going, so all these are irrelevant to the driver, who only has a list of the numbers).

Is this the same if I say walked up to the barriers at STP and show them my six digit code just written down?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gray1404

Established Member
There was formally a note on the Megabus.com website that when it comes to reservations for trains made through the site, that you present your booking reference it either in printed or digital format (on paper or on your phone for example). On their FAQ page tonight though it says basically its not required but will help.

There is no requirement for you to pint off your booking confirmation. So you could just type the reservation number/code into a word file and print it off. Without reading the terms and conditions in full at Megabus.com in relation to carriage by train, I am not sure if this is merely a request though rather then a rule they could strictly enforce. You may wish to play it safe and have your confirmation number/code in printed format.

Personally, I would present it on a hand written piece of paper first and then if any problems produce it as requested (have that with me too) just to test the waters and report back here! :)

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I believe you have to "check in" at the customer service desk at the barriers at St P with a Megatrain/Megabus Plus reference number, they will tick it off the list and let you through. No idea if they give you a ticket or similar or not.

redbutton

I've used it before. You have to check in at the gateline, where they tick your name off the manifest and validate your printed ticket with a rubber stamp.

Then, on board the train, the guard checks your stamped paperwork en route.

So no, I don't think they would take the number by itself.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Is this the same if I say walked up to the barriers at STP and show them my six digit code just written down?

The T&C specifically say written down is not permitted for Megatrain. Though it does say a phone screen is OK, so I guess in that case they'd give you the stamp on a piece of paper.

MichaelAMW

They also give you a "gate pass", which simply gets you through the barriers at St Pancras. I believe such a pass is provided wherever you join the train, including at East Midlands Parkway where there are no barriers... but maybe that just helps if there is some kind of revenue block.

themeone

They also give you a "gate pass", which simply gets you through the barriers at St Pancras.

I don't think I got given anything like that the last few times I travelled to Leicester on Megatrain.

I remember the first time I ever used the service (probably about 4-5 yrs ago now) being given something, but I don't think it operated the gates!

CyrusWuff

Established Member
The online T&Cs http://uk.megabus.com/termstemp.aspx#megatrain?accept=perm state @ condition 10:

A valid booking reference acts as the ticket for your journey. This can be a printed confirmation e-mail, SMS or written format.

Those only apply to Megabus. The Megatrain Ts&Cs (at http://uk.megabus.com/megatrain-conditions.asp) state at Condition 5:

Passengers travelling with megatrain.com are advised that reference numbers should be presented to a member of staff, when requested, in either a printed format or displayed on a mobile phone or tablet when requested.

---snip---

ii. Reservation numbers presented in a written format will not be accepted.

iii. Passengers without an acceptable means of showing their booking reference when requested will be in breach of Megatrain conditions, and will be required to purchase a full priced aingle ticket for their journey.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
It's:

http://uk.megabus.com/terms-and-conditions-megatrain.aspx

However that seems not to be the one linked to from the front page, so possibly the policy has now changed and an old link is left there.

I do like their 404 page - no through road!

Odd...Anyway, to reach the relevant page I clicked on Terms and Conditions, then Conditions of Carriage and then chose Megatrain in the dropdown. The same Conditions appear if you add a Megatrain journey to the basket and click on the "Conditions of carriage for this leg of your journey" link in the itinerary in the basket.

Status
Not open for further replies.