Megatrain seems to have new T&Cs.
10(e) seems to make it clear about travelling short
10(e) seems to make it clear about travelling short
Megatrain Terms & Conditions
These General Terms & Conditions apply for journeys wholly on megatrain services provided by East Midlands Trains, South West Trains or Virgin Trains.
1.You must be aged 16 years, or older, to purchase tickets and services from this website.
2. Fares apply to all passengers aged 5 years or older. No discount is given for children or Railcard holders.
3. When booking your journey, you must check your journey itinerary before making payment. Once paid for, megatrain tickets are not refundable except under Condition 10h.
4. You can amend your megatrain booking up to 48 hours before the departure of the first megatrain service in your booking. You will need to pay the difference between the price paid and the next available price for your journey. If the new journey is at cheaper, there will be no refund of the difference. A £1 fee (50p amendment and 50p booking fee) will apply for each booking changed. If you purchase more than one ticket for the same journey you will only be able to amend the group of tickets and you will not be able to amend the tickets individually.
5.You should arrive at your departure station at least 15 minutes before the scheduled departure of the train. This will allow you plenty of time to board and prevents any delay to the train service.
6.Journeys are only available for travel in Standard Class. A Weekend First Upgrade is available on East Midlands Trains at weekends and public holidays, subject to availability.
7. Megatrain booking references cannot be used in conjunction with any National Rail, East Midlands Trains, Virgin Trains or South West Trains promotion or offer unless stated otherwise. (This includes, but is not limited to, PlusBus and discounted admission tickets to attractions.)
8. Seat reservations are not available on megatrain services.
9. Services provided by Virgin Trains must be booked at least 48 hours in advance of travel. Services provided by other operators can be booked the day before travel.
10. Bookings for megatrain services are in accordance with the National Rail Conditions of Carriage. Some of these conditions are clarified or specifically amended below.
a. A valid booking reference acts as the ticket for your journey. This can be a printed confirmation e-mail, SMS or written format. You must present this when requested by a member of staff whilst travelling on the train or to enter/leave a station.
b. NUS Extra card holders must show their card and booking reference when asked by a member of staff. If you are unable to show your card when requested, you will need to buy a new rail ticket. This rail ticket will be the price of the most appropriate undiscounted Single rail fare for the journey being made. No refund will be given on the megatrain ticket or additional ticket purchased.
c. If you are unable to present a valid reference for your journey when requested, either on the train or exiting the station, you will be treated as having no ticket for your journey. You will have to pay the undiscounted Anytime Single rail fare for the journey being made. In addition, you may have to pay a Penalty Fare if your journey involves travel on East Midlands Trains or South West Trains. No refund will be given on the megatrain ticket or additional ticket purchased.
d. If you are unable to present a valid reference for you journey when entering the station, you will need to buy a ticket from the self-service ticket machine or ticket office. No refund will be given on the megatrain ticket or additional rail ticket purchased.
e. You must travel between the stations, on the date and at the time(s) in your booking confirmation. If you start, break and resume, or end your journey at any intermediate station you will need to buy a new rail ticket. This rail ticket will be the price of the most appropriate undiscounted Single rail fare for the journey being made. No refund will be given on the megatrain ticket or additional ticket purchased.
f. You must ensure that you have a valid rail ticket for any parts of your journey not covered by your megatrain reference. If you are unable to do this, you will be charged the undiscounted Anytime Single rail fare for the journey being made. In addition, you may have to pay a Penalty Fare if your journey involves travel on East Midlands Trains or South West Trains.
g. A maximum of two children (aged under 5 years) can travel for free with each fare paying adult. They are not entitled to a seat unless a journey has been purchased for them. Children travelling for free cannot occupy a seat if it is needed by a fare paying passenger.
h. If the megatrain service you are booked on is cancelled, or delayed by 60 minutes or more, you may travel on the next available rail service towards your destination. If you then decide not to travel, you may have a full refund of the megatrain fare and booking fee.
i. No compensation will be offered if your journey is cancelled or delayed.
j. You may take up to three items of luggage (up to 50kg each) with each fare paying passenger, without charge. More details are available in the National Rail Conditions of Carriage. Please ensure luggage is safely stored in luggage racks (where provided), in overhead racks or under your seat. A charge may be made for excess or over sized luggage; large items that obstruct doors and gangways cannot be carried.
k. Cycles (not tandems) are permitted on megatrain services operated by South West Trains (London Waterloo to/from Bournemouth, Havant, Poole, Portsmouth and Weymouth only) and must be stowed in dedicated areas of the train, subject to space. Cycles are not permitted on any East Midlands Trains or Virgin Trains services. Folding cycles can be carried on any megatrain service as hand luggage if they remain folded for the duration of journey.
11. Insurance is purchased by the carrier in accordance with our legal responsibility. All legal liabilities to third parties, to include damage to property and personal injury are covered. Our maximum liability to you for any loss or damage to your luggage, on megabus.com services under any and all circumstances is limited to £500 for all such loss or damage.
Megabus.com will not be liable for any monetary loss or the loss of legal documents. This includes currency, valuable securities such as cheques, premium bonds, money orders, certificates, passports or driving licences. Items of significant value such as jewellery and portable electronic devices should be kept on your persons at all times. Megabus.com can not be held liable for these items left unattended.
It is advised that you insure your luggage, especially if you are carrying valuable items, with reputable insurers against all usual and normal risks of loss or damage, to the full replacement value of the luggage, with no excess.
Loss of luggage or personal property must be notified immediately to a megabus.com employee. The passenger should also contact the company owning the vehicle on which they travelled.
12. If we have reason to suspect fraudulent use of booking references, transfer to another person, or other abuse, we reserve the right to refuse you travel on our service(s). No refund will be given in relation to fraudulent use of booking references.
13. Stagecoach Group and affiliated company passes are not valid for travel on megatrain services.