• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Megatrain

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk1

Veteran Member
I had a look for a friend yesterday who is looking to travel Sheffield-Norwich next month but this option no longer appears on this route. Anyone know why please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Presumably EMT no longer have spare seats to pass on to Megatrain.

Peter

I'm inclined to concur, especially with it being summer.

Only Megatrain or EMT will be able to give you an authoritative answer, though.

Last edited:

wibble

I'm inclined to concur, especially with it being summer.

Only Megatrain or EMT will be able to give you an authoritative answer, though.

EMT will decide the service pattern so megatrain will refer the query to EMT.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
For whatever reason, it appears EMT have withdrawn Megatrain tickets between Sheffield and Peterborough/Norwich. They did this several months ago - I emailed them to ask why but they just responded with some corporate waffle about reallocating quotas or something. As they haven't appeared on the system in the intervening time, I think it's fair to say they've gone for good from this route.

A shame really - a couple of years ago you could have a day return from Sheffield to Norwich (on a saturday with over 4 hours in Norwich) for a total fare of £2.50! Has there ever been a cheaper UK rail fare in terms of cost per mile?

dk1

Veteran Member
For whatever reason, it appears EMT have withdrawn Megatrain tickets between Sheffield and Peterborough/Norwich. They did this several months ago - I emailed them to ask why but they just responded with some corporate waffle about reallocating quotas or something. As they haven't appeared on the system in the intervening time, I think it's fair to say they've gone for good from this route.

A shame really - a couple of years ago you could have a day return from Sheffield to Norwich (on a saturday with over 4 hours in Norwich) for a total fare of £2.50! Has there ever been a cheaper UK rail fare in terms of cost per mile?

Yeah they where extremmely good value. Never mind all good things come to an end i suppose.

pemma

Veteran Member
They've also removed the Stagecoach Lancashire Manchester-Blackpool coach service from Megabus, which certainly wasn't full but not many people knew that they could buy cheap tickets for that service through Megabus.

I was planning to use the Sheffield-Norwich Megatrain fare at some point in the future, so I'm disappointed that it's gone as well.

WillPS

Established Member
I don't know what they were thinking with it tbh. Both times I used megatrain to Norwich the trains were full and at certain points (beyond Nottingham) full and standing.

dk1

Veteran Member
I don't know what they were thinking with it tbh. Both times I used megatrain to Norwich the trains were full and at certain points (beyond Nottingham) full and standing.

Maybe they might look at it again when the extra rolling stock arrives. Many services on this route are very well loaded throughout.

WillPS

Established Member
Maybe they might look at it again when the extra rolling stock arrives. Many services on this route are very well loaded throughout.
Perhaps, but that wont help the service east of Nottingham which is where the megatrain was aimed at (there was no SHF-NOT availability). This section gets busier every time I use it.

Might get some Megatrain tickets on the West.

dk1

Veteran Member
Perhaps, but that wont help the service east of Nottingham which is where the megatrain was aimed at (there was no SHF-NOT availability). This section gets busier every time I use it.

Nrw-Not will at least gain 1 extra eastbound service when the 13.52 ex-Lime St gets extended & the 05.50 from Norwich becomes a 4-car throughout.

Status
Not open for further replies.