• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Men with flags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Chris

Quick question: As I walked to work just before 12 there were two network rail dudes in orange jackets with chequered flags standing beside the lines any ideas what they would be doing/ what the flags would be for?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
im sure the flag is to show the end of a temp speed restriciton when NR staff are working on the track but im not 100% on that one

Last edited:

Railsigns

Established Member
The chequered flag is waved by the advance lookout to warn the site lookout that a train is approaching. The site lookout acknowledges this by waving a similar flag.

Aictos

Established Member
Not my area but from the description, they sound like look outs for staff working on or near the line ie when a train approaches they warn the staff before returning to a point of safety.

I'm sure the guys on here who deal with that side of work can give a even more detailed note if need be.

TDK

Established Member
Not my area but from the description, they sound like look outs for staff working on or near the line ie when a train approaches they warn the staff before returning to a point of safety.

I'm sure the guys on here who deal with that side of work can give a even more detailed note if need be.

They are most certainly look outs, the flag is used for visibility at distance on a long sweeping curve with a higer linespeed you can see 3 or sometimes 4 advanced lookouts with chequered flags.

455driver

Veteran Member
im sure the flag is to show the end of a temp speed restriciton when NR staff are working on the track but im not 100% on that one

Wrong, as everybody else has said they are advanced lookouts for workers further around the corner.
When the lookout sees a train approaching he waves the flag, when the train is clear the flag is held steady to signify that work can recommence. The only significance to a driver is to sound the horn when he sees the look-out.

Trog

Established Member
They are most certainly look outs, the flag is used for visibility at distance on a long sweeping curve with a higer linespeed you can see 3 or sometimes 4 advanced lookouts with chequered flags.

These days you are only allowed one advanced and one intermediate look out in each direction.

Aictos

Established Member
Wrong, as everybody else has said they are advanced lookouts for workers further around the corner.
When the lookout sees a train approaching he waves the flag, when the train is clear the flag is held steady to signify that work can recommence. The only significance to a driver is to sound the horn when he sees the look-out.

Quite right, please note as well that the correct sign to indicate the end of a Temporary Speed Restriction is:

14_27.gif

Many Thanks to the Rail Signs site.

Railsigns

Established Member
Quite right, please note as well that the correct sign to indicate the end of a Temporary Speed Restriction is:

14_27.gif

Many Thanks to the Rail Signs site.
You're welcome, and please note that direct linking ('hot-linking') to images on the Railsigns site isn't possible!

Status
Not open for further replies.