• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mental Health

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iskra

Established Member
I’m a line manager across 2 sites and have a fairly sizeable team. I’m finding that I’m spending an increasing amount of time having conversations with people about their mental well-being, probably 2/3 times a week now. That’s not the issue, I’m always happy to listen and to try give the best advice I can. However, I’m finding myself increasingly out of my depth in terms of the subjects I’m dealing with and the stakes are getting higher in terms of consequences if I give the wrong advice.

My organisation has a helpline, which I give out and I’ve discussed it with more senior people and they tell me that ‘something is coming,’ in the future that will assist me as a manager in helping my employees, but that might be too late.

So in the meantime, does anyone know any organisations that could provide me with some inexpensive training (as I’ll be funding it myself probably) on how best to deliver ‘mental health first aid.’ I’m not looking to become a fully blown expert in the subject, but I feel I need to be confident in assisting my team. If I find some worthwhile training I’d be happy to try introduce it into my organisation and I feel there are people who would be supportive in that.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can collectively offer.

Please can this conversation remain respectful if it moves onto any wider aspects of mental health and can we avoid the rights and wrongs of why I feel I need to do something about it myself. Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
Mind offer training courses.

https://www.mind.org.uk/workplace/t...ace/training-consultancy/slices/introduction/

Whether you're an individual or an employer who only has one or two members of staff that require training in any area of mental wellbeing, we have a training course to suit your needs.*

On our courses for anyone, we also welcome small groups** (max 2) for more details on this please see below. For larger groups, you may be interested in our In house training.

Take advantage of our early bird rate of just £229 +VAT including lunch and training materials and save £20 by booking at least two weeks in advance. Book your place today!

ComUtoR

Established Member
http://www.sja.org.uk/sja/training-...MI2e6Ezcfp5QIVhbTtCh1nqwIQEAAYAiAAEgKRD_D_BwE

Adult Mental Health First Aid Two-Day Course
Developed by MHFA England, this two-day course qualifies delegates as mental health first aiders. Delegates will get a deep understanding of what mental health is and what factors can affect wellbeing. The course teaches delegates practical skills to spot the signs of mental illness and gives them the confidence to step in and support a person who needs assistance.

St Johns Ambulance (£300)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’m a line manager across 2 sites and have a fairly sizeable team. I’m finding that I’m spending an increasing amount of time having conversations with people about their mental well-being, probably 2/3 times a week now. That’s not the issue, I’m always happy to listen and to try give the best advice I can. However, I’m finding myself increasingly out of my depth in terms of the subjects I’m dealing with and the stakes are getting higher in terms of consequences if I give the wrong advice.

My organisation has a helpline, which I give out and I’ve discussed it with more senior people and they tell me that ‘something is coming,’ in the future that will assist me as a manager in helping my employees, but that might be too late.

So in the meantime, does anyone know any organisations that could provide me with some inexpensive training (as I’ll be funding it myself probably) on how best to deliver ‘mental health first aid.’ I’m not looking to become a fully blown expert in the subject, but I feel I need to be confident in assisting my team. If I find some worthwhile training I’d be happy to try introduce it into my organisation and I feel there are people who would be supportive in that.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can collectively offer.

Please can this conversation remain respectful if it moves onto any wider aspects of mental health and can we avoid the rights and wrongs of why I feel I need to do something about it myself. Thanks.
As @ComUtoR mentioned I’d definitely give Mind a go. I did a few day courses with them when I worked for Social Services and they were excellent.
I know people that have gone on their courses more recently than me, and it sounds like they’re still one of the first ports of call.

Iskra

Established Member
Thank you everyone who has contributed. I’ve discovered that I can access a level 2 mental health awareness course for free through my union, which seems like a good starting point.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Thank you everyone who has contributed. I’ve discovered that I can access a level 2 mental health awareness course for free through my union, which seems like a good starting point.
I really admire you for doing this, although it should be something provided by the organisation rather than you having to take the initiative. There are so many companies which don't have a clue when it comes to the mental well-being of their staff, and I certainly could have benefitted in the past from having someone who was suitably trained.

Iskra

Established Member
I really admire you for doing this, although it should be something provided by the organisation rather than you having to take the initiative. There are so many companies which don't have a clue when it comes to the mental well-being of their staff, and I certainly could have benefitted in the past from having someone who was suitably trained.

Thank you. I agree with you, but I can't instantly change the organisation-wide situation. Hopefully I can do this course, benefit from it and then sell (not literally) the idea to the right people within my organisation. There is definitely something in the pipeline, but for me I need it sooner than that :)

theblackwatch

Established Member
My employer uses a training firm called 'Happy' for a number of courses, mainly for IT-based stuff, but they appear to have branched out - I attended a Mindfulness and Personal Resilience half-day course run by them earlier today and based on that, I'd recommend the firm to other organisations.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
As others have said, Mind and SJA courses are very good.

But also don't underestimate the power of just listening. Don't feel that you have to have the answers. Listen, acknowledge what has been said. Try *not* to sympathise ("I know how you feel") and try to empathise ("that sounds rough", "that must be hard for you").

I supervise and manage a team of welfare benefits and debt advisers, as well as doing my own casework with some very vulnerable people. The missus is a clinical psychologist, so we're fun at parties. It's a hard job, and it's still hard after 15 years experience doing this type of work, including working with some very challenging people. So it will feel hard for you if you don't feel you have the skills to manage the situation. But don't feel you have to be perfect or that if you say the wrong thing their world will crumble.

But if there's one thing I would say is try and understand the professional boundaries and maintain them- for your sanity. Your job is to listen and to signpost appropriately, be it to their GP, occupational health, or elsewhere. Your job isn't to advise them on what they should or shouldn't do, or fix their issues. You really mustn't take ownership of their problems nor allow them to make you feel responsible for sorting their issues. You're not their GP.

Status
Not open for further replies.