• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"MENTOR" Coach - What does it do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
I believe the MENTOR coach is used for testing new OLE but what gets measured by it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

broadgage

Various parameters, including height of contact wire, amount of force exerted on the pantograph, the degree of left/right stagger in the contact wire. and also is equipped with several high quality cameras to "film" the contact wire/pantograph interaction.
IIRC the test coach can also impose a variable electrical load on the overhead so as to simulate the current drawn by different types of locomotive or EMU and measure the voltage under load.

Harbornite

Established Member
This gives me an excuse to dig out my pic of it... taken today at Kings Norton on its way back from Reading.

27753529754_af51e88fab_c.jpg

It's getting on a bit, I saw in one of Philip Phlopp's posts that it's 61 years old.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
How much of it's functionality is covered by the Flying Banana?

IIRC most of the position measurements, cos the NMT also has a pantograph coach, although it doesn't take any power from the OHL.

However, I don't think Mentor actually emulates an EMU or loco electrical load in the way suggested above.

My reasoning is that it would have to be able to dissipate vast amounts of power in some sort of load bank to simulate a loco or EMU, and I don't think such a load bank is present in the coach. I'd expect the Mentor coach to be able to draw enough current to verify the contact is good, but that would be all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.