• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merlodlliw/Bob Hargreaves RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

berneyarms

Established Member
I was just thinking that we hadn't seen any posts from him for some time.

Very sad news.

May he rest in peace.

Monty

Established Member
Very sad, his contributions will be sorely missed. My condolences go out to his family and all who knew him.

LowLevel

Established Member
RIP Bob. Obviously a man with great passion for transport in his local area and a sad loss to the forum.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Bob was a great supporter of railways in North-East Wales and was always wiling to assist me in my railway historical researches in some of the more obscure freight and passenger services in that area. He acted as a steward at the carriage racing events and was often seen at the National Trust property at Erddig. I have indeed lost a true friend.

Requiescat in pace.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Indeed terribly sad news, although Iam relatively new to the forum I would just like to echo what was said above about his interesting and informative posts, my thoughts go to his family at this very sad time, Rest in Peace.

trainophile

Established Member
That's awful news :( . He was such a great help regarding my early days queries about Gerald, the forum has lost a good person. RIP Bob.

Edit: Indeed the thread he started is still on this first page.

Last edited:

tbtc

Veteran Member
Genuinely sad news - he was always interesting to read, very passionate about fighting for his "corner" (as the Wrexham "doubling" was slowly descoped).

We argued passionately on some things (WSMR etc) and were generally in agreement on others ("WAG Express" etc) - he was the kind of informed poster who worked hard offline to improve things too, the kind of person that the Forum needs more of - decent bloke - sad news - will raise a glass in your honour tonight.

Jordy

Established Member
Yes very sad to hear this, his contributions will be missed - condolences to friends and family.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I didn't know Bob at all but my thoughts go out to all who did and Bob himself. RIP

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Very sad news, he was certainly very passionate about his part of the country. My deepest condolences to his family and friends, RIP.

tsr

Established Member
I also did not know him personally, but I greatly admired the depth and genuine interest shown in his contributions on here. As others have said, we will miss him and my thoughts are with his friends and family.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
As Bob was active in SCRUA our paths did cross when I was SARPA Chairman and we were often in contact with each other by e mail outside the forum. He was very passionate not just about Wrexham but the railway through Severn to Dee. The local AM often had his bullets loaded by Bob.

His wife is disabled so I hope there's support for her as I know Bob did a lot and the times of some of his postings were because of having to be up at certain times to care for her.

Welshman

Established Member
Although I never met him personally, I feel I knew something of him through this forum, and feel the loss at the news of his death.
My condolences to his family.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
An ever present and highly valued forum member. Not always been plain sailing in dealings with him but top bloke imo. Thoughts are with his family for this terrible loss.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I had several "debates" regarding the pragmatism/practicality/affordability of some of the ideas he championed but he was always a well informed an passionate supporter of railways in the North Wales area and a polite and mature debater.

This is very sad news - perhaps the administrators could pass on our condolences to the family or use this thread as a a virtual book of condolence

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Very sad news. An excellent contributor even if we occasionally disagreed and a loss to this forum and to those campaigns he supported.

berneyarms

Established Member
If anyone is in the area, I did see this notice online - a celebration of his life will be held tomorrow.

Robert (Bob) Hargreaves - July 24th 2015- The Daily Post

HARGREAVES - Robert (Bob) 18th July 2015 peacefully at home in Bwlchgwyn, aged 74 years. Dearly loved husband of Janet, dear son of the late Cyril and Mary Hargreaves. A celebration of Bob's life will be held at Pentrebychan Crematorium at 2:30pm on Thursday, 30th July 2015. Everyone attending the service is invited to please wear something bright. Family flowers only please, donations in memory may be given if desired via the offertory plate towards the work of Marie Curie, Macmillan Nurses and Nightingale House Hospice who were all very kind to Bob throughout his short illness. Enquiries please to Roberts Bros. High Street, Pentre Broughton. Tel. 01978 756997.

As others have said, Bob was very informative and passionate about the railways in the Wrexham and North Wales areas. I certainly had some lively discussions with him during his campaign to save the through Wrexham-Birmingham morning service, but I would respect his deeply held views. He was an excellent contributor to the forum.

Certainly his local AM will not be as informed from a rail perspective as a result of his passing.

Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member
I would just like to add my sympathies as well, we have lost a very passionate railway enthusiast (in the true sense of the words), sleep well!

Perhaps we could all raise a virtual glass to him at 2.30 tomorrow, if we are in a position to do so. (Or in keeping with the forum, at 1430).

What an excellent idea, I am rest day tomorrow so will raise a proper glass, even though I could never pronounce his user name. ;)

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I am saddened by this news. Bob occasionally emailed me outside the forum when he thought there was something that I would be interested in. I shall miss him, and his contributions, even though we never actually met in person.

I'll definitely be raising a glass of pop in his memory tomorrow at 1430.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Although I never met him personally, I feel I knew something of him through this forum, and feel the loss at the news of his death.
My condolences to his family.

I also did not know him personally, but I greatly admired the depth and genuine interest shown in his contributions on here. As others have said, we will miss him and my thoughts are with his friends and family.

Perhaps we could all raise a virtual glass to him at 2.30 tomorrow, if we are in a position to do so. (Or in keeping with the forum, at 1430).

I was in the process of drafting a post, but the above have summed up precisely what I was wishing to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.