• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merlodlliw/Bob Hargreaves RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

headshot119

Established Member
A champion on local issues to the railways around North East Wales, and although we didn't always agree I could never fault his passion and enthusiasm. A top poster on this forum. We never met even though we lived in the same town.

Rest In Peace Bob. Rail UK has lost a great contributor, and a true enthusiast. My thoughts go out to your family at this difficult time.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
I shall be raising a glass (well, a cup of tea at least, it's too early) in 40 minutes or so, hopefully many of you will join me.

Very sad news, his postings on the Wrexham redoubling and Halton curve were very informative. He will be sadly missed.

tbtc

Veteran Member
All the best Bob – glass duly raised in your honour.

You were a proper enthusiast, someone who fought his corner well and always made for an interesting discussion – you will be missed

Darandio

Established Member
All the best Bob – glass duly raised in your honour.

You were a proper enthusiast, someone who fought his corner well and always made for an interesting discussion – you will be missed

Hear, hear.

trainophile

Established Member
:oops: Afraid I was 150 down with the glass raising :oops: . I was having a mobile phone panic, which ended up costing me £600+ for a new one, hence I was somewhat distracted from everyday life.

I trust Bob would see the funny side. Hope the celebration of his life went well.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Due to an ongoing bout of illness, I have been unable to raise a glass to Bob today. As soon as I'm able to, I will.

R.I.P Bob. You will be missed...

455driver

Veteran Member
I raised a glass at 14:30 and another at 14:45 just to be on the safe side! :lol:

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A passionate and dedicated contributor to the forum, he will be greatly missed.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
A man who I'm sure many could aspire to for his commitment to supporting and working to promote public transport for his area in whatever way he could. The forum is a less rich place without his contributions and he will be much missed.

I am deeply saddened to hear of his death. RIP Merlod.

The Planner

Veteran Member
I thought something was odd as he hadnt signed in since May and he was normally like a terrier with a bone with Cambrian and North Wales items. He must make up a good 75% of my private messages as he was always after info! A great shame.

Clip

Established Member
Very sad to hear of a forum member passing - and he did seem very passionate about his local areas railways. RIP.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Due to an ongoing bout of illness, I have been unable to raise a glass to Bob today. As soon as I'm able to, I will.

R.I.P Bob. You will be missed...
Raised a cuppa to him at around 1:30 PM today. Better really late than never...

Again, he will be sorely missed...

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Just noticed this thread, but I was aware that Bob had passed away. His posts about railways and their North Wales connections were of particular interest to me and his tales, told in his unique style, are very much missed. A sad loss.

krus_aragon

Established Member
I joined the forum shortly after Bob. He was always happy to share any local railway information by pm (draft timetables, proposals and the like), and steadfast in his support for the railways in north-east Wales. His opinions were always expressed in a honest manner, and I'm glad of the contributions he made to conversations here.

I fondly recall his somewhat idiosyncratic way of signing off his posts, and how he eventually mastered using [quote] tags in his replies, after much persistence. :)

In memory of Bob the Forum has made a donation to the three charities that his family had requested donations be made to. If any other members wish to do so then they can follow these links to do so:

Marie Curie
Macmillan
Nightingale House Hospice

I'm very glad that forum management has chosen to remember him in this way.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Really sad news, remember having a discussion with him about the Wrexham redoubling. A very passionate member who I'm sure will be sadly missed. Thoughts are with his family at this sad time :(

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I was a neighbour of Bob across the hills and we met at local events and shared our rail knowledge.
He was a passionate campaigner for his local line.
Very sad to see him go, I will miss his cheery emails.
With his newspaper background he certainly knew how to ferret out a "story" and fire up the politicos in support.
He will probably be following the Wrexham redoubling saga from afar!
RIP Bob.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.