• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mersey Day Saver restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony_mac

Established Member
Does anyone have the text of restrictions for the Merseyside Day Saver?

The off-peak day returns it replaced used to be valid when starting the journey before 06:31.
The Merseyrail webpage says 'not valid for travel between 06.31 and 09.29'
National Rail just says 'valid from 9:30', so that's no use.

Background: A colleague is being sold one from his local station for a 06:28 departure. The ticket office insist it is valid, but the gateline staff at the other end claim it isn't - although they haven't charged him any money yet!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Polarbear

Established Member
Merseyrail (and Merseytravel) can be somewhat ambiguous when it comes to clearly stating the morning peak restrictions for some of their products. :roll:

My understanding is that the rail only daysaver is not valid before 09:30 & the text on the Merseyrail website seems to confirm this;

Make as many journeys as you like throughout the day with a Day Saver ticket. Day Savers are valid from 09:30, Monday to Friday and all day Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays.

However, Saveaway tickets are valid prior to 06:31 and after 09:29 on weekdays. This is stated on the Saveaway information leaflet;

http://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/Tickets/compare-tickets/Documents/Saveaway_2014.pdf

Hope that helps?

plannerman

I would ask Merseyrail directly, and print out their reply assuming they do allow travel before 0630. If you're on Twitter, both Merseyrail and the MD (@merseymaarten) are very active are good at replying to queries.

razor89

Restriction code for the daysaver is Y7: Not valid for travel 0631-0929 Mon-Fri. The gateline staff are wrong and frankly should know better.

nedchester

Established Member
On TVMs it says the ticket is not valid between 0631 and 0929 so yes it can be used on the early trains.

gazthomas

Established Member
Restriction code for the daysaver is Y7: Not valid for travel 0631-0929 Mon-Fri. The gateline staff are wrong and frankly should know better.

But if the OPs colleague is doing a trip more than 2 minutes they are then travelling (not departing) in the restricted period?

jamesst

Not valid between 0631 and 0929.
Many people use the ticket on the 0630 out of Chester,as long as your journey starts outside the times listed above you'll be fine

AntoniC

Not valid between 0631 and 0929.
Many people use the ticket on the 0630 out of Chester,as long as your journey starts outside the times listed above you'll be fine

James is right

Start the journey BEFORE 6.30 and your Ok.

For example you could catch the 6.28 train from Southport to Liverpool and it would be valid.

razor89

But if the OPs colleague is doing a trip more than 2 minutes they are then travelling (not departing) in the restricted period?

The restriction is certainly poorly phrased however what counts is the time a journey is started.

34D

Established Member
The restriction is certainly poorly phrased however what counts is the time a journey is started.

I'm also not comfortable with the word "travel" used in this context. We need some official clarification I feel.

razor89

It's also worth noting that the OP mentions the old Cheap Day Returns were valid for journeys starting before 0631, these had the same restriction code Y7.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
When I enquired about this for SaveAway tickets a while back, I was told that you could start a journey before 0631, but if you changed trains after that time (e.g. Northern to Wirral lines) then that counted as a new "journey" and the ticket was not valid on the second train.

tony_mac

Established Member
To finish this off - my colleague, apparently, received confirmation from Merseyrail that the Day Saver is valid for journeys starting before 0630.

Status
Not open for further replies.