• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail axe Morrisey Posters

Status
Not open for further replies.

farleigh

What exactly are you so bothered about? Why does Morrissey have to be advertised? Why is this even news? No one is preventing freedom of speach.
Go back and read what I've said. All of it, not selected bits
rolleye0014.gif

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fowler9

Established Member
Go back and read what I've said. All of it, not selected bits
rolleye0014.gif
Why should Morrissey be allowed to have adverts on the Merseyrail network if the powers that be don't want to allow it. That really is the only question and you haven't answered it at all in your wonderfully emboldened response. It's a really simple question. Why?

SignallerJohn

I'm suprised that someone hasn't yet decided to milkshake the posters since that's how some on the left react to those on the centre and right of the spectrum. To further the above, should Stephen Yaxley-Lennon win his MEP seat could Merseyrail grudgingly decide to get him oboard to promote community cohesion.

Without going off topic but worth a mention, I have seen various videos of Stephen Yaxley-Lennon when he's been out and around the North West of England on his MEP campaign - not once have I seen him do or say anything which could be deemed as discrminatory as one Muslim called out the others over their dangerous behaviour which was in Oldham where some were throwing bricks and scissors at women and children. If requested, I'll post the said video.

What Merseyrail should do in the short term would be for them to find someone else who is local to do some promoting instead, e.g. Anton Powers, who is a local DJ.
Give it time though and it could happen, even one rag could end up using a photo of the Merseyrail poster in question which could then lead to even Merseyrail being questioned as to why they used his image.

Using the race card is extremely boring, I can see why most on the left have resorted to milkshaking. I suggest that you watch all of the following video, where masked thugs attack women and children at a Tommy Robinson campaign in Oldham. One Muslim male calls out the dreadful actions of his community which is from 14.27 in the video
The race card is extremely boring? I’m amazed by this comment on an otherwise good discussion of what should and shouldn’t be advertised. Keep your propaganda video to yourself, if you go on twitter I’m sure you can find videos documenting how well behaved your hero and your idols are :)

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ack-fight-brawl-hospital-police-a8898786.html

P.S. The leader of the Labour Party only a few weeks ago had an egg thrown at him.

Depends on the kind of exposure - I know we're all kind of heading right wing as we get older but there is right wing and there is an off the edge. He seems to have been heading over that edge for some time What would be beneficial for all who care (whoever they may be) would be a statement outlining what he does and does not agree with.

Hahaha thanks for this, what a preposterous claim.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Merseyrail don’t have to allow anything, but to allow something and then to suddenly disallow it because of a tiny number of complaints about the advertiser’s political views seems rather depressing.

I don’t recall Morrissey engaging in anything illegal no matter how simplistic and silly his views are.

Bad call.

Skie

Anyone who lets their property host advertising gets a say in what type of content/advertising they will allow. There will be categories they don't allow, and companies they wont allow (like the Sun 'newspaper'). Usually when it's an edge case or a controversial figure the advertiser will pass it by the owner of the location. For whatever reason it wasn't done here, probably because not everybody knows of the comments made by Morrissey or his support for a far right group, if it had been sent to them for clearance then the adverts would simply have never appeared and this whole 'controversy' would never have happened.

farleigh

Why should Morrissey be allowed to have adverts on the Merseyrail network if the powers that be don't want to allow it. That really is the only question and you haven't answered it at all in your wonderfully emboldened response. It's a really simple question. Why?
They don't and I never said they did. Not quite sure what your point is.

fowler9

Established Member
They don't and I never said they did. Not quite sure what your point is.
My point absolutely all the way through everything I have said is that the Merseyrail network and everyone else on the entire planet has no commitment to advertise Morrissey. It doesn't block free speech not to do so. They can change their mind if they initially said they would advertise him. Mate I don't know what else to say to you. I really don't know what your point is either. I honestly don't think I could have been clearer.

If this still doesn't make sense read it again along with everything else I have said.

If they don't and you never said they did then what the hell have you been replying to me for?

tigerroar

On Moderation
He has expressed support from the "For Britain" political party which is a far-right anti-Islam political party.
Everything that isn't Corbynist left nonsense seems to be far right now, is there no middle ground? The far right must be as crowded as the summit of Everest.

fowler9

Established Member
Everything that isn't Corbynist left nonsense seems to be far right now, is there no middle ground? The far right must be as crowded as the summit of Everest.
Contrary to that anything that isn't survival of the fittest Ayn Rand nonsense seems to be viewed as Stalinist these days. Ayn Rand carked it on benefits for the record.

farleigh

My point absolutely all the way through everything I have said is that the Merseyrail network and everyone else on the entire planet has no commitment to advertise Morrissey. It doesn't block free speech not to do so. They can change their mind if they initially said they would advertise him. Mate I don't know what else to say to you. I really don't know what your point is either. I honestly don't think I could have been clearer.

If this still doesn't make sense read it again along with everything else I have said.

If they don't and you never said they did then what the hell have you been replying to me for?
No need to be rude. You seem quite an angry person. I shall not engage with you further

fowler9

Established Member
No need to be rude. You seem quite an angry person. I shall not engage with you further
Not angry at all mate. I simply don't understand what it is you don't understand about what I am saying. I apologise if I caused any offence. Let's agree to disagree and I'll look forward to chatting to you again. I'm sure we can find more we can agree on than what we disagree on. Ha ha. Enjoy what is left of the weekend.

farleigh

Not angry at all mate. I simply don't understand what it is you don't understand about what I am saying. I apologise if I caused any offence. Let's agree to disagree and I'll look forward to chatting to you again. I'm sure we can find more we can agree on than what we disagree on. Ha ha. Enjoy what is left of the weekend.
Yeah no worries. No offence taken of course

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
I'm sure Morrissey's management are delighted that, thanks to Merseyrail's ban, an album of cheesy karaoke covers by a washed up 1980s singer has received far more publicity than they would ever have expected!

Personally it's never occurred to me to check whether I agree with a singer's political views before buying their music but then I grew up in more sensible times,,,,

modernrail

I might call my new party fuselage, because it is cold, uncomfortable, unproductive and ultimately utterly pointless sitting out there on the wings, no matter how thrilling and refreshing it feels for the first 30 seconds.

Lots of problems to solve, sticking your heads up your backsides to indulge in ego driven, insular, self-indulgent debate will solve precisely none of them.

Morrisey has been ranting for years. It became utterly boring a long time ago.

tigerroar

On Moderation
I've not listened to anything of his since Last of the famous international playboys. I liked that. I was still at school then mind!

CanalWalker

What???? A lot of people died to allow free speech? No, a lot of people died to stop a bunch of racists who were given free speech and then acted on it. Merseyrail are free not to advertise the music of a racist.

Many bands I like claim to be satanists. I am not myself but I don't think Merseyrail should have to advertise them because oddly enough, in a kind of satanic way, do what thou will. Why should they have to advertise a racist?

Would you go so far as to say that Merseyrail should refuse to transport Morissey nor other racists

fowler9

Established Member
Would you go so far as to say that Merseyrail should refuse to transport Morissey nor other racists
No. It would be nice if people weren't racist but I don't think they should refuse transport to Morrissey. What a stupid question. Do you think Merseyrail should be forced to advertise absolutely everything? Do you think churches should be forced to play black metal music if someone wants it at their wedding? Talk about missing the point.

fowler9

Established Member
I've actually just walked out of the Crown Hotel by Lime Street station as they are playing This Charming Man, ha ha. I actually quite like the song but left because I had to catch the train. I don't like racism but I like music and also don't mind people choosing what they wan't or don't want to promote. I can like Morrisseys music without being genocidal. I like Behemoth, Burzum and Emperor and have not murdered anyone or burned down a church. I don't think Merseyrail should have to advertise them. Is this starting to add up for anyone?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Its a dangerous precedent banning an advert for a musician's music based on his political views, besides there are a lot of celebrities that have a questionable history and posters advertising them haven't been banned.

Agreed.

Using the race card is extremely boring, I can see why most on the left have resorted to milkshaking. I suggest that you watch all of the following video, where masked thugs attack women and children at a Tommy Robinson campaign in Oldham. One Muslim male calls out the dreadful actions of his community which is from 14.27 in the video.

I don't want to watch a video advocating for Yaxley-Lennon thanks, especially one lacking impartiality. You are welcome to support Tiny Tommy Ten Names if you so wish. That is beauty of living in a democracy. However, most people with more than a couple of brain cells see him for what he is: a racist, hypocritical, self obsessed, criminal who has a record as long as your arm and has done quite a bit of jail time. Just some of the edited highlights of that record are:
  • Assaulting a police officer
  • Common Assault
  • Using a false passport
  • Mortgage fraud
  • “Threatening, abusive or insulting behaviour" during a 100-man fight between football hooligans in Luton
What a great bloke!

I wonder when the fearless champion of free speech and top level investigative reporter Yaxley-Lennon will cover trials of his EDL chums convicted of noncing kids. Is it just brown nonces that need his special scrutiny? If so why? Surely such a crusader for justice would be equally worried about stopping white child abusers. I also notice many Tommeh boys getting their knickers in a twist over a milkshake. Where were they when a far right terrorist murdered an MP? They must have been busy.

I wonder who is funding him and why. All that security doesn't come cheap. It isn't all silly people taken in by his on line grifting!

Ps it is interesting you simply accept that video as "gospel" without any apparent thought or further investigation. That is illustrative.

furnessvale

Established Member
I have no objection to a private individual or company exercising such censorship but Merseyrail is a public body. Should the executives of such a public body be using such censorship when no offence has been committed and the poster itself is patently inoffensive?

If the answer is yes, I presume there will be no objection should the next recipient of this censorship be an extreme left wing musician who has committed no offences and wishes to display an inoffensive poster.

OneOffDave

A lot of people seem to confuse the "right to free speech" with the "right to have my message carried on any medium I decide"

fowler9

Established Member
I have no objection to a private individual or company exercising such censorship but Merseyrail is a public body. Should the executives of such a public body be using such censorship when no offence has been committed and the poster itself is patently inoffensive?

If the answer is yes, I presume there will be no objection should the next recipient of this censorship be an extreme left wing musician who has committed no offences and wishes to display an inoffensive poster.
Mate I wouldn't be surprised or offended if someone complained about any number of bands I like who are left wing and haven't committed offences and Merseyrail decided to remove the adverts. I'd be more surprised if they advertised them in the first place.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Agreed.

I don't want to watch a video advocating for Yaxley-Lennon thanks, especially one lacking impartiality. You are welcome to support Tiny Tommy Ten Names if you so wish. That is beauty of living in a democracy. However, most people with more than a couple of brain cells see him for what he is: a racist, hypocritical, self obsessed, criminal who has a record as long as your arm and has done quite a bit of jail time. Just some of the edited highlights of that record are:
  • Assaulting a police officer
  • Common Assault
  • Using a false passport
  • Mortgage fraud
  • “Threatening, abusive or insulting behaviour" during a 100-man fight between football hooligans in Luton
What a great bloke!

I wonder when the fearless champion of free speech and top level investigative reporter Yaxley-Lennon will cover trials of his EDL chums convicted of noncing kids. Is it just brown nonces that need his special scrutiny? If so why? Surely such a crusader for justice would be equally worried about stopping white child abusers. I also notice many Tommeh boys getting their knickers in a twist over a milkshake. Where were they when a far right terrorist murdered an MP? They must have been busy.

I wonder who is funding him and why. All that security doesn't come cheap. It isn't all silly people taken in by his on line grifting!

Ps it is interesting you simply accept that video as "gospel" without any apparent thought or further investigation. That is illustrative.
Amen to that.

Clip

Established Member
Can anyone explain to me why Merseyrail have to advertise Morrissey? There are thousands of other albums they don't advertise. I note they never advertised The Satanist or I Loved You At Your Darkest by Behemoth. They never advertised The Principle Of Evil Made Flesh by Cradle Of Filth. They never advertised Butchered At Birth by Cannibal Corpse (They were in the film Ace Ventura Pet Detective, surely they should have got a plug).

You seem to have misunderstood how advertising works here.

Have any of your bands listed had their agency request that their albums be advertised at stations? Its quite expensive and they seem like niche metal bands so maybe they cant afford it or know it will be a waste of money in the long run because they wont recoup their costs in sales - ask them and youll probably find they didnt want to for the above reasons and as such your argument holds no water

fowler9

Established Member
To be honest mate you are probably right. I have mates in some of said bands and they simply wouldn't bother advertising here as not many people would take them on for advertising. They do advertise abroad though. One of my mates bands and the band they were touring with had issues with Joko Widodo when they were touring Indonesia, I mean direct problems. I honestly think Merseyrail not wanting to advertise Morrissey is nothing in comparison.

I will ask them if they could be bothered if Merseyrail wouldn't advertise them if you like?

mickulty

It might be instructive to take a trip on Merseyrail and see if there are any posters for anything that isn't entirely fluffy and inoffensive. Tempted to pop down myself next week when I have the chance.

Morrissey's a weird one, seems at one point or another he's had a go at just about everyone? With headlines about him like "Morrissey supports killing Donald Trump 'for the safety of humanity'", it seems plausible to me that a cursory look into him prompted by this complaint would have led to alarm from pretty much every angle.

Amaroussi

I am sick and tired of how toxic politics has become due to the shortcomings of social media companies, so I understand why Merseyrail cancelled the Morrisey posters when he started railing against people just because of their religion, because fear and hatred is a bad thing.

I reference Article 10 Paragraph 2, and Article 17 of the ECHR, which basically means that freedom of expression is not an excuse for anyone (whether be it the state or a human being) to be a … some word that describes an obnoxious person but I can't get round to using it because I am nice.
Source: https://www.echr.coe.int/Documents/Convention_ENG.pdf

Article 10 – Freedom of expression

1. Everyone has the right to freedom of expression. This right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers. This article shall not prevent States from requiring the licensing of broadcasting, television or cinema enterprises.

2. The exercise of these freedoms, since it carries with it duties and responsibilities, may be subject to such formalities, conditions, restrictions or penalties as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society, in the interests of national security, territorial integrity or public safety, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, for the protection of the reputation or rights of others, for preventing the disclosure of information received in confidence, or for maintaining the authority and impartiality of the judiciary.

Article 17 – Prohibition of abuse of rights

Nothing in this Convention may be interpreted as implying for any State, group or person any right to engage in any activity or perform any act aimed at the destruction of any of the rights and freedoms set forth herein or at their limitation to a greater extent than is provided for in the Convention.

Status
Not open for further replies.