• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

Harryn9000

Theres barely any staff to run the existing service (which will be reduced again imminently) let alone even consider training I'm afraid.
In addition any kind of training or non essential assessments are cancelled until further notice, I cant see anything other than a heavy delay to the new stock running.
i hope they ain't reduced any further it bad enough getting kirkby now

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Vespa

Established Member
Saw a picture of 777005 and 777007 last week looking completed and 777013 being put together in the factory.
Isn't 777002 with 001?

Thanks for the update.
Not been able to find the photos you mentioned.
Do you have a link please ?

Wezz

Video from @SirWezz on Twitter. I think that is Rice Lane station. Sounds a little bit like the Stadler stock on the Berlin U-Bahn, which is understandable I suppose.

EDIT: The same user has now added a slightly longer version of the same video.
Yes that's Rice Lane, 777 003 has done a couple of runs throughout the last few weeks, that was the first run but I missed it when it was heading to Kirkby, they've postponed the test runs until further notice following government advice.

The whole program will likely be delayed now.

MR-507508

It looks as though 777003 is back out this morning running on test on the Kirkby line. From what I recall, this is only its third test run so far, or have there been more?

M28361M

It looks as though 777003 is back out this morning running on test on the Kirkby line. From what I recall, this is only its third test run so far, or have there been more?

So it is - 1X03 currently making its way towards Kirkby on OpenTrainTimes. Surprised that they are doing testing in the current pandemic situation, but I suppose if the staff are available then they might as well take the opportunity.

Skie

1X03 and 1X04 were showing up at Kirkby at 1am. Wonder if the rescue unit came out to play?

Scouse77

On Moderation
1X03 is the journey to Kirkby, 1X04 is the return. It happens on service trains.

Vespa

Established Member
Obviously picking the small hours to have a practice run.
Not many photos of them doing runs so far.

Scouse77

On Moderation
Yes, I think it made five return journeys from the crossover at Walton Junction and around to Kirkby

paddyb6

I live near the Chester/EPort line and see the units alot, they do look like they have virtually ALL been cleaned very thoroughly, even including the bogies. So they may have had an exam recently.

Skie

Could the new Stadler wash plant be the reason units look cleaner? They were positively minging whilst the plant was being rebuilt and then a week or so before lockdown a few looked almost new. I’d presume the new wash plant is much more effective than the old one.

MR-507508

Could the new Stadler wash plant be the reason units look cleaner? They were positively minging whilst the plant was being rebuilt and then a week or so before lockdown a few looked almost new. I’d presume the new wash plant is much more effective than the old one.
I agree, the units are looking good at the moment.
The end of 2019 was bad. The new wash plant was broken (or not working correctly) and units, externally, were in a bad state. This was especially true for units on the Chester/Ellesmere Port line. With the winter timetable in operation on these lines, some units often go a number of weeks without ever visiting Kirkdale depot for a wash.
I remember 507032 on the Chester line in November and passengers on the platform were astonished by the amount of dirt on the outside of the train. That not helped by the fact people had started to write in the dirt-things such as "clean me".
Thankfully, they are looking much cleaner at the moment.

MR-507508

It looks like another 777 is being taken from Dollands Moor to Kirkdale on Wednesday 22nd.
Please see my post (#598) on this. There are a number of planned movements of this type over the coming months on RTT and some have already passed.
With the current situation in place, most of these will be unlikely to happen- at least the movements planned over the next few weeks and months.

DBS92042

Established Member
Please see my post (#598) on this. There are a number of planned movements of this type over the coming months on RTT and some have already passed.
With the current situation in place, most of these will be unlikely to happen- at least the movements planned over the next few weeks and months.
Sorry, I'd missed that post and I hadn't seen any of those paths on RTT except the last one which ran.

Skie

The project director has said they are trying their damnedest to get units over despite the current crisis. In theory it could be easier than it was for 003, as that had a French strike and so an entire country to skirt. With rail traffic vastly reduced and lots of staff now sitting spare they may have a chance of threading the needle.