• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

shakey1961

Am I missing something, but if you route via Runcorn to Edge Hill there is no other way to get to Edge Hill than through Liverpool South Parkway? Even if you reverse it and go through Allerton Depot?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

palmersears

Established Member
Am I missing something, but if you route via Runcorn to Edge Hill there is no other way to get to Edge Hill than through Liverpool South Parkway? Even if you reverse it and go through Allerton Depot?
Correct. To get from Runcorn to Edge Hill you have to go through South Parkway in some fashion.

1D54

Hi.
I'm on Merseyside next Saturday and just wondering if there is any point in heading to Kirkdale to catch up with one of these. Thanks in advance.

MR-507508

Hi.
I'm on Merseyside next Saturday and just wondering if there is any point in heading to Kirkdale to catch up with one of these. Thanks in advance.
There is probably a chance you could catch a glimpse of one at Kirkdale depot. Three have been delivered so far and as far as I am aware, only two units at a time can fit into the new maintenance shed. Most likely the first unit to arrive (777003) would be stored outside of the shed, but probably towards the back of the depot in the sidings.

MR-507508

Is another 777 due for delivery this Wednesday, what unit(s) would this be?

I am surprised considering Kirkdale depot is suppose to become the home for the maintenance of the new 777 fleet that the new maintenance shed at kirkdale depot can only accommodate two 777 units at any one time.
I think the maintenance shed at Birkenhead North depot can accommodate up to eight 507/508 units.
I suppose they could build another shed at Kirkdale in the future as the 777 fleet age and/or if the number of 777 units ordered increases.

shakey1961

Looks like a 777 is on its way out for testing again this evening. 5T01 at Sandhills at 21:28 heading towards Moorfields

M28361M

Route set at Liverpool Central onto the Stock Interchange Line... venturing onto the Wirral for the first time?

Steelwheels

Now running out to Birkenhead North.......And looks to be stabled at Birkenhead North depot tonight.

Last edited:

paddyb6

So far tonight it has done Kirkdale > Liverpool > Ellesmere Port > Birkenhead Central > Ellesmere Port > Loop > Birkenhead North. Turned Back at BKN

Geeves

Established Member
Just watched it go round the loop from Birkenhead N now heading south through Rock Ferry again. Good to see no issues round the loop and the age old rumours of trains being to big for the tunnels can be put to bed... Again.

Vespa

Established Member
That's good news, loop tunnels is probably the most critical part of the testing, it's difficult to widen the tunnel otherwise, platforms can be trimmed back if needed but tunnels.....

------------
I remember reading how the French got it wrong and brought trains too wide for the platforms, they spent milions trimming back the platforms.
That was a massive clanger dropped by the French Railways.

KevinTurvey

Good that it fits through the tunnels, although haven't most of the platform edges now been altered to suit the new trains anyway?
If there was any trimming back required it wont be the first time in the north west - first for the 175s and then for the 319s.

TRAX

Established Member
I remember reading how the French got it wrong and brought trains too wide for the platforms, they spent milions trimming back the platforms.
That was a massive clanger dropped by the French Railways.

oh not that story again. It was a big hoax that was created and taken up by the poor-quality media (pleonasm ?) of France which never misses an opportunity to bash SNCF (for the french media, « SNCF orders wider trains » gets automatically transformed, by a clever use of wording designed to be negative towards SNCF, which everyone loves to hate, into « SNCF orders trains that are too wide »). The new trains were ordered with the extra width in mind and perfectly deliberate. It was planned to trim the platforms to accommodate wider rolling stock even before the first new trains were built. Let’s hope I don’t have to debunk that story again any time soon...

D365

Veteran Member
oh not that story again. It was a big hoax that was created and taken up by the poor-quality media (pleonasm ?) of France which never misses an opportunity to bash SNCF (for the french media, « SNCF orders wider trains » gets automatically transformed, by a clever use of wording designed to be negative towards SNCF, which everyone loves to hate, into « SNCF orders trains that are too wide »). The new trains were ordered with the extra width in mind and perfectly deliberate. It was planned to trim the platforms to accommodate wider rolling stock even before the first new trains were built. Let’s hope I don’t have to debunk that story again any time soon...

Thanks for the clarity on that story.

DBS92042

Established Member
I've just noticed 66702 is on its way to Dollands Moor this evening. Does this mean another 777 is ready to be taken up north in the morning?

Pacef8

Hi if a train arrives in the early morning such as this one @crew do the drivers have somewhere where they can rest and sleep ?

M28361M

There were more test runs in the early hours of Tuesday morning on the Kirkby line. Reported on “Mersey Railways” Facebook group that it was 004 that was out (I think for the first time?). It had to return early to the depot due to a fault but will apparently be out again tonight (i.e. Wednesday morning) on the Southport line.

66702 appears to be allocated to the 6S94 china clay now, I wonder if the 6M29 is still happening (if it ever was)?

For previous moves we have had a sighting or two of the unit travelling across Europe before reaching Dollands Moor. Not seen any reports this week, but that is not 100% conclusive, of course.

MR-507508

There were more test runs in the early hours of Tuesday morning on the Kirkby line. Reported on “Mersey Railways” Facebook group that it was 004 that was out (I think for the first time?). It had to return early to the depot due to a fault but will apparently be out again tonight (i.e. Wednesday morning) on the Southport line.

Have they tested an 8 car formation yet?
How much additional testing does the first unit to be tested (003) need to undergo compared to the rest of the units which have and will be delivered over the coming year?

Jamesrob637

Established Member
It hasn't left Kent yet and was meant to at quarter to three this morning...:s