• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

Pacef8

From what i have read here its uneconomical to spend money on extending its service life due to h/s . Plus its reached or nearly reached its total mileage. Get shut and use the space for something else.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

L401CJF

Established Member
They will be the tfw units that go on the depot every Friday and Saturday. The 508s to go first dont leave for another two weeks and familiarisation isnt necessary as the move has been done plenty of times
The run the other day was ROG 57312/37884, they ran to North and coupled to a 507/8 for driver familiarisation then headed back to Leicester. A friend of mine snapped pics of the pair in North Wales

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
They will be the tfw units that go on the depot every Friday and Saturday. The 508s to go first dont leave for another two weeks and familiarisation isnt necessary as the move has been done plenty of times

What TfW units would they be then?
Are we talking the 150s that usually work on the Borders line?
Or the new Vivarail 230s?

Vespa

Established Member
They're coming in quick and fast.
I went to the depot at Kirkland and saw some depot movements, all 5 on site.

Vespa

Established Member
How many have the new units have accumulated so far and had any hardware or software issues been raised ?

Liverpool 507

Ah very good! Any lines in particular? I would have thought they’ll keep the test unit(s) close to Kirkdale on the Kirkby or Ormskirk line.

Liverpool 507

They have to test the full network to satisfy Network rail. Starting with Northern line I believe , Huntscross first then Aintree from Sunday evening

Very interesting! Thank you for that!

I take it that it will be some weeks before they venture up to Southport on daytime/evening test runs?

DJH1971

Established Member
Yes they are being scrapped, however some 507s will be retained for a couple of years while they lengthen the platforms on the Southport lines. The first two units go next week and all are being scrapped at Newport. Angel are keeping the original name plates fitted to the 508s so you might be able to contact them and buy one.
So that basically means the 777's will not be working on the Southport routes for the time being once in service?