• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

londonteacher

Seem to be a few units stored in Warrington BQ sidings, 004, 006 that I thought were already on Merseyrail metals. From other posts 005 and 007 are also there.
Could they have been moved because of lack of storage space?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Vespa

Established Member
There's few spaces remaining at Kirkdale, even overnight stabling at terminus has its limitations with few sidings to utilise.

You have the problem of 507/8 still in operation, not enough staff trained on the 777 so not many 777 can be driven out for mileage accumulation before entry to service, they're building the 777 too quickly for the 507/8 to be rotated out as new trains comes in, the pandemic has disrupted the whole scheme.

Energy

Established Member
There's few spaces remaining at Kirkdale, even overnight stabling at terminus has its limitations with few sidings to utilise.

You have the problem of 507/8 still in operation, not enough staff trained on the 777 so not many 777 can be driven out for mileage accumulation before entry to service, they're building the 777 too quickly for the 507/8 to be rotated out as new trains comes in, the pandemic has disrupted the whole scheme.
Presumably with lockdown they could get more of them cycled out of the depot as less 507/8s are required due to 6 car trains not being needed with significantly less people. They would have just had to hope they could get most people trained before demand comes back.

Skie

Presumably with lockdown they could get more of them cycled out of the depot as less 507/8s are required due to 6 car trains not being needed with significantly less people. They would have just had to hope they could get most people trained before demand comes back.
They’re running almost entirely as 6 cars to enable social distancing.

None of the new units have been accepted yet, testing is still ongoing though it’s reaching the latter stages now thankfully. Some stages were made much harder by travel restrictions and social distancing rules.

Vespa

Established Member
They’re running almost entirely as 6 cars to enable social distancing.

None of the new units have been accepted yet, testing is still ongoing though it’s reaching the latter stages now thankfully. Some stages were made much harder by travel restrictions and social distancing rules.

How many miles left to accumulate before acceptance ?

Chris217

Stored at Walton Yard I think.
Ones that have been to Crewe for upgrades if I'm not mistaken?

Is there any capacity on the Merseyrail network to take on more 777s atm?

Liverpool 507

Stored at Walton Yard I think.
Ones that have been to Crewe for upgrades if I'm not mistaken?

Is there any capacity on the Merseyrail network to take on more 777s atm?
The ones at Crewe which were originally sent for mods weren’t touched. Stadler have decided to do the mods themselves.

The main priority at the moment is storing the units at Walton Old Jn and making sure storage at Kirkdale doesn’t become an issue.

Chris217

The ones at Crewe which were originally sent for mods weren’t touched. Stadler have decided to do the mods themselves.

The main priority at the moment is storing the units at Walton Old Jn and making sure storage at Kirkdale doesn’t become an issue.
Thanks mate

Chorley Cake

Does anybody have a list of units stored at Warrington ? Are they visible from the road (Slutchers Lane) ?

Ribbleman

Reported elsewhere that 003, 004, 005, 006, 007 and 009 are in Warrington. I've no idea about whether they can be viewed.

Roger B

Reported elsewhere that 003, 004, 005, 006, 007 and 009 are in Warrington. I've no idea about whether they can be viewed.
If they're in Walton sidings, they (or at least the tops of them) would be visible on the LHS on any* train (travel restrictions apply) leaving WBQ - the WCML is quite a bit higher than Walton sidings, so you get a decent view across the sidings. *Exceptions being any TfW services routed via Walton Jn, in which cased they'd be on the RHS - not sure whether any are going this way during the reduced timetable.

Ribbleman

Looks like another 777 is on it's way to the UK.

Any ideas which one this may be?

PHOTOS: Liverpool's new Merseyrail trains leave the Stadler Factory in Switzerland (railadvent.co.uk)
If there is just the one set it may be 002 as I understand that it has now been completed after the testing carried out just after it was first built. However, there are several others ready, both in Switzerland and in Poland. Following the approval of funds to extend the Kirkby line to Headbolt Lane an additional set has been ordered, taking the total to 53.

Skie

There are a number of test trains booked to run in the early hours

Those two are listed as 777 EMU too

Clip

Established Member
Sorry to be a pain but i dont fancy trawling so many pages of this thread to find this out - but when are they due for service? Could have a little day trip out when they are , if we are allowed out for leisure that is

L401CJF

Established Member
Sorry to be a pain but i dont fancy trawling so many pages of this thread to find this out - but when are they due for service? Could have a little day trip out when they are , if we are allowed out for leisure that is
Nobody seems to know yet, it's all dependent on when staff training can kick off properly as far as I know.

Not sure if they're still in dispute over the guards roll or not too.

jamesst

No scheduled date.
Still no agreement to train new drivers on them. The guards dispute has yet to be settled. And that's before covid!!

Ribbleman

You have some time to wait before your first opportunity to travel on a 777. Covid has played havoc with the extensive testing programme required for what is for Stadler a totally new design of train. For some time now there should have been more than a dozen Swiss based Stadler technicians at Kirkdale Depot. Travel and quarantine restrictions resulted in there being only two there last week. Testing is continuing but it could be several weeks yet before the first unit is handed over to Merseyrail. At that point, ORR approval will be required before instructor training can start. Once several sets are passed for use and sufficient drivers are trained, the Kirkby line will be the first to see the new sets in traffic. So, lightly pencil your day trip in for early to mid summer, assuming outstanding staffing issues are resolved.

Last edited:

Clip

Established Member
Nobody seems to know yet, it's all dependent on when staff training can kick off properly as far as I know.

Not sure if they're still in dispute over the guards roll or not too.

No scheduled date.
Still no agreement to train new drivers on them. The guards dispute has yet to be settled. And that's before covid!!

You have some time to wait before your first opportunity to travel on a 777. Covid has played havoc with the extensive testing programme required for what is for Stadler a totally new design of train. For some time now there should have been more than a dozen Swiss based Stadler technicians at Kirkdale Depot. Travel and quarantine restrictions resulted in there being only two there last week. Testing is continuing but it could be several weeks yet before the first unit is handed over to Merseyrail. At that point, ORR approval will be required before instructor training can start. Once several sets are passed for use and sufficient drivers are trained, the Kirkby line will be the first to see the new sets in traffic. So, lightly pencil your day trip in for early to mid summer, assuming outstanding staffing issues are resolved.
Thanks for the info - quite a while yet then :)

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Think it's safe to say that Merseysiders won't enjoy rail air-conditioning this summer meaning the roads could be very busy if it's hot.

Skie

Eh? People have used the existing units for the last 40 years in hot weather. You just, you know, open all the windows.
And then slam them shut when entering the cool underground tunnels because it’s too loud for their chunnering.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
And then slam them shut when entering the cool underground tunnels because it’s too loud for their chunnering.

:)

But regardless of what they do, it'll be the same thing they've done for the last 40 years (or longer, given that no stock has had aircon on the lines since they were built) - people won't suddenly start driving just because the 777s are a bit late.

Geeves

Established Member
Is there a problem with the air conditioning on the new units? From the photos it looks as though there are no opening windows on the 777s