• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MattRat

On Moderation
I wouldn’t say the 777’s are too far away now :)
Here's hoping. I just thought it was a funny joke. It doesn't help though that we have no timetable. I don't think they've even said 'sometime in 2021'. It would pretty disappointing if another year slipped by without them.

Roger B

Here's hoping. I just thought it was a funny joke. It doesn't help though that we have no timetable. I don't think they've even said 'sometime in 2021'. It would pretty disappointing if another year slipped by without them.
Reckon Merseyrail would feel the same way - can't think why wouldn't they be trying to get them in service asap?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Reckon Merseyrail would feel the same way - can't think why wouldn't they be trying to get them in service asap?

They clearly are, they have just had a load of obstacles in the way. If I were them I wouldn't give any indication of a date, it has no conceivable benefit to them to do that, and would only be to their disadvantage if they couldn't meet it.

MattRat

On Moderation
They clearly are, they have just had a load of obstacles in the way. If I were them I wouldn't give any indication of a date, it has no conceivable benefit to them to do that, and would only be to their disadvantage if they couldn't meet it.
Even something as simple as 'sometime during 2021'?

Ribbleman

I agree. The testing programme of a new, bespoke design has been severely disrupted by Covid. A couple of months ago I was part of an online meeting with the man in charge of the whole project. He told us that instead of having 14 Swiss based technicians working on the test programme at Kirkdale, quarantine and other restrictions had reduced the number to just 2. The units are all still Stadler’s property and you can be sure that they will be working as fast as they can in difficult circumstances to complete the testing and have the first units accepted by the ORR and Merseytravel. Only then can instructor and later, crew training begin, so putting forward a date for service entry would be pointless.

MattRat

On Moderation
It doesn't matter. It'll take as long as it takes. Nobody really dislikes 507/508s, they are good solid workhorses with comfortable seating.
I didn't say I didn't like the current stock. I just think Liverpool really needs to start joining the 21st century.

themiller

Having been in commissioning for many years, you can write a programme and put dates in for each stage until completion but it will take as long as it takes. Anyone who says different is naive.

MattRat

On Moderation
Having been in commissioning for many years, you can write a programme and put dates in for each stage until completion but it will take as long as it takes. Anyone who says different is naive.
That's a thought. They could post the stage it's at, then post the other stages needed, and update when a stage was completed. That way people at least feel like there is progress, instead of being left in the dark.

Established Member
That's a thought. They could post the stage it's at, then post the other stages needed, and update when a stage was completed. That way people at least feel like there is progress, instead of being left in the dark.
They do have a page with some arbitrary attempt at stages https://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/train/new-trains/ but it doesn’t seem to get updated often enough. The man in charge of the whole project is good at answering questions on Twitter if you ask him.

Established Member
I'd rather not have to resort to *shudders* Twitter. I'd rather they actually update the site.
Yes obviously but when it’s the actual man it doesn’t matter what platform he’s using he knows what he’s talking about. Isn’t being able to ask your own questions better than just being told what the site says?

MattRat

On Moderation
Yes obviously but when it’s the actual man it doesn’t matter what platform he’s using he knows what he’s talking about. Isn’t being able to ask your own questions better than just being told what the site says?
It would be, of it wasn't twitter. Call me crazy, but I hate twitter.

Established Member
I hate Twitter. The only reason I use it is to find out information about the 777s. It was useful to see pictures of the derailment at Kirkby and the station collapse at Northwich this year also.

MattRat

On Moderation
I hate Twitter. The only reason I use it is to find out information about the 777s. It was useful to see pictures of the derailment at Kirkby and the station collapse at Northwich this year also.
So you somewhat understand my point? I guess I'm shooting myself in the foot, but I hope never to use twitter, no matter what.

XAM2175

Established Member
So you somewhat understand my point? I guess I'm shooting myself in the foot, but I hope never to use twitter, no matter what.
If you're so invested in getting an answer and you've not yet found satisfaction, why not send them an e-mail, or a letter?

MattRat

On Moderation
If you're so invested in getting an answer and you've not yet found satisfaction, why not send them an e-mail, or a letter?
Apologies if I've come across as impatient. It's not that I necessarily need an answer, I'd just prefer things to be done a certain way, which I know they likely won't, but one can dream.....

Skie

This months Modern Railways has a feature on the 777’s so you can satisfy your ludddite urges with a few pages of dead tree ;)

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member

I used to love Twitter, but I stopped using it (save for sharing photos with a couple of people) last summer. Good heavens, that's almost a year ago! I don't remember exactly why I got fed up of it, but I do have a lot more time to do things of interest now.

I also banished Facebook and Instagram from my daily use some months ago, one of the best things I've ever done. So I get where you're coming from, I shouldn't need to go to social media to get the information I might need on something. Fine if they're keeping people genned up, that's good, but if they can't be bothered to post an update on their website's specific page for it that's just weird. It doesn't have to be often, but a regular update would be nice, a once a month sort of thing.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The thing is, you don't* need information on when 777s will enter traffic. As you are an enthusiast you might want that information, but you don't need it, because the train service is operating using 507/508s.

Thus, they have no obligation to provide it, and as I've outlined they could only be disadvantaged if they did, e.g. they say by Dec 2021 and it's actually Feb 2022 they look stupid unnecessarily.

* One possible exception - you are a wheelchair user and want to know when you'll be able to start travelling unassisted due to the level boarding - but that's the only exception, and is rather dependent on when the whole fleet is in service, not just a couple of units for you to try out. But to be honest "from today" on the day the last 507/508 leaves service is pretty much as useful as "you'll need to wait 8 months", because people don't plan journeys involving only Merseyrail way in advance, generally, and once another TOC is involved you'll need to book assistance as before.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Yes, to be fair, need was the wrong word. Want was the one. I was more discussing this involved person on the project, it was suggested that perhaps there's some useful/interesting information being shared on Twitter but not their website.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes, to be fair, need was the wrong word. Want was the one. I was more discussing this involved person on the project, it was suggested that perhaps there's some useful/interesting information being shared on Twitter but not their website.

Fair enough, that was more aimed at the other poster who seemed to be speaking as if they were in the wrong for not publicising an introduction date.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Fair enough, that was more aimed at the other poster who seemed to be speaking as if they were in the wrong for not publicising an introduction date.

I see where they're coming from, as I would like to plan a trip to do a proper farewell to the 507s and 508s. I've already done so twice, in case it was my last chance to go, but I will happily do it again. Now I can stay overnight again, it is a much more feasible trip and I can do it properly rather than squeeze everything into a 5 hour window. I have no plans to do an overnight trip until my second vaccine has been had though, just not quite comfortable with it yet, so the longer it takes to get the 777s ready the better really!

Even so, I'm happy to wait for an expected date when it's ready. I'm also keen to have the 196s enter service, it's been a long wait, although I understand they're having lots of non-pandemic issues.

End of the day, we've waited this long, we can wait some more :) It's saving me money, so I can't complain!