• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jamesst

You can easily reverse trains in the single bore at the Hunts Cross end of Liverpool Central, it's done on many occasions and indeed has even been done with 9cars when taking a dead unit over to one of the depots.

paddyb6

No news from Merseyrail or Stadler regarding 777s for a while - anyone know whats going on at the moment and when one will make an appearance?
Thanks

Polarbear

Established Member
No news from Merseyrail or Stadler regarding 777s for a while - anyone know whats going on at the moment and when one will make an appearance?
Thanks

My understanding is that the first unit was due to be delivered to Merseyside in June this year. I seem to remember reading something recently that the first unit was in the final assembly stage, which suggests they may be behind schedule with the build.

Skie

My understanding is that the first unit was due to be delivered to Merseyside in June this year. I seem to remember reading something recently that the first unit was in the final assembly stage, which suggests they may be behind schedule with the build.

The plan changed so the first units are to go to Wildenrath in Germany. If all goes well gauge testing will happen in the Autumn.

OL-3944

The simulator suite (building) was completed and handed over almost 2 months ago. Not a single driver has been on the machine, make of that what you will.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Having been on some of the network yesterday, the 777s are badly needed. Will we see many if any in service by this time next year?

Geeves

Established Member
The simulator suite (building) was completed and handed over almost 2 months ago. Not a single driver has been on the machine, make of that what you will.

I am just presuming here, that simulator training would be done along side driver training of the real thing, which is obviously hard with no trains.

Also if it counts towards any kind of competency this has an expiry date of around 6 months usually if its not used.

jamesst

I am just presuming here, that simulator training would be done along side driver training of the real thing, which is obviously hard with no trains.

Also if it counts towards any kind of competency this has an expiry date of around 6 months usually if its not used.

Aslef have yet to even discuss training let alone driving any of the new trains, there's a long long way to go yet

OL-3944

As a Liverpool resident (who's paying for theses trains) they look absolutely basic and bland. If you told me this was a picture from inside a Bus I would believe you, as that what it looks like!

The seats look like there made out of wood and everything else looks too flimsy.

jamesst

I'm afraid heads are in the clouds if anyone expects one of these turning a wheel in passenger service anytime soon

paddyb6

The first 2 units (001/002) will go to Wildenrath by November - with 003 arriving in Liverpool in November - the first units could be in service as early as February.

Camden

Established Member
Hopefully the head rests won't be, otherwise I can imagine what well ending up happening to them.

My recollection is that first unit was to appear this year, with the roll out compete by end of 2020.

How is it the Anglian flirts seem to have been delivered faster, despite being ordered later?

hwl

Established Member
Hopefully the head rests won't be, otherwise I can imagine what well ending up happening to them.

My recollection is that first unit was to appear this year, with the roll out compete by end of 2020.

How is it the Anglian flirts seem to have been delivered faster, despite being ordered later?
The Anglia units were ordered (contract signed) 5 months before the Merseyrail ones and Abellio/Rosco were in talks for 18months before that with Stadler (not a public procurement competition like Merseyrail)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

They were pretty robust on the mock-up, they were just uncomfortable for anyone taller than about 5' who ended up with them pressing into the backs of their shoulders rather than being anywhere near their head. A bit like modern car "integrated" ones when you forget to pull them up when using the seat as you are meant to.

Do Stadler perhaps not offer "ironing boards"? I'm surprised at the new design of seat rather than one of the standard ones.

jamesst

The first 2 units (001/002) will go to Wildenrath by November - with 003 arriving in Liverpool in November - the first units could be in service as early as February.

Theres yet to be even one word discussed with Aslef over drivers training on the new stock let alone driving it. Plus multiple issues with signalling and ongoing platform issues in a network that just isn't suited for 4/8 car units.
I'm afraid there seems to be a big case of heads buried in the sand over when these units will actually start running.

Camden

Established Member
Given the position of the end doors, is it not possible to simply have the front of the train in the right place with the rear of the train trailing out the platform? That would still have the rear doors on the platform. If the problem is then the section behind not clearing in order for the train to head back the way it came then end the practice and send everything 8 carriages through. Kirkby will always be four carriages for as long as the line remains incomplete, and as for the other two I doubt people in south Liverpool will complain about getting 8 trains an hour.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Theres yet to be even one word discussed with Aslef over drivers training on the new stock let alone driving it. Plus multiple issues with signalling and ongoing platform issues in a network that just isn't suited for 4/8 car units.

Remember they are short vehicles and so aren't much longer than 3/6 car 50x.

jamesst

But just that little bit longer sufficient to cause problems at few locations (which JamesSt is referring to)

Yep, Southport, Ormskirk and West Kirby (which all see regular 6 cars) being a particular problem.
There also seems to be a belief that once the guards are sorted the drivers will be straightforward,I can only see a massive shock coming.

Skie

Few updates on the new units.

Merseytravel update "the basic structure of the first train is now complete" with relatively no new info and an odd choice of picture considering where the build stage is up to (see next line): https://www.liverpoolcityregion-ca.gov.uk/new-trains-for-the-merseyrail-network-begin-to-take-shape/

David Powell, programme director for the new fleet tweeted an interior picture of one of the nearly complete trains (hence why the 5th September update from Merseytravel is so strange): https://twitter.com/DavidPo22194359/status/1162032316744687616

Radwin, the manufacturer of the train to ground data network (for in-tunnel Wi-Fi and CCTV) , have also posted 8 pictures from their installation visit to Stadler. https://twitter.com/radwin/status/1167000730101850112