• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

LPJOHN

Hopefully, this picture is better than my previous upload. I was on the 17:04 from Ormskirk and I noticed a train (508 or 507) moving in the Kirkdale and I then noticed 777 I think it was attached to the other train.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
As do the guards currently, but it's not stopping them from leaving up to 5 minutes early at intermediate stops.

I've not seen that early, but perhaps it's a training issue, then, and they simply aren't checking their diagram. This sort of laziness isn't unusual on local services.

paddyb6

When the Chester and Ellesmere Port Autumn/Leaf Fall timetable is used the times are ridiculous!
Leaving stations between Bromborough and Bebington up to 5 Early,
then sitting at Rock Ferry and Birkenhead Central for 5 mins!

M28361M

Picture was posted this morning to the non-public “Mersey Railways” group on Facebook, showing 003 outside the shed at Kirkdale overnight, fully powered up with saloon lights on.

Not yet left the confines of the depot but can’t be long now.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
When the Chester and Ellesmere Port Autumn/Leaf Fall timetable is used the times are ridiculous!
Leaving stations between Bromborough and Bebington up to 5 Early,
then sitting at Rock Ferry and Birkenhead Central for 5 mins!

Yes but that's what the revised timetable says.
They are early on the normal timetable, but on-time on the leaf-fall timetable.
It's so they have longer turn-round times at places like Chester, but still show up at Hamilton Square at the right time for the loop.

Neil Polo

When trains have to reverse in order to change lines, is it necessary to do it in a station? Could the train not stop just short of the points and reverse from there? The driver and guard can change ends inside the train, can’t they?

Eccles1983

On Moderation
When trains have to reverse in order to change lines, is it necessary to do it in a station? Could the train not stop just short of the points and reverse from there? The driver and guard can change ends inside the train, can’t they?

No.

You cannot proceed with a train in passenger service on the authority of a position light.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
As do the guards currently, but it's not stopping them from leaving up to 5 minutes early at intermediate stops.

They need to be disciplined if they're doing that. EVERY SINGLE PLATFORM has a clock on it now on the PIS, and all staff have watches too. Early running is sloppy, lazy and inexcusable.

James James

That is a beautiful thing. Interesting though that unlike the GA FLIRTs it has "Desiro window disease", i.e. there are barely two the same size, which must be a nightmare for the spares department.
Looks like a total of 2 different sizes of window to me: 1 short and 1 long. Maybe there are 2 variants of the short window due to PIS in some of them, but it looks like PIS is mounted internally and separate from the window, so I would suspect there's just one variant.

Surprisingly, they don't seem to have the short-windows with hopper anymore (which are visible on the original diagrams: https://www.stadlerrail.com/media/pdf/mmer1216d.pdf )

samrammstein

There's currently a "1X01" on the Kirkby branch having left Kirkdale depot at about 0110. According to the Mersey Railways Facebook group this should be 777003 out on test of the first time.

MR-507508

There's currently a "1X01" on the Kirkby branch having left Kirkdale depot at about 0110. According to the Mersey Railways Facebook group this should be 777003 out on test of the first time.
Do you think it is running under its own power or assisted by one of the 507/508's?

samrammstein

Do you think it is running under its own power or assisted by one of the 507/508's?

I would assume she's under her own power. They must be happy enough to send her out of the depot and there's not much to gain from just dragging her around is there? There will definitely be a 507 or two on standby though!

MR-507508

I would assume she's under her own power. They must be happy enough to send her out of the depot and there's not much to gain from just dragging her around is there? There will definitely be a 507 or two on standby though!
Is there a path showing for the movement of 1X01. I can't see anything on RTT?
I wonder if they are using this test run to also test the sliding step technology with the platform edge (must be a tense few moments when it does happen to check it meets with the platform as it should)?

samrammstein

I've just seen a video and it is just the 777 working alone.

There's nothing on RTT, I believe the test runs are being conducted in a Signalling Protected Zone (SPZ) possession, similar to what the new TPE trains had when testing on the WCML, so the need for traditional schedules don't seem to apply.

Yes I imagine they'll be testing a variety of things, hopefully they got their measurements right in terms of gauging, or it will be buses on the Kirkby line tomorrow!

MR-507508

Any ideas when 777003 will next be out on test runs?
My understanding was that it would be testing on the Kirkby line every night/early morning (Monday to Thursday or Friday).

Pyreneenguy

samrammstein

Any ideas when 777003 will next be out on test runs?
My understanding was that it would be testing on the Kirkby line every night/early morning (Monday to Thursday or Friday).

I don't personally have any info - I also read that they were going to be out every night this week but I'm not sure if that has actually happened.

With everything that's going on at the moment I wouldn't be surprised if the production of the 777s was affected and therefore the introduction into service may be further away than expected.

shakey1961

What's the thinking regarding deployment of the new rolling stock with the Coronavirus and lockdown? Will it give the opportunity for increased testing due to reduced passenger numbers or will it be curtailed due to social distancing and isolation? Also, will it delay production of the rest of the fleet?

Curious.

jamesst

What's the thinking regarding deployment of the new rolling stock with the Coronavirus and lockdown? Will it give the opportunity for increased testing due to reduced passenger numbers or will it be curtailed due to social distancing and isolation? Also, will it delay production of the rest of the fleet?

Curious.

Theres barely any staff to run the existing service (which will be reduced again imminently) let alone even consider training I'm afraid.
In addition any kind of training or non essential assessments are cancelled until further notice, I cant see anything other than a heavy delay to the new stock running.

MR-507508

Was having a look on Real Time Trains yesterday and noticed there are paths booked ("runs as required") from Dollands Moor Sidings to Kirkdale depot.
A few dates scattered throughout April and May and then a continuous schedule from mid June onwards.

Obviously with the current situation, some of these a likely not to happen, especially the dates in April and May.
However it does give an indication as to the plan and mode for the other 777's to arrive onto the Merseyrail network.

Vespa

Established Member
Interesting, how many 777s is completed to date.
I know of two so far. 777001 777003