• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

shakey1961

Is anyone going to Oriel Road to see it arrive? I'm hoping to be there. Don't want to go if there's some sort of ban with social distancing etc.

Skie

Don't understand why 777001 and 777002 have not yet arrived here.

Has been mentioned a few times.

001 went to the test track without the tunnel egress door fitted, as they were awaiting the parts but having it fitted wasnt required for the early testing.
002 was the first to be given the tunnel egress door, and was sent to the test track to replace 001 (not sure if they did multiple running or just straight swapped)
001 headed back to the factory to be given the door.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I saw it through Acton Bridge. Nice looking but boy they'd better double up on peak services in 2021! Either that or a 2-minute frequency :D

urbophile

Established Member
Why do they have those long flat trucks between the locomotive and the new train? Social distancing?

Murray J

Why do they have those long flat trucks between the locomotive and the new train? Social distancing?
no idea, but not social distancing as they were on the first move back in January, my guess is either to act as barrier wagons (I don't recognise the wagons so I would suggest they probably have new couplings installed) or to protect the train from damage.

Domh245

Established Member
Barrier wagons and Brake force. The units are dragged completely dead with brakes isolated, so those wagons are needed to give the train enough brake force to stop safely. You can even see how they get the brake pipe to run through the 777 without using it's own pipes - lots of tape and a slightly opened cabside window!

Chris217

Barrier wagons and Brake force. The units are dragged completely dead with brakes isolated, so those wagons are needed to give the train enough brake force to stop safely. You can even see how they get the brake pipe to run through the 777 without using it's own pipes - lots of tape and a slightly opened cabside window!

Yeh,I noticed all the tapework lol.

DJH1971

Established Member
They are noted on Wikipedia as being dual voltage, but do they have a pantograph fitted?

Not quite made anything out in the pictures.

Energy

Established Member
They are noted on Wikipedia as being dual voltage, but do they have a pantograph fitted?

Not quite made anything out in the pictures.
I believe it is currently 750v 3rd rail + option for batteries. However there will have to be an area for a pantograph to be fitted as all new build UK EMUs are required to be able to be easily converted to use a pantograph.

shakey1961

Thank you to M28361M for the post which I had notified by email. I'd just gone to bed, so it's lucky I checked. Only live half a mile from Birkdale station so I was there in good time.

777 003 I caught it passing through Birkdale Station about 22:20. Very quiet! First one I've seen out in anger!

shakey1961

According to the route that's been set on Traksy - it's on its way back to Southport. Are they going to be running this up and down all night?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I believe it is currently 750v 3rd rail + option for batteries. However there will have to be an area for a pantograph to be fitted as all new build UK EMUs are required to be able to be easily converted to use a pantograph.

It doesn't appear to have a pantograph well. Maybe an exception because they are very unlikely to be used elsewhere?

Energy

Established Member
It doesn't appear to have a pantograph well. Maybe an exception because they are very unlikely to be used elsewhere?
This image from wikipedia shows a pantograph at the end of the left driving vehicle, not sure if the image is totally accurate but from the looks of it the pantograph isn't easy to see when it isn't up, (it will have probably been fitted to a couple vehicles to test)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
This image from wikipedia shows a pantograph at the end of the left driving vehicle, not sure if the image is totally accurate but from the looks of it the pantograph isn't easy to see when it isn't up, (it will have probably been fitted to a couple vehicles to test)

Interesting. I wonder if the roof is lower than normal stock, thus removing the need for a well (as 50x are lower than the Mk3 based EMUs)? If so, I'd imagine it couldn't run through the tunnels with one attached without whacking it?

Energy

Established Member
Interesting. I wonder if the roof is lower than normal stock, thus removing the need for a well (as 50x are lower than the Mk3 based EMUs)? If so, I'd imagine it couldn't run through the tunnels with one attached without whacking it?
Maybe, Stadler will put more equipment on the roof than others due to their low floor design giving less space underneath, the extra equipment may make it harder to see the pantograph.

Liverpool 507

Those ’Pantograph’ areas on the roof of the unit are currently covered with panelling which I’m sure can easily be removed if there are any future developments on the Merseyrail network.

Energy

Established Member
Those ’Pantograph’ areas on the roof of the unit are currently covered with panelling which I’m sure can easily be removed if there are any future developments on the Merseyrail network.
Makes sense, makes it easier to clean the units I guess.

Vespa

Established Member
Tri mode would expand the flexibility of this class.
3rd rail, battery and pantograph.

Energy

Established Member
Umm it can do all of these? Batteries being able to be fitted was a requirement.

Skie

It can’t do all 3 at the same time. All units have some batteries for depot moves, but for mainline running the extra batteries go in the same space that the rectifiers for 25kv would go.

So they can do:
  • 3rd rail (as delivered)
  • 3rd rail + mainline batteries
  • 3rd rail + 25kv overhead