• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

Energy

Established Member
It can’t do all 3 at the same time. All units have some batteries for depot moves, but for mainline running the extra batteries go in the same space that the rectifiers for 25kv would go.

So they can do:
  • 3rd rail (as delivered)
  • 3rd rail + mainline batteries
  • 3rd rail + 25kv overhead
Is there a need though for all 3 at the same time?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

td97

Established Member
I believe it is currently 750v 3rd rail + option for batteries.
Tri mode would expand the flexibility of this class.
3rd rail, battery and pantograph.
All units have some batteries for depot moves, but for mainline running the extra batteries go in the same space that the rectifiers for 25kv would go.
It was reported last year that batteries are no longer being considered. Which is a shame as they would have been useful for the Skelmersdale extension (and Lancashire CC funding it)
Battery trial on the class 777 has been pulled, too much heat from the batteries and not enough room to fit cooling equipment without a redesign of the body to increase space.

D365

Veteran Member
It was reported last year that batteries are no longer being considered. Which is a shame as they would have been useful for the Skelmersdale extension (and Lancashire CC funding it)

I missed that post, thanks for providing the quote. Cooling of the batteries was one of the key issues identified in the Class 379 IPEMU trial, I imagine that rolling stock manufacturers are left to find their own solutions.

Vespa

Established Member
So 3rd rail+25kv pantograph is the only feasible way to go until battery technology improves.

urbophile

Established Member
Do we know if the new units are arriving on Merseyside as scheduled or is there a significant delay because of Covid-19?

Skie

Battery trial is still going ahead. The LCR have even recently allocated a significant chunk of cash for it to be expanded. Think the wibble about it being cancelled was because Stadler initially hit some snags and had to delay equipping a unit with batteries until later in the production run.

gka472l

I'm assuming some testing is/will be being done using OHL at some point?? as with the 707's (for example) which would never see OHL in their normal use?

Skie

None of them will have pans or the electrical equipment fitted, they’re just capable of having it fitted at some point. Stadler might want to test them but anything like that would be done over there.

Energy

Established Member
They will almost certainly fit a pantograph to atleast one train to test it although the pantograph may be removed after they know it works, happens on most units as the manufacturer and ROSCO will want to know it works incase they need it.

Skie

They will almost certainly fit a pantograph to atleast one train to test it although the pantograph may be removed after they know it works, happens on most units as the manufacturer and ROSCO will want to know it works incase they need it.
No ROSCO involved here. But it's still a sensible thing to test to at least prove that what the manufacturer claims can be done. Wouldnt be fun finding out in 10 years time after an extension to Skem goes live!

Energy

Established Member
No ROSCO involved here. But it's still a sensible thing to test to at least prove that what the manufacturer claims can be done. Wouldnt be fun finding out in 10 years time after an extension to Skem goes live!
Good point, I'll rephrase it as 'the owner of the units' as I doubt Merseytravel will be happy if they find out they can't actually install a pantograph in 10 years time.

Gareth

Established Member
So 3rd rail+25kv pantograph is the only feasible way to go until battery technology improves.

Or we can just extend using the existing 3rd rail system if our erstwhile friend 'common sense' were to return in triumph once more.

urbophile

Established Member
Or we can just extend using the existing 3rd rail system if our erstwhile friend 'common sense' were to return in triumph once more.
Wouldn't common sense dictate that as much of the current third rail network as possible should be converted to overhead to be compatible with the national system?

MR-507508

No, because Merseyrail's strength is in being simple and self-contained.
I do wonder whether any extension to the MR network could ultimately affect the reliability of services as lines become longer such as Ormskirk-Preston, increasing the chance of disruption.

Liverpool 507

I do wonder whether any extension to the MR network could ultimately affect the reliability of services as lines become longer such as Ormskirk-Preston, increasing the chance of disruption.

Depends whether lines such as Ormskirk to Preston would retain the Northern service.

If that is the case, the Ormskirk to Preston line would need redoubling, especially if Merseyrail increase the number of trains down this line, if this would ever happen in the future.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

That's one reason I favour self-contained extensions, e.g. to Burscough Bridge rather than Preston.

There won't (back on topic!) be enough 777s for major extensions anyway, that would require an additional order.

Established Member
That's one reason I favour self-contained extensions, e.g. to Burscough Bridge rather than Preston.

There won't (back on topic!) be enough 777s for major extensions anyway, that would require an additional order.

There's barely enough for the existing network, IMO.

Liverpool 507

There's barely enough for the existing network, IMO.

I can understand why 52 have been ordered. Working out how many units would be out on the Southport - Hunts Cross and Ormskirk lines with the '777' daytime timetable in place, only 9 units will be required, compared to 10 daily for the former and 5 required, compared to 6 for the latter. It would be interesting how many less would be on the Wirral Line during the day time.

Established Member
I can understand why 52 have been ordered. Working out how many units would be out on the Southport - Hunts Cross and Ormskirk lines with the '777' daytime timetable in place, only 9 units will be required, compared to 10 daily for the former and 5 required, compared to 6 for the latter. It would be interesting how many less would be on the Wirral Line during the day time.

Oh right, that makes sense then. :)

Bow Fell

Once they are delivered and in service (well known issues to be ironed out of course) there will be a major timetable recast taking advantage of the improved acceleration. 52 units?! Plenty!

Liverpool 507

Once they are delivered and in service (well known issues to be ironed out of course) there will be a major timetable recast taking advantage of the improved acceleration. 52 units?! Plenty!

The new timetable will be the most notable on the Southport - Hunts Cross and Chester lines. One would hope that the 60MPH line speed on straight sections would be increased to 70MPH, but that's for another thread.