• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DBS92042

Established Member
Only 4 barrier wagons today compared to last weeks 7.
I have them as:
87 80 2797 022-6
87 80 2797 021-8
33 80 4737 025-3
33 80 4737 043-6

I'm open for correction on those as its what I read as it passed me, so I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Not due through Acton Bridge until 21:40.
Sunset today is 21:12, though clear skies and a warm evening are forecast.
Last Wednesday the move couldn't run more than a minute early due to being timed to wait for a Pendo at Winsford where 4 tracks merge into 2. Mind you, this was earlier in the evening.
Hmm, I'll see around 9pm if it's not left Crewe early and how much other freight I may see from the comfort of my vehicle in the car park!

Chris217

Yeh,noticed its 2hrs later through Huyton tonight.
So I won't see it to film it this time round unfortunately.
Wonder why it has to spend so much time parked up at Crewe and why it doesnt get routed via Runcorn?

shakey1961

I think this might be your answer to why it's could be very late...

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/248703.aspx
A fire next to the track at Earlestown is causing major disruption through this station. All lines are closed between Newton-le-Willows and Huyton. As a consequence, trains may be cancelled or revised.

Some trains may be diverted onto alternative lines where possible; however, customers can expect delays of up to 60 minutes on these services.

Trains between Earlestown and Chester are now able to run as normal.

We anticipate that major disruption will continue until the end of the day.

Last edited by a moderator:

M28361M

My understanding is that they need to wait until Merseyrail closes for the night, because the two reversals needed at Bootle Oriel Road and Sandhills would risk getting in the way of service trains. Last week Merseyrail were still running their emergency timetable with last trains at around 2200; this week they are still running a reduced service but back to finishing at around midnight, so the delivery of 777007 will have to wait until then.

I think this might be your answer to why it's could be very late...

Indeed, the photos of the fire look very serious. If it isn't cleared up by tonight, who knows what will happen to 007? Is it able to go via Runcorn?

shakey1961

I always wondered why they can't take it in via Runcorn too. Surely there's some jiggery-pokerry with reversing at Liverpool South Parkway and Allerton depot to get it onto the Merseyrail track. However, are the buffer wagons too long to fit through the tunnels and curves of the Liverpool Underground? Mind you, they could stay on the mainline to Edge Hill then work their magic to get back to Olive Mount cutting. Various ways.

Liverpool 507

My understanding is that they need to wait until Merseyrail closes for the night, because the two reversals needed at Bootle Oriel Road and Sandhills would risk getting in the way of service trains. Last week Merseyrail were still running their emergency timetable with last trains at around 2200; this week they are still running a reduced service but back to finishing at around midnight, so the delivery of 777007 will have to wait until then.

Indeed, the photos of the fire look very serious. If it isn't cleared up by tonight, who knows what will happen to 007? Is it able to go via Runcorn?

From a video on Facebook, the fire appears to have spread to the track under the road bridge before Earlestown. I would expect this to be diverted via Runcorn & Liverpool South Parkway tonight. Major Disruption until the end of the day on the ’booked route’.

Mollman

Established Member
Wouldn't common sense dictate that as much of the current third rail network as possible should be converted to overhead to be compatible with the national system?

The issue there is the central Liverpool and Wirral Loop line tunnels. If they don't have enough clearance for OHLE then it makes little sense converting 3rd rail to overhead elsewhere. The most likely use of overhead will be if the CLC route is electrified (as it should be) and some of the Hunts Cross services extended through the Warrington.

M28361M

The light engine movement (0K29) from Tuebrook sidings to attach to the train at Crewe appears to be going ahead. It has gone via Prescot and Ince Moss Junction to reach the WCML.

Presumably only the route via Earlestown is cleared for the 777?

Harryn9000

The light engine movement (0K29) from Tuebrook sidings to attach to the train at Crewe appears to be going ahead. It has gone via Prescot and Ince Moss Junction to reach the WCML.

Presumably only the route via Earlestown is cleared for the 777?
Ye a lad has posted it has not alternate route due to gauge

ACCC5FC2-1448-4038-B528-01EBEEF5F022.jpeg

Last edited:

M60lad

Any idea of when it will run, if the line is open could it run tomorrow sometime maybe similar time tomorrow night?

M28361M

It departed Crewe Refuge Siding at 2143 and was just seen on Railcam passing through the station.

Rumour is that it might go via Runcorn after all. EDIT: OpenTrainTimes shows it leaving the main WCML and onto the Runcorn/Liverpool branch.

Last edited:

Murray J

Fixating on USB ports and WiFi, which frankly would be a relatively minor part of the refurb, is in my view losing sight of the main issue here.

Getting a reliable unit.

The USB ports and WiFi are minimal parts of the project which have little or no impact on delivering a reliable unit.
Still wouldn’t have gone through Earlestown, line closed until further notice and fire damage is likely.
Yeah, it went via Runcorn and Liverpool south parkway instead.