• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
Does anyone know how the doors will be operated on these please? Is it fully guard operated, or is it driver open guard close?

Domh245

Established Member
Thought they were going DOO?

That was certainly the original intention, but this RMT press release suggests it will be Driver Open/Guard close when they do go into service (assuming nothing else changes/has changed in the mean time!)

RMT Press Office:

RMT secures major breakthrough and suspends planned action as Merseyrail table new offer that protects the role of the guard

Rail union RMT today suspended all action in the long-running dispute on Merseyrail after the company tabled an offer that guarantees both a guard on the train and the safety-critical role of that guard in the despatch process and ensures the safest possible method by having guards close the train doors at the platform/train interface.

The breakthrough offer comes after nearly three years of political, industrial and public campaigning by the union and after intense negotiations between RMT and the company that ran late into Friday evening.

The Merseyrail proposals have been examined in detail today at a meeting of RMT reps and the union’s National Executive and represent significant movement on the crucial despatch issue that has enabled the union to suspend all action in the current dispute. There is further work to do now around the fine detail but the union is committed in principle to the despatch procedure and to taking that process forwards with a view to getting a final deal over the line.
RMT general secretary Mick Cash said:
“Today’s breakthrough in the long-running Merseyrail guards’ dispute has been achieved after nearly three years of hard political, industrial and public campaigning and I want to pay tribute to RMT members who have been prepared to put themselves on the line at significant personal cost to defend safety and accessibility on the railway. The progress that has been achieved has been extraordinary. We have pushed back from the threat of wholesale Driver Only Operation across Merseyrail to not only a guarantee of a guard on every train but a guarantee that that guard will retain a safety-critical role in the despatch process including the most operationally safe method of guards closing the doors at the platform/train interface. That is a significant development that will resonate throughout the rail industry.

“I want to thank our negotiating team, led by our Regional Organiser John Tilley, who have worked tirelessly to pin down the crucial movement that has resulted in this offer which gives us enough in principle to suspend all planned action in the dispute. There is some further work to do now around the fine detail but the union remains committed, as we have been right from the start, to getting a final deal over the line that protects both the guard and their safety-critical role on Merseyrail trains.”

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That was certainly the original intention, but this RMT press release suggests it will be Driver Open/Guard close when they do go into service (assuming nothing else changes/has changed in the mean time!)

I seem to recall that as things stand it's some sort of quirky guard dispatch thing as the units don't have intermediate guard panels, but I suspect those will get fitted, or at least signal buzzers so 10-bell can be used (I hope not the latter as it's grindingly slow).

Domh245

Established Member
I hope they don't go with 10 bells - it has no place on a busy suburban railway! If complete panels can't be retrofitted, I wonder if they'll be worked from the rear cab - could have advantages in terms of using the cameras to monitor the despatch process but could be a problem where they are planning on stopping trains with the rear cab in the tunnel (if I am remembering plans correctly?)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm interested to know how long the extending steps take to lock away before it allows any bells...talking of delays.

About 2-3 seconds or so, same as a Pendolino.

10 bell would be lunacy, which probably means it'll be used. Now guard dispatch has been decided, they should fit proper panels (they needn't take up too much space, all they'd need is a key, close and signal). As the whole case for guards here is really a customer-facing presence, like Class 195/331 they should probably be in the saloon only.

MR-507508

5T01 is currently showing at Rice Lane for at least the past half hour or so. It is showing both on OTT and Traksy.
5T01 usually represents one of the new units out on test.
I have no idea what is happening but a Kirkby train from Liverpool Central to Kirkby has just passed Rice Lane so I think its safe to say the new train is not there at the moment but not sure whether it has been out earlier this evening?
It usually only makes an appearance once all services have finished.
No mention of a move on RTT.

Pacef8

How can i tel what passed our house in port sunlight after 1.30 early this morning it was trundling along like a digger with lights. Monday In the night it was full on diesel pounding making a racket.

MR-507508

Testing on the West Kirby and New Brighton lines early hours this morning. I think this is the first time the new 777s have been on both these lines.
I think its 777003, has this unit been stored at Birkenhead North depot this week, it seems to have come off North depot?

morgan2101

Hope this isn't a bit self indulgent, but I have just got back from a very windy Bebington station after seeing 003 run through. I didn't realise just how quiet these are.

M28361M

Apparently, 003 visited Chester for the first time in the early hours of this morning. I think I'm right in saying it has now covered the entire Merseyrail Electrics network (perhaps excluding the odd siding or crossover).

Pacef8

Most trains that pass at the moment have only 3 passengers per train so the new 777 is not that different.

Harryn9000

i was going past kirkdale yesterday on bus and i think it was 777003 it was outside in normal stable points at kirkdale

Liverpool 507

i was going past kirkdale yesterday on bus and i think it was 777003 it was outside in normal stable points at kirkdale

Wouldn’t have been 777003, as that has been living at Birkenhead North for a week now. Will have been 777007, as that is in the sidings. 777004 is living in the shed at Kirkdale.

MR-507508

Wouldn’t have been 777003, as that has been living at Birkenhead North for a week now. Will have been 777007, as that is in the sidings. 777004 is living in the shed at Kirkdale.
I think 777003 returned back to Kirkdale yesterday evening, as 5T01 made its way back over to Kirkdale depot.