• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

The project to fit large batteries to unit 006 was temporarily shelved when Stadler said that they could not find a way of keeping them cool without developing a bespoke system. Subsequently Liverpool City Region, who control Merseytravel, found the necessary funding. The last I heard was that the batteries will now be fitted to unit 008. However, that was at least 6 months ago and Covid-19 may well have caused a delay to the experiment. A great deal is hanging on the trial being a success with ambitions to run beyond the current limits of the third rail to Wigan, Preston, Warrington and some way towards Wrexham.
Thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pacef8

These are the units i referred to at capenhurst.

Attachments

• FCA13441-5426-4F50-ACF5-3521F4101C8F.jpeg
    FCA13441-5426-4F50-ACF5-3521F4101C8F.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 215

tetudo boy

Does anyone know if the new trains will be making test runs tonight? If so, where will they be? I might go and see if I can find one.

mmh

Established Member
It always amuses me when new, more efficient trains have a higher power draw and need electrical infrastructure improvements.

Energy

Established Member
It always amuses me when new, more efficient trains have a higher power draw and need electrical infrastructure improvements.
They have much better acceleration at the cost of consuming more power, increased efficiency does allow some of this but to get the high acceleration of the new MUs they will require more power.

M28361M

Does anyone know if the new trains will be making test runs tonight? If so, where will they be? I might go and see if I can find one.

It can be difficult to find out if/when a test run is taking place. The paths do not show up on Real Time Trains or similar websites.

Best way to find it is to keep an eye on the OpenTrainTimes signalling maps. Look out for 5T01 moving around (but ignore the one showing at Rice Lane station, this is a glitch on the map that has been there for a few weeks now). You should be able to work out where it is going from the route that has been set by the signaller.

shakey1961

Another test run of 777 003 as of 28 June 2020 at 23:00. I'll upload its return to Liverpool tomorrow as it's nearly 1 am now.

M28361M

That might be the last "early" test run of 777s for now, as from 5th July Merseyrail are reintroducing evening services on Sundays.

Roger B

not that frequent thou could still run test trains in between services

Will be a tight squeeze, especially if they need possession or to electrically isolate 777 from other trains on the network. They'd probably also want to test a 777 passing a 507/8 going in the in the opposite direction to confirm no spurious electro-magnetic fields are caused that could effect signalling, 777s, or 507/8s (if they haven't already). So I reckon daytime running's probably a little way off.

MR-507508

Is another 777 due tomorrow? The regular "runs as required" schedule on RTT appears to have been "altered" for the next four Wednesdays?

M28361M

They'd probably also want to test a 777 passing a 507/8 going in the in the opposite direction to confirm no spurious electro-magnetic fields are caused that could effect signalling, 777s, or 507/8s (if they haven't already).

Interestingly some sort of two-train testing seemed to be happening early this morning. OpenTrainTimes showed the usual 5T01 headcode, but also another train with an "anonymous" headcode 564U, which passed each other at Liverpool South Parkway. Then ran to Hunts Cross and Liverpool Central respectively, reversed and returned to LPY to do the same again.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Indeed. To clarify for @Pacef8, see the following extract from the NRE journey planner:

1593709232684.png

A direct service is shown from Liverpool South Parkway to Liverpool Central. As long as it's accepted that Liverpool Central is only served by (third rail) Merseyrail trains, then it follows that there must be a platform or two at Liverpool South Parkway that is served by third rail trains, and since these trains are shown in the public passenger timetable it further follows that the platforms aren't out of use.