• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

Chris217

Ha,I wouldnt expect a class 777 to turn up on a service anytime soon.
The lower level at LSP used to be Garston and the Mainline station used to be Allerton.
It became Liverpool South Parkway as a bus and rail interchange in 2006.

Coincidently the Mainline platforms are situated in Allerton and the lower level is in Garston. Effectively one station in 2 districts of Liverpool albeit neighbours lol.

Is there any news of the next 777 on it's way to the UK yet?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Why would anyone going from South Parkway to Liverpool city centre who wasn't an enthusiast use anything other than Merseyrail?
Because it's easier to just get whatever turns up first?
I know this is going off-topic, but if you are in the main hall at Parkway it's not that easy to spot the next train to town. Yes, there are departure boards, but they're not big or easy to interpret at a glance. Given that you need to turn left for one lot of trains and right for the other, it's much easier to adopt a habit and stick to it, rather than make the effort of deciding what train will pop you into town fastest.

TheSel

The lower level at LSP used to be Garston and the Mainline station used to be Allerton.
It became Liverpool South Parkway as a bus and rail interchange in 2006.

Not quite. Although Allerton station was enlarged and forms the basis of the 'Main Line' platforms (1-4) at Liverpool South Parkway, Garston station was about 150 meters west of where the Merseyrail platforms (5 & 6) of Liverpool South Parkway are situated.

Hopefully the extract below from Google Maps helps. The red arrow points to the location of the old Garston Station, and the green arrow shows what was its service road (now fenced off), which ran one-way, west to east.

1593765272711.png

urbophile

Established Member
Why would anyone going from South Parkway to Liverpool city centre who wasn't an enthusiast use anything other than Merseyrail?
Fewer stops so that it feels quicker even if it might not be (though probably is on the Nottingham and Birmingham trains). Saves a tedious ten minute trudge from Central or Moorfields if you are heading for anywhere in the St George's Hall/ William Brown Street/ London Road area. And of course maybe you are connecting onto another train from Lime Street.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The Merseyrail trains at Parkway are more predictable and on an exact 15-minute timetable (normally), and are pretty empty.
Those on the HL platforms tend to be more erratic (towards Liverpool certainly), but there is more variety and "interest" - the ME route is mostly in cutting all the way.
On the other hand if you are heading to the Wirral the ME route is a bit quicker with the change at Central.
Though the connection to Chester at either Lime St or Central tends to be nearly 15 minutes anyway so you end up staring at a tunnel wall in the chill breeze.
The main line platforms at Parkway are a bit more of a hike from the entrance than the ME ones, but there is decent shelter on the bridge, and a "view" to the Welsh hills (home for me).

Roger B

Fewer stops so that it feels quicker even if it might not be (though probably is on the Nottingham and Birmingham trains). Saves a tedious ten minute trudge from Central or Moorfields if you are heading for anywhere in the St George's Hall/ William Brown Street/ London Road area. And of course maybe you are connecting onto another train from Lime Street.
ME seems to generally take 13 / 14 mins - whilst even the GA 'express' trains from Norwich take 11+, and the ME trains are more reliable. However, if you prefer something a little more interesting to look at than the sides of a cutting, Lime St is the way to go: Edge Hill carriage sidings, a Drax or other freight in or around Tuebrook sidings, and maybe a 68 simmering away in Lime St itself. Although I would be tempted by a 777!

Pacef8

A fast train past port sunlight at 1.40 am this morning . No bright lights so could of been a 777 out on test?

M28361M

Looks like we might be getting two 777s delivered this week. 777005 and another spotted in transit across Europe (Video uploaded to YouTube yesterday)

Last edited:

chiltern trev

A few loaded container flats on the back - heavily loaded containers for braking no doubt. And presumably be the green 'sausage' in through the cab door windows are control cables for something.

A few loaded container flats on the back - heavily loaded containers for braking no doubt. And presumably be the green 'sausage' in through the cab door windows are control cables for something.
I think it's the air line for the brakes on the rear wagons.

paddyb6

I believe it is 005 (confirmed) and 009 on the way, not 100% sure if it is 009.
001 is still at Wildenrath I assume as well as 002.
003, 004 and 007 at Kirkdale.
Therefore, it makes sense if it is 009 then 003,005,007 and 009 all from Sledice in Poland have been delivered, 001 at Wildenrath for testing.
Next from St Margarethen, Switzerland would be 006, 008 and 010 and so forth.

Gareth

Established Member
Because it's easier to just get whatever turns up first?

There's quite a distance between the two parts of the station. You're quite like to make a conscious decision of which platforms to aim for. The mainline's good for changing at Lime Street for Chat Moss services and if you actually want the London Road area. Also, no intermediate stops on the LNW and TfW services, so a bit more of a relaxed experience.

L401CJF

Established Member
Anybody after the 777 tonight , one has left North depot currently at Ham Sq signalled through the stock interchange. Presumably 003.

JeffMersey

It looks as though the next move could happen on 8th July. https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/H01810/2020-07-08/detailed
The moves are always booked in for a Wednesday but not all run.
This move however looks more promising since the schedule has been altered compared to the other schedules which are planned every Wednesday.
So I have just seen on RT that it did run today but unfortunately I missed it . How did you know this one would run as the previous ones I set my alarm for were cancelled ! Thanks

M28361M

So I have just seen on RT that it did run today but unfortunately I missed it . How did you know this one would run as the previous ones I set my alarm for were cancelled ! Thanks

Where are you at the moment? The train is still on the move, currently approaching Rugby as I write this, due on Merseyside around 11pm.

Bob Price

Big layover at Crewe. Will be on the live cameras later. They tend to zoom in on stuff like this.

DBS92042

Established Member
The headcode is usually changed from 6M29 to 6X29 a few days before its due to run. If it isn't going to run, the headcode will be left as 6M29. This week the headcode was changed on Monday I think.

MR-507508

Also there is often talk via social media and on YouTube-a video or two may appear , a few days before, as it commences its journey to the UK from Poland or Switzerland.

Last edited: