• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trains Trains

My guess is you deliver to Kirkdale (the customers delivery address) as before, formally check ok after transit and then sort out storage issues after successful receipt at Kirkdale. To deliver elsewhere starts muddying the water if units are found to 'have a problem' at a later time if delivered elsewhere, e.g. was it caused by delivery in transit from Europe or the new storage location? [note - I am not connected with the project but managed projects/contracts before retiring.]

Then move a unit at a time under own power to Southport P3 and then drag into the non-electrified sidings.
Correct Trev.

Last edited:

chiltern trev

Video posted on Twitter of more 777 testing taking place overnight, with sandbags in the passenger saloons, presumably to simulate the weight of a fully-loaded train.

What is the definition of fully loaded? All seats taken? Or all seats taken and a crush standing load? So presumably to achieve the latter the door vestibules will have been crammed with bags.

Say 300 people at 12 stone/ 76 kg = 22,000. Any advance?

And at some point no doubt there will be the fully loaded rescue hill start tests!

Last edited:

Trains Trains

What is the definition of fully loaded? All seats taken? Or all seats taken and a crush standing load? So presumably to achieve the latter the door vestibules will have been crammed with bags.

And at some point no doubt there will be the fully loaded rescue hill start tests!

Last edited:

Gareth

Established Member
Gonna miss the opening windows via which I could toast marshmallows on those lineside fires.

chiltern trev

This has already been done. All of the sand bags will be removed next week which completes that side of the testing. 507 rescued and managed to pull a fully loaded 777 up Leeds streets bank

But can a fully loaded 777 pull another fully loaded 777 up Leeds Street bank? A future test? I presume Leeds Street bank is one of the steepest inclines.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Gonna miss the opening windows via which I could toast marshmallows on those lineside fires.

I wouldn't call what they have now opening windows - it's a crack at best. While putting blocks on them might have stopped seat squabs getting chucked out (a big problem in the 80s and 90s, you saw them all along the lineside) it also means the ventilation is woefully inadequate.

paddyb6

003 > ELP tonight on test with the sandbags, stopping at each station from around 00:00.

M28361M

777006 is scheduled to be delivered this week apparently, according to “Mersey Railways” on Facebook.

Trains Trains

Last edited:

Pacef8

I spoke to a couple of guys at bebington unloading a rail cherry picker for last nights possession work. The second time they have come up from cymbran with the two. They said their was non in the area that could do the job. Whatever it was?

urbophile

Established Member
Still have to wait for NR to give the ok after the issues with track circuits etc that other new rolling stocks have affected. Drivers can't drive the new train untill the issue over guards has been fully agreed. I would imagine we will see the train during normal traffic soon, although probably during off peak
Are we going to see 4-car units on the Southport-Hunts Cross line even though we might have to wait for infrastructure modifications before they can double up? Or are we stuck with the 507/8s indefinitely?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Are we going to see 4-car units on the Southport-Hunts Cross line even though we might have to wait for infrastructure modifications before they can double up? Or are we stuck with the 507/8s indefinitely?

It could well be that the "return to commuting" is low enough that you won't need double sets?

prod_pep

Established Member
It could well be that the "return to commuting" is low enough that you won't need double sets?

No, it's not low enough as it is. They have been using 6 cars on the Southport line in the peaks since it returned to 15 minute operation. Before that, it had been 15 minutes in the peak with 6 cars and 30 minutes outside these times for weeks.

There is absolutely no way a 4 car 777 will be acceptable in peak times on the Southport and Ormskirk lines, COVID or not.

DJH1971

Established Member
The Mersey Railways page on Facebook is reporting that tomorrow's move is off.

The train has failed in France apparently.

Last edited: