• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Class 777 introduction updates

krus_aragon

Established Member
All solvable though. The 777s themselves have onboard Wi-Fi and a network for secure comms (cctv, pa, diagnostics) as well as the passenger side. Interference wouldn’t be an issue given the box would be paired and communicating with the train itself, which the guard would be standing inside.

Proving it all works and is secure is the only major challenge, but it’s not an insurmountable hurdle.
Not insurmountable, but still a mountain to climb. As a result, many industries stick to tried-and-tested methods in preference to getting new techniques passed by the RSSB and the like, especially when the gains are arguably small.

Almost might as well make it secure audio comms and the driver presses the actual button. I think PKP IC's FLIRTs are operated like that.
That'd give much the same benefit for little added complication. No (questionable) radio links between the human being and the door controls, and the guard could fall back to using the door buzzer if needed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

railwaytrack

But crucially it is less safe. And what driver wants to take responsibility for another James St style death due to pissed up party goers etc? Sending one of their merseyrail colleagues to prison really wasn't the best decision, and has helped make driver controlled operation about as appealing as diphtheria.
Driver opening and guard closing on the other hand is a much better way of operating (quick and safer).
Personally i much prefer the traditional method where the Guard both opens the doors and closes the doors and the driver has nothing to do with the doors (like what currently happens on all LNWR / Northern Rail / SWR / TFW / WMR services) as i think this is a lot safer. I have seen data released via FOI requests and it shows that wrong side door releases (where the doors are released on the wrong side) and off platform door releases (where the train stops in the wrong position and some carriages which are not on the platform get released) are much more common on trains where the Driver releases the doors. On trains where the Guard releases the doors this is much rarer. This is because the Guard firstly just opens their local door and steps on to the platform and looks both way along the length of the train to make sure everything is safe before then pressing the buttons to release all of the other doors. So i think it is much safer to keep the Guard in charge of both opening the doors and closing the doors.

197s do have guard panels throughout the saloons.
That is good to hear the 197s do. At least they got that right. Hopefully the 231s and 398s and 756s have them too.

All Spring 2023 means is some time in the future. It's a date and if/(probably) when it isn't met there will be another date.
My best guess is it will be 2024 when the 777s finally enter service.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Personally i much prefer the traditional method where the Guard both opens the doors and closes the doors and the driver has nothing to do with the doors (like what currently happens on all LNWR / Northern Rail / SWR / TFW / WMR services) as i think this is a lot safer. I have seen data released via FOI requests and it shows that wrong side door releases (where the doors are released on the wrong side) and off platform door releases (where the train stops in the wrong position and some carriages which are not on the platform get released) are much more common on trains where the Driver releases the doors. On trains where the Guard releases the doors this is much rarer. This is because the Guard firstly just opens their local door and steps on to the platform and looks both way along the length of the train to make sure everything is safe before then pressing the buttons to release all of the other doors. So i think it is much safer to keep the Guard in charge of both opening the doors and closing the doors.

That is good to hear the 197s do. At least they got that right. Hopefully the 231s and 398s and 756s have them too.

My best guess is it will be 2024 when the 777s finally enter service.

Is there even one other metro service anywhere in the world that operates in that manner? Slow, clunky and inefficient. Stop short and wrong side releases can be prevented on a system like this using beacons. Driver release is used safely all over the place including most UK InterCity operations.

railwaytrack

Is there even one other metro service anywhere in the world that operates in that manner? Slow, clunky and inefficient. Stop short and wrong side releases can be prevented on a system like this using beacons. Driver release is used safely all over the place including most UK InterCity operations.
Well it really depends what you consider to be a Metro service. Whether or not Merseyrail is a metro service or a suburban train service can be debated. The vast majority of metro services around the world are DOO. I believe most lines of the New York Subway / New York PATH Train / Boston Subway / Toronto Subway are all still run with a Guard both opening the doors and closing the doors. Also both the Sydney Australia suburban trains and Wellington New Zealand suburban trains which both run to metro like frequencies on some sections both operate to this method too and have a Guard both opening the doors and closing the doors. So there are some other systems. Just because it is not that common elsewhere it does not mean we should not keep this method. If the Guard having the full control of opening the doors and closing the doors is the safest method than that is what should be kept. I am not a fan of Driver release. It is just not safe enough. Like i said in my previous post there are statistics to show that Driver release trains causes more wrong side door releases and off platform door releases than on Guard release trains. I think the Guard opening their local door only and checking the platform before then opening all of the other doors is the safest method and that is what should ideally be used on all trains.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Do we really need another DOO debate? I doubt a single person has changed their view on the subject since the strikes and debates started in earnest many years ago.

It appears as though my post from a few days ago might have restarted it but that was not my intention. I was merely pointing out that when the 777s were ordered with the intention of operating with DOO an industrial dispute and delay to introduction was inevitable.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Trains with no guard are a open-license for anti social behaviour as we saw at formby.
I understand the sentiment - but Formby is perhaps a bad example, as the main issue there was staff assault, which will surely become less frequent with fewer customer-facing staff members.

wobman

On Moderation
I understand the sentiment - but Formby is perhaps a bad example, as the main issue there was staff assault, which will surely become less frequent with fewer customer-facing staff members.
Yes it would instead being passengers being assaulted at unmanned stations, if I use night trains I've always got on or off at manned Stations.
I've travelled on LU and every station I travelled on at night was manned, this was why the LU felt a lot safer for travelling at night than the merseyrail network.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Yes it would instead being passengers being assaulted at unmanned stations, if I use night trains I've always got on or off at manned Stations.
I've travelled on LU and every station I travelled on at night was manned, this was why the LU felt a lot safer for travelling at night than the merseyrail network.
Oh yes, I'm certainly not suggesting that staff assaults are a reason to remove staff or that removing staff would stop violence on stations - I'm just pointing out that what happened at Formby wasn't caused by staff not being present.

urbophile

Established Member
Trains with no guard are a open-license for anti social behaviour as we saw at formby.
Was the incident at Formby on a train, or just on the station between trains? If the latter, the presence or absence of a guard is irrelevant.

Ribbleman

Was the incident at Formby on a train, or just on the station between trains? If the latter, the presence or absence of a guard is irrelevant.
From the video obtained by the press, the incident appears to have taken place on the platform and stairs leading to the booking office. There is no train shown, though the occurrence may have started on one which had by then departed.

Last edited:

ADHDTog

I’m surprised someone hasn’t created a wireless door control system. Simple box with a few buttons for door control, PA and an NFC reader. Tap the box on the NFC tag on the set of doors you want to be local and the box just acts like a door panel.

Pop it back in the cab at the end of the turn to charge, or have them more like ticket handhelds and they stay with the guard until he books off. They could have a screen on them to view the body cameras, or the nearest saloon screen could do it automatically when the local door is activated.

In addition to what others have said above, Merseyrail haven't even rolled out validation of e-tickets, so such a technologically advanced system would be like witchcraft and would likely result in management ordering ducking stools on the banks of the Mersey! (/s)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
In addition to what others have said above, Merseyrail haven't even rolled out validation of e-tickets, so such a technologically advanced system would be like witchcraft and would likely result in management ordering ducking stools on the banks of the Mersey! (/s)

Nobody tell them that SBB guards now dispatch trains using a mobile phone app (which is far better than the old system of giving the RA before the doors were even closed).

railwaytrack

Nobody tell them that SBB guards now dispatch trains using a mobile phone app (which is far better than the old system of giving the RA before the doors were even closed).
Guards on SBB despatch with a mobile app? How on earth does that work? Is the mobile app connected via bluetooth or wifi or 2G/3G/4G/5G signal? How does it know which is the local door? So does the app have door control buttons and a bell button? Also i thought SBB trains were DOO so which ones still have Guards on them?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Guards on SBB despatch with a mobile app? How on earth does that work? Is the mobile app connected via bluetooth or wifi or 2G/3G/4G/5G signal?

Don't know, sorry.

How does it know which is the local door?

If you put a UIC key in at a door and turn it, that door stays open until you press the passenger close button. Those dastardly Europeans have thought of everything!

So does the app have door control buttons and a bell button?

No, just a "go" button. The doors are done the normal way.

Also i thought SBB trains were DOO so which ones still have Guards on them?

All locomotive hauled trains. (Those formed of DOO modified EW I/II didn't, but I think those are all gone now).

New thread to continue this: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/sbb-mobile-phone-dispatch.230299/

paul1609

Established Member
According to Real-time Trains they arrived at Arpley Sidings, Warrington at 10.45 this morning. A change from earlier deliveries that would spend the day at Crewe. They are due to move on to Kirkdale in the early hours of Thursday morning.

Yes, all the 777s are able to move short distances on battery power, so there will be no need to provide 3rd rail within depots and sidings. This is a separate issue to the fitment of large batteries to some units to enable services to be extended beyond the limits of the 3rd rail.
So how do they preheat before going in to service? or is this storage pre service.? Down south we needed the electrical supplies to depots enhanced before the 377s were introduced to meet the demands of ac and heating on the new stock.

Ribbleman

So how do they preheat before going in to service? or is this storage pre service.? Down south we needed the electrical supplies to depots enhanced before the 377s were introduced to meet the demands of ac and heating on the new stock.
That’s an interesting point. I don’t know the answer. A shore supply from a cable? Unless the batteries can supply sufficient power to work the aircon for a short period but still retain enough to allow the units to move off non-electrified sidings.

themiller

That’s an interesting point. I don’t know the answer. A shore supply from a cable? Unless the batteries can supply sufficient power to work the aircon for a short period but still retain enough to allow the units to move off non-electrified sidings.
Unelectrified sidings? Switzerland?

D821

All the sidings will already be electrified. I would imagine they will just shut off the ones in the depot for safety once the new units are there.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
52 out of 56 in service each day!

92.8% availability puts many newer classes to shame.

The 507/508s seem to be well thought of. I got an email from MerseyRail today tempting me to buy a soft toy version of the units, available from certain stations! I will be sorry to see them go.

Ribbleman

There are paths in the system every Monday - Friday which I believe are just left there as required. They often don’t run.
777015 called at Hall Road at about 12.20 today, heading for Southport. As it is one of the last three to be delivered, that suggests that all the previous arrivals have completed the required mileage on test and been accepted by Merseytravel.

Established Member
777015 called at Hall Road at about 12.20 today, heading for Southport. As it is one of the last three to be delivered, that suggests that all the previous arrivals have completed the required mileage on test and been accepted by Merseytravel.
It was also out on Monday and Tuesday. These have been the first test runs in 3 weeks since they have been having a bit of bad luck with 777013 which has been unable to leave Kirkdale depot. I’m sure if it was renumbered 777054 then it would work immediately!

At 14:03, 777015 passed Hall Road again without stopping and at the end of the run to Southport it had completed 498 miles

MR-507508

It was also out on Monday and Tuesday. These have been the first test runs in 3 weeks since they have been having a bit of bad luck with 777013 which has been unable to leave Kirkdale depot. I’m sure if it was renumbered 777054 then it would work immediately!

At 14:03, 777015 passed Hall Road again without stopping and at the end of the run to Southport it had completed 498 miles
Has 777007 and 777009 completed their fault-free running yet?

TrainTube

Guards on SBB despatch with a mobile app? How on earth does that work? Is the mobile app connected via bluetooth or wifi or 2G/3G/4G/5G signal? How does it know which is the local door? So does the app have door control buttons and a bell button? Also i thought SBB trains were DOO so which ones still have Guards on them?
Some still have guards for sure, I went on some Tilo (sbb& trenord) services on Tuesday and they had a guard watching the doors. Not sure whether they did it themselves or whether they communicated with the driver to close them.

Skie

hello
I was also expecting a designation close to that of the existing units
The 750-799 grouping was meant to be used for hybrid/multi-mode units, or those capable of being hybrid with minimal work in the future. The 777s can be 3rd rail and battery or 3rd rail and 25kv AC so they fit that definition. Indeed some are being delivered as Battery Electric Multiple Units (BEMUs), so it’s not even theoretical.

Energy

Established Member
The 750-799 grouping was meant to be used for hybrid/multi-mode units, or those capable of being hybrid with minimal work in the future. The 777s can be 3rd rail and battery or 3rd rail and 25kv AC so they fit that definition. Indeed some are being delivered as Battery Electric Multiple Units (BEMUs), so it’s not even theoretical.
Not to do with that, the 777s got their designation before it was decided that 750-799 was for multi mode units.

Skie

They were definitely told to use the 700 range and went for 777 as it was available and a neat number. I think the formal 750-799 designation for new electric units with more than one supply came about shortly later. Cart leading the horse.