• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Daytime Stabling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlythPower

Hi Folks,

Which (if any...) is likeliest to have a unit or two parked up during the daytime (11:00-16:00):
West Kirby, New Brighton, Birkenhead Central or Rock Ferry?

Thanks,
BP.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member
Hi Folks,

Which (if any...) is likeliest to have a unit or two parked up during the daytime (11:00-16:00):

Thanks,
BP.

From what I've seen, they're mostly at Birkenhead North TMD

BlythPower

From what I've seen, they're mostly at Birkenhead North TMD

Thanks! On previous visits, there's been the odd unit parked up elsewhere around the Wirral lines. Hanging out together at Birkenhead North must be be a safety in numbers thing with their replacements looming on the horizon. :lol:

clagmonster

Established Member
https://www.opentraintimes.com/maps/signalling/wirral is a good resource as it will show if anything is stabled at New Brighton, West Kirby, Rock Ferry, Birkenhead Central or Hooton (I think the latter would be unusual - any of the others are possible). At present, aside from service trains turning, there is nothing at any of these locations, so all stabled units on the Wirral must be at Birkenhead North.

bramling

Veteran Member
Hi Folks,

Thanks,
BP.

It used to be the case that a unit stables at Birkenhead Central during the day, presumably useful due to the crews being based there. There’s a 5H00 1542 to Moorfields via Rock Ferry shown in the WTT, but in the current service there’s nothing shown for how the train gets there, which suggests it may not be happening in practice at present.

michael74

As a child I remember New Brighton was usually full during off peak, but with the extensions to Ellesmere Port and Chester and the non replacement of any units scrapped and those in the sheds for repairs or exams, I think leaves the fleet stretched.

Statto

Established Member
It's Birkenhead North TMD on New Brighton/West Kirby branch, i know the 6 car set that does West Kirkby-Liverpool in the peaks, usually originates at Kirkdale TMD, then does, the 07.01 & 08.21 West Kirby-Liverpool Loop service, then goes empty to Birkenhead North TMD until around 16.00 before empty back out to West Kirby to do the 16.31 then 17.51 West Kirby-Liverpool-Loop service, then back empty to Kirkdale TMD.

jamesst

It's Birkenhead North TMD on New Brighton/West Kirby branch, i know the 6 car set that does West Kirkby-Liverpool in the peaks, usually originates at Kirkdale TMD, then does, the 07.01 & 08.21 West Kirby-Liverpool Loop service, then goes empty to Birkenhead North TMD until around 16.00 before empty back out to West Kirby to do the 16.31 then 17.51 West Kirby-Liverpool-Loop service, then back empty to Kirkdale TMD.

Almost right. The morning West Kirby 6 car originates from Birkenhead North depot, splits after the morning peak with 3 coaches going back to North depot. For the evening peak a 6 car comes from North depot to do a couple of West Kirby trips before going to Kirkdale depot.

jamesst

Spare units have been few and far between the past couple of months on the Wirral as extras have been required in the Northern line in connection with the Lime Street mainline works.
As from this coming Monday (30/7) daytime stabling points on the Wirral will be Birkenhead Central bay (3 car) and Birkenhead North depot. On the Northern Kirkdale depot and Southport.

BlythPower

Spare units have been few and far between the past couple of months on the Wirral as extras have been required in the Northern line in connection with the Lime Street mainline works.
As from this coming Monday (30/7) daytime stabling points on the Wirral will be Birkenhead Central bay (3 car) and Birkenhead North depot. On the Northern Kirkdale depot and Southport.

Cheers! A spin out to Birkenhead Central it is then. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.