• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail disruptions on 6th & 7th May 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

John55

On Sunday 6th May there was a fire at the sub-station at Bank Hall at lunchtime which led to the cancellation of services from Liverpool to Ormskirk and Kirkby for the rest of the day and an interruption of 4-5 hours in services from Liverpool to Southport.

On Monday 7th services from Liverpool to Hunts Cross and Formby to Southport did not run for much of the day.

Can anyone explain why the fault at Bank Hall led to such drastic service reductions so far from the reported fault on 7th May?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John55

Bevan Price

Established Member
Does the Bank Hall sub-station supply power to the Merseyrail signalling centre located nearby at Sandhills ?

John55

Does the Bank Hall sub-station supply power to the Merseyrail signalling centre located nearby at Sandhills ?

I don't think so. The Wirral lines were working ok and on sunday signalling in Southport station seemed to be working ok as did the local level crossings. When the power to the signalling centre failed a couple of years ago the level crossings defaulted to shut to the roads and that didn't happen last week.

Pumbaa

Established Member
The NR response took very long - discussions will be ongoing for several months!

From what I can work out, reduction in available power led to the power available being sourced for key service areas. Formby - Southport and Liverpool - Hunts X are low key priorities; principally because they can be accessed by other transport means.

John55

The NR response took very long - discussions will be ongoing for several months!

From what I can work out, reduction in available power led to the power available being sourced for key service areas. Formby - Southport and Liverpool - Hunts X are low key priorities; principally because they can be accessed by other transport means.

I had been assuming the faults were on the LV side but from your comment the light has dawned and I now assume it was a HV fault. Does all the 11kV go to Bank Hall for distribution to the Liverpool side substations? It used to be the point were Liverpool Corporation fed the railway. I hope it wasn't one of the replacement 11kV cables which failed (the last lot was bad enough).

At least NR got power on a lot faster than during the Hillside fiasco 5 or so years ago.

Pumbaa

Established Member
I've got no idea I'm afraid - I was merely parroting the official line.

Status
Not open for further replies.