• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail 'family ticket'

Status
Not open for further replies.

nedchester

Established Member
Thinking of taking the family (2 adults + 2 children) to Liverpool using the Merseyrail Family ticket

http://www.merseyrail.org/tickets/family-ticket.html

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/promotions/pr24331781db4941a98809a1ee9cdc35/details.html

I am then thinking of using the ticket on my own (just one adult) in the evening to go into Liverpool.

Looking at the conditions there is nothing that states there NEEDS to be a child in the group. In fact it says a group of up to five (adults??) could use it.

So, is it OK to use this ticket without a child?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tony_mac

Established Member
This isn't any help - but was the National Rail entry written by a child?
The group does not have to include 5 as 2 adults and 1 child could use this ticket

The map also has writing that says the ticket is valid on Northern Rail - but does not include any of their services; even though 'city line' services are specifically included on Merseyrail's page.

I wonder if the ticket complies with the NRCoC and says 'MerseyRail / Northern only' on it....

Obviously it means at most two adults.
They would also assume at least 1 child, or else there would be no point buying the ticket, but the specific validity is difficult to work out from the text.

(And, it is apparently only available from staffed stations - I don't know what the procedure is if you want to travel from an unstaffed station).

district

This ticket is described on NRE as...
A family ticket which gives unlimited group travel at off peak times

You are right in that it does not say a child must not travel with the 'group'. Unfortunately, 'group' is not defined in Appendix A of the National Rail Conditions of Carriage, but NRE have defined it themselves;

A group could be up to 5 persons

It says 'could be' which means also it 'could not be'. You could, theoretically travel on your own, and in my opinion, by the letter of what NRE have said, it would be valid. I would personally try it - but keep a printout of the NRE website with you. If you are stopped, explain what we've said, that nowhere a child is mentioned as having to be part of the group. I am confident that an appeal would be largely successful if Merseyrail staff challenged your use of this ticket.

nedchester

Established Member
This ticket is described on NRE as...

You are right in that it does not say a child must not travel with the 'group'. Unfortunately, 'group' is not defined in Appendix A of the National Rail Conditions of Carriage, but NRE have defined it themselves;

It says 'could be' which means also it 'could not be'. You could, theoretically travel on your own, and in my opinion, by the letter of what NRE have said, it would be valid. I would personally try it - but keep a printout of the NRE website with you. If you are stopped, explain what we've said, that nowhere a child is mentioned as having to be part of the group. I am confident that an appeal would be largely successful if Merseyrail staff challenged your use of this ticket.

Which is what I think I will do. In retail as far as I know if there is some ambiguity then the law sides with the customer. Just fancy a family day out go home and then out in the evening for a beer with friends. It'll save me coughing up for another Day Saver.

Status
Not open for further replies.