• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MerseyRail Feet Fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
While airline seating may deter feet on seats, I'm not sure how well it will work for people bringing their shopping home on Merseyrail.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
Unless you're putting your shopping on seats, which you should not be doing anyway, I'm not clear why it would make any difference at all?
It's the lack of space it leaves for the supermarket trolleys.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Unless you're putting your shopping on seats, which you should not be doing anyway, I'm not clear why it would make any difference at all?
Because people put their shopping on the floor around their feet. There's much more flexibility in a space designed for four pairs of feet than there is in two spaces each designed for two pairs.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Because people put their shopping on the floor around their feet. There's much more flexibility in a space designed for four pairs of feet than there is in two spaces each designed for two pairs.

Arguably there's a lot more in airline seats, because you can place what you like under the seat in front of you without impinging on the person opposite's legroom. The between-seat-backs/under-seat space is largely wasted on facing seating. You can put bags there but almost nobody actually does.

dvfmlfc

When Carlisle Security get on a Merseyrail train, by and large, the guard announces over the tannoy that passengers should not infringe on various byelaws. I've not had any dealings with these contractors, but I wouldn't fancy making eye contact with them.

I personally find the RPT on Merseyrail Electrics to be intimidating and downright arrogant. Last week at Ormskirk, there were 10 of these "people" checking tickets. I had mine checked twice, for some reason. I've seen them fighting with a passenger at Kirkby - not restraining, but actually punching this lad. Again, not the most dapper of people, and certainly a rent-a-mob crowd to avoid at all costs.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
One thing I noted this evening while on their finest silver-and-yellow 40 year old steed, was that there are no longer prominent stickers stating that feet should not go on the seat frame. This could really do with reinstating, as I can completely see why people put their feet on that seat component, it's no different really from putting them on a heating conduit which is very common.

I also noted that on a 350/3 a more sensible frame design is used to support seats in a very similar configuration which does not create that opportunity. A very poor piece of design indeed, which at least only has a couple of years left in service.

shredder1

Established Member
Wow, that's a bit harsh! However Merseyrail long did have an issue with low-level antisocial behaviour, and their line, which seems to be working, is that if you use a zero tolerance approach to all ASB, however minor, you get things back in order - which to be fair to them does seem to have happened.

Not as harsh as being approached by two back street bouncers, (sorry Carlisle Security), and being threatened to have my camera confiscated and then lying on their statement when I involved the rail regulators and police, Merseyrail eventually apologised to me and changed their policy, through a board meeting at the time, I still have all my original letters and paperwork. Zero tolerance only applies to law breakers, not customers going about their legal business. Taking photographs of trains is not actually anti social behaviour.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Taking photographs of trains is not actually anti social behaviour.

It's not in and of itself, but it can be if (not in your case) it obstructs platforms etc. Certainly I would not give permission for someone to use Liverpool Central for a prolonged photography session (rather than a couple of snaps), nor Piccadilly P13/14 for that matter (the issues are similar). I'd send them elsewhere on the network (there are far better places for it), and this might be what they were briefed to do but misunderstood?

shredder1

Established Member
Not as harsh as being approached by two back street bouncers, (sorry Carlisle Security), and being threatened to have my camera confiscated and then lying on their statement when I involved the rail regulators and police, Merseyrail eventually apologised to me and changed their policy through a board meeting at the time, I still have all my original letters and paperwork. Zero tolerance only applies to law breakers, not customers going about their legal business. Taking photographs of trains is not actually anti social behaviour.
It's not in and of itself, but it can be if (not in your case) it obstructs platforms etc. Certainly I would not give permission for someone to use Liverpool Central for a prolonged photography session (rather than a couple of snaps), nor Piccadilly P13/14 for that matter (the issues are similar). I'd send them elsewhere on the network (there are far better places for it), and this might be what they were briefed to do but misunderstood?

Oh yes I totally agree, I was at Birkenhead North at the time on a practically empty platform, just taking a one off shot of my train, I rarely linger at stations in the UK anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.