• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail - Feet on Seats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
What is the current legislation re Merseyrail and feet on seats. What would be the maximum penalty for this and what would be the usual penalty for a first time offender.

I am an infrequent traveller on Merseyrail but have noticed their warning signs in passing when down for football matchs, but the reason I'm asking is that I had a passenger on one of my trains recently who had chewing gum on his (looked like an expensive) suit trousers and was thinking of the inconvenience (time to go to dry cleaners) and money (cost of same) involved and think this Merseyrail policy should be rolled out nationwide.

Any thoughts welcome.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
but the reason I'm asking is that I had a passenger on one of my trains recently who had chewing gum on his (looked like an expensive) suit trousers and was thinking of the inconvenience (time to go to dry cleaners) and money (cost of same) involved and think this Merseyrail policy should be rolled out nationwide.

So are you implying some of the money from the fines should go to inconvenienced passengers?

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
So are you implying some of the money from the fines should go to inconvenienced passengers?

I suppose so - some of the fine (or potentially an additional victim surcharge could be added - average cost of dry cleaning plus inconvinience factor) could be ringfenced for compensation claims?

Would this be complex to introduce?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The last time that I travelled from Kirkby to Sandhills and from Sandhills to Hall Road, there were numerous notices about this matter in every carriage of the set, so it appears that they are really adamant about this. I cannot believe that anyone could claim not to have seen these notices.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What is the current legislation re Merseyrail and feet on seats. What would be the maximum penalty for this and what would be the usual penalty for a first time offender.

They normally use the byelaws and I think specifically:

6. Unacceptable behaviour
(4) No person shall soil any part of the railway.

Byelaw offences (other than 17) are punishable by a penalty not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale which I believe equals £1000.

bronzeonion

I absolutely cannot stand feet on seats, when I put my feet up I always put a newspaper underneath.

I totally agree with rolling the Merseyrail approach nationwide.

WillPS

Established Member
I don't see a problem so long as it doesn't happen when it's anything other than quiet, and shoes are taken off.

Jordeh

I don't advocate putting feet on seats but people should be more careful when they sit on seats (Especially if they're in a suit) to avoid sitting on chewing gum, it's common sense really.

Any compensation scheme would be open to a lot of abuse and really isn't that practical.

Yew

Established Member
What about the sides of feet? I often sit with one foot tucked under the knee of the other leg. (imagine sitting cross legged on a chair, and putting one leg down into the normal position

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I don't see a problem so long as it doesn't happen when it's anything other than quiet, and shoes are taken off.

I agree though when I do it I use a newspaper on the seat and put my feet on the newspaper.

bronzeonion

Shoes taken off, fair enough its just when the soles of someones shoes are in contact with the seat is there a problem

CC 72100

Established Member
I think another way of dealing with this could be to out little bars just below the seat opposite you, so you can rest your feet on there instead of on the seat. For the record, I never put my feet on the seats, it just feels a bit 'wrong'. It's like your lounging out on a train - it just doesn't seem right to me. Chewing gum is far worse mind, especially those lazy people who can't be bothered to find a bin and leave it for someone else to sit in or get stuck to their shoe!

trainophile

Established Member
Some parents seem to think the feet on seats rules don't apply to their small children, and let them stand up and climb around on the seats. :roll:.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Some parents seem to think the feet on seats rules don't apply to their small children, and let them stand up and climb around on the seats. :roll:.

The same ones that let their sprogs stand up in supermarket shopping trolleys! Revolting!

Status
Not open for further replies.