• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail: funding for Headbolt Lane and St James stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Planner

Veteran Member
I'm taking the doubling being referred to is simply that between Kirkby (exclusive) and Headbolt Lane (inclusive). The rest of the route to Rainford Junction would remain single, as I doubt there's a reason to double it until Skelmersdale happens (but Headbolt Lane is built in such a way to permit double track to continue through).
Again, spot on Sir.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm intrigued as to why 3 platforms, as I can't see that being necessary at any point, neither now nor when it eventually runs to Skem - or does it require an extra unit in the Kirkby circuit and therefore a layover of more than 15 minutes?

Skie

That would be in keeping with them having already purchased an extra 777 for this extension.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I'm intrigued as to why 3 platforms, as I can't see that being necessary at any point, neither now nor when it eventually runs to Skem - or does it require an extra unit in the Kirkby circuit and therefore a layover of more than 15 minutes?

I presume that the current Kirkby turnround is insufficient to get to Headbolt Lane and back, so an extra set is required. But that means one train arriving at Headbolt Lane as the previous train (that it would have formed at Kirkby) departs. Entirely possible that the double track from Kirkby to Headbolt Lane will, in effect, be signalled as two bidirectional tracks to permit this.

The Planner

Veteran Member
I presume that the current Kirkby turnround is insufficient to get to Headbolt Lane and back, so an extra set is required. But that means one train arriving at Headbolt Lane as the previous train (that it would have formed at Kirkby) departs. Entirely possible that the double track from Kirkby to Headbolt Lane will, in effect, be signalled as two bidirectional tracks to permit this.
Have you been looking at the signalling plan? as that is the set up :D Though you won't be able to depart until the first one has arrived.

Established Member
Calm down.

Calm down. :lol:

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Kirby might well be. But Kirkby is where I spent some of the happiest years of my life. So let's not allow ill-informed prejudice derail a thread about trains.

I'd not say it was the nicest place in the world, but it's hardly the worst either. Very similar in concept to Wythenshawe, or indeed parts of Bletchley, in being a 1960s overspill.

But yes back to trains :)

mcnw35282

Has anyone seen a diagram of Headbolt Lane station layout...and where exactly the station will be situated? I'd always assumed it was gonna be around the area where the footbridge is currently...but not much space to fit a 300 space car park and bus facility? (Unless they’ll be on the Northwood side where Overdale school used to be?)

mr_jrt

Established Member
I was under the impression they purchased the school site for precisely that reason?

mcnw35282

I was under the impression they purchased the school site for precisely that reason?
Ah right...for some reason I thought the entrance would be on the Tower Hill side. Now that I’ve looked at google street view, I suppose there probably is room to fit these facilities on the patch of land opposite where the school used to be. Think they’re building houses on the school side.

mr_jrt

Established Member
I went and had a look to remind myself and it was the former sports college they obtained, I think.

mcnw35282

Yeah. Had a quick look from the Headbolt Lane side and it looks like all the land I mentioned is being used for new housing

PR1Berske

Established Member
Surely they can’t call it Headbolt Lane?

It would look daft on departure boards at Manchester Victoria (or even further east if the trains originate from elsewhere?)

Got to be Kirkby Northwood?

Mind you they will probably go for Knowsley Parkway.

"Headbolt Lane" has been the proposed name for nigh on 30 (40?) years. It's the name used in every current press release and official update. I can't see them suddenly switching to something else. I'm afraid that I can't quite understand why it would be "daft" to have Headbolt Lane on a departure board!

snowball

Established Member
It's not unknown for things to change their name on opening. I suppose the domain of roads is a bit different from that of railway stations, but the Newcastle Western Bypass was always officially referred to as A69 through the years it was being planned and built, but became A1 on completion.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
"Headbolt Lane" has been the proposed name for nigh on 30 (40?) years. It's the name used in every current press release and official update. I can't see them suddenly switching to something else. I'm afraid that I can't quite understand why it would be "daft" to have Headbolt Lane on a departure board!

Probably just because it is a bit generic to have on the board at Manchester Vic, say. But I reckon it'll be shown as Kirkby Headbolt Lane, or Headbolt Lane (Kirkby), to avoid confusion.

On the Merseyrail side, like the Tube, it doesn't really matter.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Probably just because it is a bit generic to have on the board at Manchester Vic, say. But I reckon it'll be shown as Kirkby Headbolt Lane, or Headbolt Lane (Kirkby), to avoid confusion.

On the Merseyrail side, like the Tube, it doesn't really matter.
Is it being over-optimistic to say that it may well be academic - or near to academic? If the Skem branch goes ahead at the same time, Headbolt Lane may never be a terminus: if Skem follows shortly after, then it may be a terminus for no more than a year or two.

And hopefully it's being over-pessimistic to assume it won't be needed because Merseyrail never gets that far.

Djgr

Established Member
The change from Allerton Interchange to Liverpool South Parkway was fairly last-minute.

urbophile

Established Member
If it were to be promoted as a Parkway station it would need good road access. Are there any plans to upgrade the narrow residential streets which will surround it? Not that I am advocating road building; some improvement for local access will probably be needed, but if it were a hub for a wider area it would be difficult without at least one major link (from the M58?).

Uk125

Will it increase the frequency between Kirkby - Wigan?

I'm looking to move to rainford junction. I viewed a house there yesterday.. literally 1 min walk to the station so very handy BUT... going home is bad timing..I finish work at 4.30pm in Liverpool city, the next train goes to rainford junction is 5.10pm so therefore I have to wait for 40 mins.

I'd prepare to move there if they'll increase the tph then it'll be a good investment to buy a house there now.

Any chance there will be more than 1 tph once the line electrified and new headbolt station developed?

Thanks

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Will it increase the frequency between Kirkby - Wigan?

I'm looking to move to rainford junction. I viewed a house there yesterday.. literally 1 min walk to the station so very handy BUT... going home is bad timing..I finish work at 4.30pm in Liverpool city, the next train goes to rainford junction is 5.10pm so therefore I have to wait for 40 mins.

I'd prepare to move there if they'll increase the tph then it'll be a good investment to buy a house there now.

Any chance there will be more than 1 tph once the line electrified and new headbolt station developed?

Thanks

Headbolt Lane won't do this, all it'll do is move your change point one stop along. Skem might, though, assuming it goes ahead (which I don't think is yet a given).

Uk125

Really? I thought the whole point of this project is connect 2 lines so there are direct run between Liverpool and Wigan once the line is fully electrified

Status
Not open for further replies.