• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WCMLaddict

Merseyrail are looking to have a quick turnaround with these jobs as the guards training is planned in the middle of September.
They are expecting a large number of drivers to retire in coming months so a number of experienced guards will go to drivers jobs (Merseyrail recruit drivers almost entirely from their guards)
Their depots are at Birkenhead Central, Kirkdale and Southport.

Good luck to everyone

387star

On Moderation
Interesting. I was under the impression recruiting drivers from guards is less common but I guess MerseyRail dosen't have so many employees

Last edited:

Established Member
Recruitment days at Merseyrail are often 75% internal candidates mixed with 25% external.

Bit daunting when 75% have been told to turn up in full uniform.

WCMLaddict

Sorry, I wouldn't know how many positions there are altogether but they haven't done any recruitment for a while I think plus they don't mention which depot it is for so it might be quite a few.

baldyman26

It's all gone a bit quiet on this subject, any news when Merseyrail will be letting the applyees know

Beveridges

Established Member
Interesting. I was under the impression recruiting drivers from guards is less common but I guess MerseyRail dosen't have so many employees

It's also common in Northern to recruit Drivers from Guards and they're one of the biggest TOC's in terms of number of employees

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
Still all very quiet, even internally. Been told about 3 times "you'll hear by the end of this week" so I've given up asking.

I'm on leave next week, so that'll probably be when the assessment day is! :P

baldyman26

No I've heard nothing, so either they have had their quick turn around internally, or the job has disappeared. Would be nice to have some response from them either way. :(

Jon1

I was thinking the same thing tbh, they normally are good at communicating tbh. That's why I find it a little strange

baldyman26

Surely in todays job climate, they should not advertise until after all internal options have been exhausted. I didn't get my hopes up but come on Merseyrail, if you have filled your positions internally then you really shouldn't have us going through another wasted application process. Ok it was posting a CV but when you are doing 5-10 per day, it all adds up.

Mix107

I completely agree, a lot of these companies think you have nothing better to do except waste time applying for jobs you'll probably never get. Network Rail one of the worst culprits for advertising externally than filling internally from experience and inside knowledge. Makes you wonder if it just justifies the numbers in their HR departments!

However we all continue to apply or have applied time and time again until we get the job we want or give up and pursue something else. While there's plenty still doing it, the process won't change!

Silv1983

I disagree. Like all companies they want the best people for the job, and I think it's good that TOCs allow external candidates to apply to widen the prospective talent pool.
Granted its frustrating and the odds are slimmer for the majority of external candidates that apply, but if you're application doesn't meet what they're looking for - your time would be better spent trying to get your CV to stand out rather than having a dig at the TOC and criticising an opportunity. Alternatively you could all protest by refusing to grace them with external applications with anything other than cleaning positions allowing you to work your way up internally, and after a couple of years kicking open the HR office door and snorting "ner ner ner ner ner". I joke of course - don't do that...

Mix107

Silv 1983

I agree with you I wouldn't want the TOCS or Network Rail to stop advertising externally at all.
I have got a trainee train driver role as an external candidate, but I do have previous railway experience as a Signaller with NR. But I do remember from the amount of applications and time you put in, how frustrating the whole process can be!

It's just with companies like NR I do wonder if sometimes it's a token gesture or due to employment policy that they do it and external candidates just make up the numbers. For example why advertise signaller vacancies externally, when 9 times out of 10 there are plenty of internal candidates being displaced from small boxes around the country who get the jobs.

All I am saying is if you advertise externally it would be nice if the companies appreciated a bit more the experience outside candidates could bring to a role, time and effort they put in to their applications and give them more consideration.

baldyman26

I disagree. Like all companies they want the best people for the job, and I think it's good that TOCs allow external candidates to apply to widen the prospective talent pool.
Granted its frustrating and the odds are slimmer for the majority of external candidates that apply, but if you're application doesn't meet what they're looking for - your time would be better spent trying to get your CV to stand out rather than having a dig at the TOC and criticising an opportunity. Alternatively you could all protest by refusing to grace them with external applications with anything other than cleaning positions allowing you to work your way up internally, and after a couple of years kicking open the HR office door and snorting "ner ner ner ner ner". I joke of course - don't do that...

You are right and wrong, My CV is an honest account of my working career and skills, if it isn't what companies I apply to, train operators or not are looking for then so be it. My point was that Merseyrail and other TOC'S know who they have working for them, and also know if they are suitable prior to asking us mere mortals to forward our interest. I apply because I feel I have something to give, but should advertising for a job that they probably know isn't going to go to somebody from outside be allowed. I think they should advertise AFTER they have exhausted internal candidates.

Silv1983

I would like to think the applications are regulated - ie reviewed to see how many externals are taken on. Would stop tokenistic external vacancy advertising. Who knows!

Established Member
.....but if you're application doesn't meet what they're looking for - your time would be better spent trying to get your CV to stand out rather than having a dig at the TOC and criticising an opportunity. .....

I disagree lol. I would agree if things were fair. Here's why they ain't.

Interviewer
Give examples from your past relevant to this job.
Response
(Several real situations from (quite a few) years of doing precisely that job.)
Interviewer
Your answers do not demonstrate enough experience relative to that job.
Response
But as manager I even trained staff to do that job for four of my nine years?
Interviewer
No. Your answers do not demonstrate enough experience relative to that job.

If they have already picked who they want for the job, they should advertise the vacancy in the Outer Hebrides Chronicle, 'if they have to'. Alternatively, they could hire EWS (DB) to do their recruitment for them.. far less political.

Status
Not open for further replies.