• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail or Northenrail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rollin'Royce

Hi, Question for you guys here who may have experience with either of these two companies. As an aspiring train driver based in southport, I was wondering if anyone could recommend which company is best to drive for and why?

Thanks in advance,
Rollin'Royce

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Neil73

I'm certainly no expert but from what I can gleam from this forum and other sources just getting a position in ANY TOC and you're onto a winner!!

SkinnyDave

Established Member
And Transpennine express are recruiting for Liverpool closing date 23rd

Beveridges

Established Member
Northern's nearest depots from Southport are Lime St, Allerton (Depot Driving), and Wigan. All around 20 miles away. No trainee vacancies expected at Wigan for 5+ years. Lime St normally advertise once every year or two.
Northern is probably less repetitive work than Mersey Rail and higher salary so they must be the best of the 2 to drive for. Certainly Lime Street have a few class 1 "expresses" (like Lime St-Man Air via Chat Moss) so less stopping and starting as well.

Last edited:

It's very very rare merseyrail advertise externally as they tend to recruit drivers from within. My friend was lucky with them though and got a conductor position from a speculative CV he sent on the off chance though.
As stated above though just get your foot in the door any way you can and side step from there!!

Status
Not open for further replies.