• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail to ban smoking on station property (except car parks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
As the title suggests Merseyrail have finally caught up with the rest of the UK and are banning smoking on their outside platforms and other station property except for car parks.

https://www.merseyrail.org/news/merseyrail-launches-smoking-ban-at-all-stations.aspx

Merseyrail has announced a smoking ban at all stations on its network from 1 December.

From this date, passengers will not be allowed to smoke in any public areas of Merseyrail stations or platforms with the exception of car parks.

The move comes off the back of the national Stoptober campaign, and is part of Merseyrail’s commitment to cleaner air and the comfort of its passengers across the network.

Vaping and e-cigarettes are also included in the ban, and Merseyrail staff and Byelaw Enforcement Officers will be actively requesting passengers to stop smoking on platforms and other areas of stations from December.

Warnings will be issued to anyone smoking on platforms on 1 December, however those that continue may be fined from 1 January 2020.

Andy Heath, Managing Director of Merseyrail, said: “The comfort of passengers on our network is absolutely paramount to us, so I am pleased to announce a smoking ban across all of our stations and platforms.

“Those who wish to smoke will be able to do so in station car parks or off station property, however we want all passengers to be able to use our trains and stations comfortably and without the risks of passive smoking, such as lung cancer, asthma and pneumonia.”

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BucksBones

I hadn't realised Merseyrail had different rules; I'd assumed there would be some sort of legislation in place covering the entire network.

Is Merseyrail an exception or is it generally down to operators to decide what rules to implement in their stations?

urbophile

Established Member
I've not seen many people smoking even in the currently-permitted areas of stations. Though I get fidgety sometimes if someone gets a fag ready to put in their mouth while they are still on the train. Even if they do they are usually well off the platform before they light it.

transmanche

Established Member
I hadn't realised Merseyrail had different rules; I'd assumed there would be some sort of legislation in place covering the entire network.

Is Merseyrail an exception or is it generally down to operators to decide what rules to implement in their stations?
The 'normal' no-smoking legislation doesn't ban smoking on open-air platforms. I believe it's down to the TOC to apply by-laws as they see fit. And most have gone for a complete smoking ban, as it's easier to explain. (No issues with people standing the wrong side of the line, or smoke drifting into a no-smoking area, etc.)

When the smoking ban was introduced in Wales (which was before it was introduced in England) ATW banned smoking at all of their stations - even those in England. ATW's view was it was simpler to ban smoking at all of their stations, rather than allow it at just a few of them.

Last edited:

BucksBones

The 'normal' no-smoking legislation doesn't ban smoking on open-air platforms. I believe it's down to the TOC to apply by-laws as they see fit. And most have gone for a complete smoking ban, as it's easier to explain. (No issues with people standing the wrong side of the line, or smoke drifting into a no-smoking area, etc.)

When the smoking ban was introduced in Wales (which was before it was introduced in England) they banned smoking at all of their stations - even those in England. ATW's view was it was simpler to ban smoking at all of their stations, rather than allow it at just a few of them.

Interesting, thanks!

Tomos y Tanc

It's worth remembering that as well as other issues around passenger comfort etc, there was a financial incentive for station operators like ATW to go further than the law required. The saving in cleaning costs etc wasn't huge but given the popularity of a total ban it made the decision something of a no-brainer.

It was also pretty much self-policing with other passengers ensuring that the ban was adhered to. There are always exceptions, of course, but most smokers are reasonable people and after a grumble or two accepted the ban.

Terry Tait

I remember the day after the smoking ban watching a man being told off for smoking on the platform just as an 37 come through belching black smoke everywhere and thinking how stupid to ban smoking on a wind swept platform in the middle of nowhere.

johnmoly

Is this Merseyrail itself or Merseytravel area. What about stations on the City Line, not exactly Merseyrail Electrics as its mainly Northern that run trains.

TheSel

Interesting that: " ... Byelaw Enforcement Officers will be actively requesting passengers to stop smoking on platforms and other areas of stations from December."

Is there a way of PASSIVELY requesting this, or is this simply another example of a Press Release using words for no purpose? Rather like Merseyrail's constant announcements that passengers must "Remain behind the yellow line until the train has come to a complete stand". I can tell whether a train is moving or at a stand, but I'm still trying to work out how to tell whether it's just at a stand or at a COMPLETE stand. Anyone know the difference?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Is this Merseyrail itself or Merseytravel area. What about stations on the City Line, not exactly Merseyrail Electrics as its mainly Northern that run trains.
Smoking is already banned at Northern Rail stations and has been since all English Tocs (except Merseyrail) and Network Rail introduced a ban on 1st July 2007. In England, it is only Merseyrail that chose not to ban smoking at their above-ground stations. Note that at their above-ground stations Merseyrail did prohibit smoking in waiting shelters or indoors where this would otherwise be illegal under the Health Act 2006.

Gwenllian2001

I remember the day after the smoking ban watching a man being told off for smoking on the platform just as an 37 come through belching black smoke everywhere and thinking how stupid to ban smoking on a wind swept platform in the middle of nowhere.
I remember a similar situation at Bridgend. A middle aged lady had gone to the end of the platform for a smoke, far away from anyone else. A 125 was standing at the station blowing black smoke over everything, not to mention the diesel fumes, from idling taxis , drifting into the booking hall. The public address system burst into life instructing the lady to extinguish her cigarette as the smoke was upsetting other people.

johnmoly

The above is typical British way of thinking, telling lies by officials acting big in front of others. I reckon anyone caught smoking should report it to the European Courts, while we are still in EU, as I'm sure the original ruling on 2007 covered just smoking under a roof with at least one side covered. No matter what the local bye- laws state.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The above is typical British way of thinking, telling lies by officials acting big in front of others. I reckon anyone caught smoking should report it to the European Courts, while we are still in EU, as I'm sure the original ruling on 2007 covered just smoking under a roof with at least one side covered. No matter what the local bye- laws state.

Owners of private property get to stipulate what activities may or may not be carried on there. The ECHR (which isn't the EU) won't give a monkey's.

johnmoly

I've read in the Daily Telegraph over a number of years that some Council bye-laws are illegal. I forget which Councils and bye-laws they were.

transmanche

Established Member
TI reckon anyone caught smoking should report it to the European Courts, while we are still in EU, as I'm sure the original ruling on 2007 covered just smoking under a roof with at least one side covered.
Why on earth would the ECJ be interested? It's not a competency of the EU, but of national (or sub-national) governments. Or if you're thinking of human rights, the ECHR (which is nothing to do with the EU) would simply laugh at you.

No matter what the local bye- laws state.
Utter nonsense! Of course bylaws can extend primary legislation.

Smoking has been banned throughout the Tyne & Wear Metro ever since it opened in 1980. And on London Underground since 1987 (1984 on the trains themselves). That's all long before the Health Act 2006 was thought of, which introduced the 'smoking ban' in England. (The devolved governments in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales had already introduced their own similar legislation.)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Smoking has been banned throughout the Tyne & Wear Metro ever since it opened in 1980. And on London Underground since 1987 (1984 on the trains themselves). That's all long before the Health Act 2006 was thought of, which introduced the 'smoking ban' in England. (The devolved governments in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales had already introduced their own similar legislation.)

And despite it being allowed on platforms more recently, Merseyrail banned it on the trains and the underground stations in the 1980s as a direct result of the Kings Cross fire.

transmanche

Established Member
And despite it being allowed on platforms more recently, Merseyrail banned it on the trains and the underground stations in the 1980s as a direct result of the Kings Cross fire.
Although London Underground introduced a total smoking ban in 1987, you could still smoke in the smoking carriages of Network SouthEast trains that used LU tracks/stations. So, for a while, you had the odd situation where you could smoke on Northern City line train, but not on the platforms at Highbury & Islington, Old Street and Moorgate as they were LU stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.