• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseytravel fares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
I want to know why fares such as from Meols Cop to Heswall are significantly more expensive than Southport to Bidston when they are also in the Merseytravel PTE area. Similar stations to the first two are Rainford, Hough Green and Upton which aren't served by Merseyrail.

Is it simply because the subsidy for the area is not big enough to allow these stations to be included in having discounted fares?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I think Heswall's fare is set by ATW. There's some ridiculously priced fares for journeys beyond the Borderlands line.

AntoniC

Could it be because Meols Cop is on the Southport -Mcr route and served by a different train company (Northern Rail (I think)) to Merseyrail ?.

Because Southport to Bidston is all on Merseyrail.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Because Southport to Bidston is all on Merseyrail.

Burscough Junction - Bidston is not all on Miseryrail but is still priced by them.

As mentioned by 185, this is all to do with who prices the flow.

redthunder

It depends if your planning to travel in the morning peak or not, but a £4.60 all zones saveaway ticket should cover your entire journey shouldn't it??

I'm more inclined also to say that ATW sets the Meols Cop - Heswall fare, and is much cheaper splitting it at Bidston but even then it's still more than buying a saveaway

Last edited:

Gathursty

Established Member
I was expecting replies about who sets the flow prices. My issue is if you take TfGM, any journey between two stations (take extremal points to consider alongside my OP) is the same price (£3.90) and you can take any valid TOC service for this price. It's just a shame that Merseytravel haven't got a similar price structure in place for these communities to enjoy too.

Status
Not open for further replies.